Last years team vs Clemson | Syracusefan.com

Last years team vs Clemson

longislandcuse

Living Legend
How would last years team (post Pughs return) have done against Clemson?

Marrone at head coach.
Shafer back at DC and not whatever Bullough is supposed to be.
Hackett at OC and not whatever McDonald thinks he is.
Nassib at QB.
Very good offensive line.
Same running backs.
WRs who while not flashy, could get open (Sales/Lemon)
Shamarko as a vocal leader of the defense.
Decent amount of NFL talent on the field.

You would have basically been Maryland.
Maryland did worse than our team yesterday...

IMO our WR's would have been slightly better.. but not enough to make a huge impact. Nassib didn't have hunts rushing ability. but the offensive line was so much better that i don't think it would've mattered. But the game planning, especially on offense, would've made a huge difference. I think End of the year Syracuse 2012 still loses the game 38-28.

Those 28 points coming from superior run blocking. We could run on anybody at the end of last year.

When your team is getting smacked around, it was very easy to find myself in the same trap. I was thinking - how would our '87 team have fared against these guys? At the end of the day it's a total fruitless exercise. More like "If my aunt had balls - she'd be my uncle"!

Marrone at head coach.
Hackett at OC and not whatever McDonald thinks he is.
Nassib at QB.
Same running backs.

Last years team would've been able to score on them a bit. And they would've had to work harder for their points. 42-28 or so.

When your team is getting smacked around, it was very easy to find myself in the same trap. I was thinking - how would our '87 team have fared against these guys? At the end of the day it's a total fruitless exercise. More like "If my aunt had balls - she'd be my uncle"!
Lol, i only bring this up being that it was just last year and last years team is the best team we've had in a longggg time. If they were healthy all year they would have been a top 25 team.

Marrone at head coach.
Hackett at OC and not whatever McDonald thinks he is.Nassib at QB.
Same running backs.
Do we get Hopkins (WR, NFL Rookie of the Month), Ellington (RB), also our starting TE,C and DE? Just to be fair you know :)

Maryland did worse than our team yesterday...

IMO our WR's would have been slightly better.. but not enough to make a huge impact. Nassib didn't have hunts rushing ability. but the offensive line was so much better that i don't think it would've mattered. But the game planning, especially on offense, would've made a huge difference. I think End of the year Syracuse 2012 still loses the game 38-28.

Those 28 points coming from superior run blocking. We could run on anybody at the end of last year.

Last year's WRs slightly better? Sales and Lemon were light years better than this group.

Maryland is a lot better than FSU made them look. Be careful with them. They've played pretty consistently bad on the road against good competition, but they are a PAIN at their place. And their fans throw batteries.

Last year's WRs slightly better? Sales and Lemon were light years better than this group.
Yes they were. but they wouldn't have been light years better vs Clemson. Sales and Lemon weren't THAT much faster than Clark/West. and Speed was what we needed.

They may have been able to muscle their way into a few catches but they weren't going to change the game.

Yes they were. but they wouldn't have been light years better vs Clemson. Sales and Lemon weren't THAT much faster than Clark/West. and Speed was what we needed.

They may have been able to muscle their way into a few catches but they weren't going to change the game.

Those guys knew how to catch balls and make stuff happen. They were producers.

Our WRs had ZERO catches yesterday. That's the sum total of what you and I had as well. Sales/Lemon would have, again, been light years better at that position.

Our WRs had ZERO catches yesterday. That's the sum total of what you and I had as well. Sales/Lemon would have, again, been light years better at that position.

It took a long time for those guys to be able to beat man, and much of that went to Nassib and the run game, and being able to scheme guys open.

Instead of using play action, formations, and patterns to help free guys up they put the WR's in constant one on one matchups where the better athlete is going to win the vast majority of the time. It wasn't putting the players in a position to succeed.

Plus, there weren't too many games where Sales and Lemon were going against athletes like this.

I said they were better but there is a reason we had zero WR catches yesterday. Clemsons DB's were faster and stronger (and had better hands). Good luck to Sales and Lemon "producing" against them. Sales and Lemon were stronger but they weren't world beaters.

(and for the record, i'm not saying it's impossible, this is just my take on it.)

Lemon and Sales weren't athletic freaks by any measure but Lemon is on an NFL roster fwiw.

Also the offensive line gave Nassib time to throw and I don't care how good db's are, no one can cover for an eternity. Plus we used something called a tight end. I'm not sure if this staff is familiar with that.

PTG had 12 less yards receiving than a dead man.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I understand the gist of the post here but I am sick of living in the past. If we are rooting for players from the past I'm not going for Lemon and Sales. I love the Lemon but I want more.

I hate this place a lot of the time. Lemon and sales were torchered here for 2 years for not being fast enough, strong enough, can't beat man press coverage. Hackett was crucified here as well for 2 years up until the last 6-7 weeks of his time here. Now, we look back at what was a productive offense like the glory years!

Let's wait and see what McDonald does against our true competition moving forward. Do people really believe its a level playing field versus Clemson? Look at their budget, facilities, etc. I am sure they are cheating a lot worse than we are too. Its how the south operates when it comes to football. It's pretty well established fact. I know Clemson fans will come on here defending the cleanliness of the cesspool but it is what it is. We want a really good team, donors need to pay for it or we just need to find a great great coach who can mask many many weaknesses on a weekly basis.

That's the reality of it has nothing to do with play calling!!!

We don't feel any need to justify our winning. That sounds like sour grapes to me, IthacaBarrel.

I hate this place a lot of the time. Lemon and sales were torchered here for 2 years for not being fast enough, strong enough, can't beat man press coverage. Hackett was crucified here as well for 2 years up until the last 6-7 weeks of his time here. Now, we look back at what was a productive offense like the glory years!

Let's wait and see what McDonald does against our true competition moving forward. ------- We want a really good team, donors need to pay for it or we just need to find a great great coach who can mask many many weaknesses on a weekly basis.

That's the reality of it has nothing to do with play calling!!!

I'm down with everything quoted above.

I said they were better but there is a reason we had zero WR catches yesterday. Clemsons DB's were faster and stronger (and had better hands). Good luck to Sales and Lemon "producing" against them. Sales and Lemon were stronger but they weren't world beaters.

(and for the record, i'm not saying it's impossible, this is just my take on it.)

the worst part of this is their secondary was considered their weakness

We've got some big issues in the secondary. Our coverage has been pathetic, we don't tackle well there, and we take some nonsensical angles. The other problem is that two of our LBs constantly over-pursue, which is what lead to your big chunk plays.

That said, the safeties played an above average game by quite a bit. They know they have to step it up, so the motivation is there and the new coach seems to be a bit better. The corners continued to look very "meh", and one of our starters very well may lose his job over this game (Travis Blanks).

They can't have been that bad.Nobody has scored more than 14 other than georgia.

Aaron Murray: 323 Yards 0 TD 1 INT.
SC State: 155 Yards, 2 TD 2INT (138 yards recieving by 1 guy. 63 on 1 throw)
NC State: 213 Yards, 0 TD 1 INT
Wake Forest: 162 Yards, 1 TD 1 INT
Syracuse: 74 Yards Passing, 0TD 4INT.

Bleh, that was disappointing to look at.

Maryland is a lot better than FSU made them look. Be careful with them. They've played pretty consistently bad on the road against good competition, but they are a PAIN at their place. And their fans throw batteries.

Really???