Last 4 games on SU schedule loom large | Syracusefan.com

Last 4 games on SU schedule loom large

M

Manleymen

Looking at the last 4 games, Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Miami - we have to win at least 3 of those to finish somewhat above .500 - imho. Then hope for a deep run in the ACC tourney for a chance to the big dance. Right now it looks like we will be around 15-11 going into those last 4 games. If we cannot win the last 4 tough match ups We are at .500. Anybody read the crystal ball differently?

I’ll make it easier. With our lack of food wins and abundance of bad losses, we need to beat Duke at least once

Looking at the last 4 games, Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Miami - we have to win at least 3 of those to finish somewhat above .500 - imho. Then hope for a deep run in the ACC tourney for a chance to the big dance. Right now it looks like we will be around 15-11 going into those last 4 games. If we cannot win the last 4 tough match ups We are at .500. Anybody read the crystal ball differently?
Honest question, what makes you think this team can get even to those 15 wins?

I am banking on them (with duct tape and prayers) beating FL State and Clemson. They beat Boston College twice, Louisville,, Pitt, Wake Forest. Any of the last 4 against Duke, N. Carolina, ND, Miami would help.....

Last edited by a moderator:
i do think we are largely fooling ourselves.

I could see us having a similar record to what we had in 2017... 18-14. We were not selected to the tourney that year, and that was in a year that ended with 6 ACC teams ranked, in which we had 3 top 10 wins, and really only had one truly bad loss -- that disaster vs St Johns (i have NOT gone in and studied things like NET rankings so I could be off a smidge)

We absolutely have to beat Duke once and make a deep ACCT run to even be in the ballpark, and even then, I don't see it.

Or we need to do something crazy like win 11+ of their last 14 or something.

I am sure there are going to be a million reasons cited why the parallel doesnt work, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Let's be real- no one in the ACC managed to snag a ranking from their non conference slate absent Duke. Miami has the best shot of anyone maybe UNC by default of being UNC. After that the bus to the top 25 is gone. Of course someone could go on a crazy run.. Notre Dame for instance if they win 5 more in a row too but these are unlikely scenarios.

What that means is we need to be top 5 in the conference with a win over Duke if we want a chance. Outside of that it's only winning the ACCT. ACC is even weaker than last year by a good margin. Big East is stronger and the other conferences are holding onto being as solid as last year.

Our best chance of making the tournament is being on the opposite side of the ACCT bracket of Dook and UNC. Then we just need to shoot 45% from three and not turn the ball over 15+ times four games in a row.

That simple!

Let's be real- no one in the ACC managed to snag a ranking from their non conference slate absent Duke. Miami has the best shot of anyone maybe UNC by default of being UNC. After that the bus to the top 25 is gone. Of course someone could go on a crazy run.. Notre Dame for instance if they win 5 more in a row too but these are unlikely scenarios.

What that means is we need to be top 5 in the conference with a win over Duke if we want a chance. Outside of that it's only winning the ACCT. ACC is even weaker than last year by a good margin. Big East is stronger and the other conferences are holding onto being as solid as last year.
ACC will get between 4-6 teams.

Duke, UNC, Miami look strong
Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest a couple will emerge. Maybe Florida State but I don’t think they are there yet.

The rest need to win the conference tournament.

2-2 would be fine.

I am banking on them (with duct tape and prayers) beating FL State and Clemson. They beat Boston College twice, Louisville,, Pitt, Wake Forest. Any of the last 4 against Duke, N. Carolina, ND, Miami would help...
I think there’s also a good chance we could beat NC State or Va Tech on the road. Because I could see us losing to Fla State or Clemson at home. It never goes exactly as expected. I’m just hoping we finish over .500.

Our best chance of making the tournament is being on the opposite side of the ACCT bracket of Dook and UNC. Then we just need to shoot 45% from three and not turn the ball over 15+ times four games in a row.

That simple!

I’ve thought for a few weeks now that the auto bid is the most realistic path. With how bad the ACC is Duke is the only team that Syracuse would be a heavy underdog against on a neutral floor.

As many problems as Syracuse has, they actually would have a legitimate shot at making a run in the ACCT with how many issues the other teams have as well.

I’ve thought for a few weeks now that the auto bid is the most realistic path. With how bad the ACC is Duke is the only team that Syracuse would be a heavy underdog against on a neutral floor.

As many problems as Syracuse has, they actually would have a legitimate shot at making a run in the ACCT with how many issues the other teams have as well.

What's more realistic? Sweeping Duke in the regular season, or running the table in the ACC which would (likely) include a Duke win?

Everyone will likely say the latter...(and maybe it is)...but the first scenario requires 2 perfect games, the other requires 1 perfect game and 4 or 5 very good games in a row. That consistency we have not shown at all and it worries me.

I'm not saying we will sweep Duke. At ALL. I'm merely stating i think both paths are next to impossible to imagine

What's more realistic? Sweeping Duke in the regular season, or running the table in the ACC which would (likely) include a Duke win?

Everyone will likely say the latter...(and maybe it is)...but the first scenario requires 2 perfect games, the other requires 1 perfect game and 4 or 5 very good games in a row. That consistency we have not shown at all and it worries me.

I'm not saying we will sweep Duke. At ALL. I'm merely stating i think both paths are next to impossible to imagine

Don’t get me wrong, by “most realistic” I just meant relative to earning an at-large bid. The chances of them winning the ACC tournament are still very small.

Syracuse’s resume is so bad right now they would have to play really good basketball for the next 2 months to get into consideration for an at-large bid (they’d need to win a lot more than just the Duke games). To get an at-large bid they’d need to play really good basketball for 4 days.

Either way, chances are slim. At this point it’s probably just better to watch the games and hope for steady improvement and that some of the younger players who will be important to next years squad continue to grow.

Don’t get me wrong, by “most realistic” I just meant relative to earning an at-large bid. The chances of them winning the ACC tournament are still very small.

Syracuse’s resume is so bad right now they would have to play really good basketball for the next 2 months to get into consideration for an at-large bid (they’d need to win a lot more than just the Duke games). To get an at-large bid they’d need to play really good basketball for 4 days.

Either way, chances are slim. At this point it’s probably just better to watch the games and hope for steady improvement and that some of the younger players who will be important to next years squad continue to grow.
Oh I agree, and please dont take my post as an affront...I was just playing devils advocate. Both pathways are really tough

I am banking on them (with duct tape and prayers) beating FL State and Clemson. They beat Boston College twice, Louisville,, Pitt, Wake Forest. Any of the last 4 against Duke, N. Carolina, ND, Miami would help...
Today was the epitome of why I haven't had any faith in this team winning more than like 12 games

Finish somewhere above .500?

I'd be shocked if they don't lose at least 3 of the four, to be honest.

Finish somewhere above .500?

I'd be shocked if they don't lose at least 3 of the four, to be honest.
I’m not convinced we beat Pitt. It really all depends if they learned anything from their loss and they actually scouted us. I find it hard to believe they don’t realize they need to pressure the ball against Joe, if they don’t this game Capel deserves to be fired.

We can't win 4 games in 4 days with no bench.

We might not even get an NIT invite you have to have a better season than we are to be one of the next 32 best teams.

We can't win 4 games in 4 days with no bench.

We might not even get an NIT invite you have to have a better season than we are to be one of the next 32 best teams.
We'll be seeded lower. We'll have to play Tuesday. It'll take 5 wins in a row. Pipe dream.

When I first saw this headline, I was hopeful that there were only 4 games left in the season.
Then I saw another thread that shows we really have 14 games left.
I can't bear it. If I happen to see them on, fine. But this is awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom