Last Time We Have Seen A WR Go Up and Get IT? | Syracusefan.com

Last Time We Have Seen A WR Go Up and Get IT?

Cuse12

All Conference
This just hit me like a brick this AM when I was watching some of our 2018 game highlights (I like reminiscing on the only ranked season we have had that I can remember in my lifetime) and I was noticing WRs all over the place going up and making plays. On both Cuse and the opposing team's.

That brings me to our team... Holy crap we have SUB PAR WR's to the max. Do we have some good pieces? Yes, C. Jackson, Pena, Queeley. They are all "good" pieces to a WR rotation, but oh my gosh we have no one who can go up and get his own. I literally was in disbelief at how good WF's WRs were... literally a dream that seems so far fetched right now. The last player who could truly go up and get it was Steve Ishmael and maybe I can throw Custis in there too? (He was big and outran CBs, but I did not see him leaping and high pointing a ton of balls in his time here.)

Think about how big these two plays were for Clemson last week. #1 - the fake punt throw that the TE(?) went up and got. #2 - the beast of a WR making our CBs look like children in the endzone to catch the TD. Both were plays made by the WR. We do not have anything like that at all on our team.

This makes everything harder in the passing game. And it is a factor that I feel is not discussed enough. I do see that Dino went out and went after more size, which is great and all, but jury is out until they mature more.

I hope Gadson and Alford become a scary combo, it could make next year something pretty "special" I think.

When marginal passes become better than 50/50 balls its a lot easier to make plays on offense.. when you cant create separation or win 50/50 balls or make tough catches things get real hard.

Alford has gotten in good spots on deep throws 5-6 times in limited plays but we struggle to make the throws into good areas. Jackson has make some nice catches. Too bad Cooper is done after this yr he actually looks like the kind of player we want in the slot.

Our big guys have to play big and go get the ball. just the last 2 weeks we have lost games on WR just making plays ob solid coverage.

I know we have lost couple games because WF and Clemson WRs were able to make plays on balls that were well covered. Alford is the guy I’m waiting for to develop, fast , tall , athletic, if he gets a little savy he could be something. We have other burners like Pena . He made a really nice play on the TD catch Friday.

When marginal passes become better than 50/50 balls its a lot easier to make plays on offense.. when you cant create separation or win 50/50 balls or make tough catches things get real hard.

Alford has gotten in good spots on deep throws 5-6 times in limited plays but we struggle to make the throws into good areas. Jackson has make some nice catches. Too bad Cooper is done after this yr he actually looks like the kind of player we want in the slot.

Our big guys have to play big and go get the ball. just the last 2 weeks we have lost games on WR just making plays ob solid coverage.
Didn’t somebody say Cooper has another year somehow if he wants ??? Or am I mixing him up with someone else.

This just hit me like a brick this AM when I was watching some of our 2018 game highlights (I like reminiscing on the only ranked season we have had that I can remember in my lifetime) and I was noticing WRs all over the place going up and making plays. On both Cuse and the opposing team's.

That brings me to our team... Holy crap we have SUB PAR WR's to the max. Do we have some good pieces? Yes, C. Jackson, Pena, Queeley. They are all "good" pieces to a WR rotation, but oh my gosh we have no one who can go up and get his own. I literally was in disbelief at how good WF's WRs were... literally a dream that seems so far fetched right now. The last player who could truly go up and get it was Steve Ishmael and maybe I can throw Custis in there too? (He was big and outran CBs, but I did not see him leaping and high pointing a ton of balls in his time here.)

Think about how big these two plays were for Clemson last week. #1 - the fake punt throw that the TE(?) went up and got. #2 - the beast of a WR making our CBs look like children in the endzone to catch the TD. Both were plays made by the WR. We do not have anything like that at all on our team.

This makes everything harder in the passing game. And it is a factor that I feel is not discussed enough. I do see that Dino went out and went after more size, which is great and all, but jury is out until they mature more.

I hope Gadson and Alford become a scary combo, it could make next year something pretty "special" I think.
Just this week. Alford would have made such a catch had he not been assaulted by the DB. I use that term mostly seriously.

Anyone know the deal with Ja'Vontae Williams? Good offers coming out of Florida, a lot of hype coming out of camp, making circus catches, and we get nothing from him during the season? Our current receivers aren't lighting the world on fire, why doesn't this kid get some burn?

1634831612077.png

Didn’t somebody say Cooper has another year somehow if he wants ??? Or am I mixing him up with someone else.
Pretty sure he’s exhausted his eligibility, 3 season at Arizona. 2 at utep, 1 at cuse. He’s a 6th year COVID senior

Anyone know the deal with Ja'Vontae Williams? Good offers coming out of Florida, a lot of hype coming out of camp, making circus catches, and we get nothing from him during the season? Our current receivers aren't lighting the world on fire, why doesn't this kid get some burn?

View attachment 209091
Think he has been hurt. At least wasn’t dressed for games earlier in the season.

Pretty sure he’s exhausted his eligibility, 3 season at Arizona. 2 at utep, 1 at cuse. He’s a 6th year COVID senior

The Stephen Bailey signing article said 2 years.
Cooper, who wore No. 25 at practice on Tuesday, has two years of eligibility remaining.

Orange Extreme said:
Only played 3 games before a season ending injury in 2016. Got a redshirt.

Redshirted again in 2019.

Orange Extreme said:
That wouldn’t be awesome if he can come back! Really think he’s come on strong in recent weeks.

That wouldn’t be awesome if he can come back! Really think he’s come on strong in recent weeks.
Yeah I like this kid A LOT. He has some physicality to him.

Our WR group is like our team, mostly freshman. Of 102 on the roster we'll be losing 10 Srs.
We have 13 WR's 10 are Fr or RFr - they are:

JaVonte Williams 6' 1" 210 Fr
Anthony Queely 6' 2" 205 RSo
Umari Hatcher 6' 3" 170 Fr
Sharod Johnson 5' 11" 185 Fr
Kendall Long 6' 2" 210 Fr
Devaughn Cooper 5' 11" 175 R Sr
Trebor Pena 6 180 Fr
Isaiah Jones 6' 4" 205 So
Damien Alford 6' 6" 215 Fr
Sam Warren 5' 10" RFr
Nate Wellington 5' 10" RFr
Courtney Jackson 5' 11" Fr
Oronde Gadsen 6' 5" 210 Fr

So, experience at WR is what we don't have. Perhaps that's why KS has more than his own trouble passing, his WR's sometimes run the wrong route or as Cuse12 says they can't jump. I think most can, they just don't have 40" verticals and need another year to perfect their routes and become better WR's.

Nahsons post of Javonte Williams shows they can jump, some have higher verticals than others. But it's not just how high they can go up it's getting open, creating space between they and the DB or safety, running the correct routes making excellent breaks and catching every catchable and non catchable ball thrown to them.

For Cuse 12. Although you have an advantage being 6' 5" in stead of 6' if you really work at your position with everything you have you can be a great wide receiver by standing in front of a Jugs machine with a coach catching ball after ball and catching pass after pass from KS or a QB on the roster.

FYI: Wes Welker holds many records for the NE Patriots and he played at 5' 8" 3/4, 185, 4.65 40. and his career totals are 903 Receptions, 9,924 YDS Rec., 50 TDs., 6,722 Return YDs. and 16,797 all- purpose YDs. I used to not like Wes very much because he caught everything from Brady and NE isn't my team but he was a great receiver and got to the NFL as an unsigned free agent out of Texas Tech.

Someone mentioned Alec lemon in another post maybe this week. Perfect example. We don’t need guys that have cool numbers on paper. We need WR’s that can play the position. Alec wasn’t fast by any means, kind of a strong kid but not a physical WR but he got open and caught the ball. I’ll take a player like that all day long. I could care less if they’re one of the fastest players in the ACC. The staff needs to find WR’s that can play the position not have cool 40 times and height.

Orange Extreme said:
to do that he would have been hurt twice and got the xtra year back on top of the covid year.. normally you dont even apply until the final year you need it. Would like to see more of him at times.

i guess ideally you get a couple tall dudes who can battle and sky in the end zone. a couple burners on the outside to stretch coverage a nd some sneaky pete slot guys who can find the seams in coverage and catch anything thrown. throw in a freakish athletic TE the LB's can't run with and you got yourself an arsenal.

When you are watching college ball this weekend, watch how many teams who have WRs who go up and get theirs. And then watch our WRs. It will be mind blowing I bet...I am going to pay extra attention to this on Saturday.

We need a few more of our coaches dedicated to the receiver position.
We replaced our special teams coach with a receiver coach when Lustig left.

Watching Courtney Jackson play, he can be special. He is very shifty and seems to have a lot of quickness. He looks like he could be the next Erv Phillips; he is a perfect slot guy. The problem is, the outside guys aren't there yet, or don't have enough talent. At best, Queely should be a number two option on the outside, but he is thrust into the number one role after Taj walked out on the team, and as much as I like Alford, he is a season away imo. It was kind of like in 2010 and 2011, Alec Lemon was pretty good, and Sales being in and out of the roster for various reasons the team struggled with WR play, but by 2012, we had two studs Lemon and Sales, and Jarrod West thrived as the number three. I'm hoping to see that in a year from now, but for the time being, the run game is the biggest weapon with Tucker and Shrader finding holes for big QB runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom