Last Time We Have Seen A WR Go Up and Get IT? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Last Time We Have Seen A WR Go Up and Get IT?

Jamal Custis and Steve Ish ofc, Amba would consistently go up and get it.

Yeah - Amba turned 50/50 balls into 90/10 balls.
He rarely didn’t come down with it in a contested catch situation.

While he did have some drops (pretty much every WR does at some point), he was really amazing at winning those battles pretty consistently.

It's amazing after the success of Taj Harris, AET, and Trish... that we can't get at least one highly sought after WR per class... whether through the portal or HS. We need to upgrade the WR recruiting angle, it should have been the easiest sales pitch.

It's amazing after the success of Taj Harris, AET, and Trish... that we can't get at least one highly sought after WR per class... whether through the portal or HS. We need to upgrade the WR recruiting angle, it should have been the easiest sales pitch.

And to add to that, we’ve recruited a lot of WR’s. Crazy none at this point have really turned into big time players.

In the Dino era three stand out. Custis, Ish and Amba. 2/3 were not his recruits... interesting

Trying to remember all of the very good-to-great starting receivers in the post Johnnie Morant era:

Great (INPO) - In their best seasons, these Guys you felt were snagging every YOLO ball.
=========
-Mike Williams
-Ish
-AET
-Trishton

Very Good - Productive (in some cases VERY dependable) but they didn't seem to be consistently-electric game breakers
=======
-Erv
-Lemon
-Sales (came on late in his career)
-Estime
-Custis
-J. West
-Tyree
-The transfer who played early in the Robinson era (forget his name) and only stayed for two years. - update: This was Taj Smith.

I am sure I am missing a couple guys that belong in the second list, but doubtful that I am missing anyone from the first. The much longer list would be the "other" types of starters (Lane, Moss, Chew, etc.)

...then you could have a fourth list of the many receivers who we expected would be superstars, and ended up doing close to nothing (Lavar Lobdell...I am looking at you!).

Last edited:
To go up and get it you need a quarterback who will throw it up there. Tommy just wouldn't throw a ball like that. And I don't think ball placement is high on the priority list for Shrader, I think we're content at this point to just have him put balls in the general vicinity of our receivers that are catchable.

I'd much rather have receivers who consistently catch balls that hit them in the hands right now.

tommy kane had 19 catches in '86. 3 were touchdowns. 44 catches in '87 14 were touchdowns.
then he did some other stuff.

And to add to that, we’ve recruited a lot of WR’s. Crazy none at this point have really turned into big time players.
Its called coaching. Dont you find it pretty amazing that our OL is doing so well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom