Latest Crystal Ball Predictions | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Latest Crystal Ball Predictions

Jalen is quicker but one thing he just won’t have is Franks height/length up top

Carey
Guerrier
Hughes
Dolezaj
Sid

Buddy
Braswell
Goodine
Girard
JBA

Just about everyone can shoot. A welcome change from where we were the past few years.

Frank’s very impressive in the zone and looks improved this year.

I wouldn’t compare Jalen to Frank, polar opposites imo. Jalen’s got a much higher upside, but Franks a seasoned vet. Jalen seems like a more dynamic volume playmaker, Frank’s a pace controlling facilitator.

Dead on balls accurate.

Well we really have no true PG and it seems no offensive plays other the pick and roll. This team is building towards elite with the kids coming and already here if they keep staying 2 or 3 years like the last 2 years with Oshae and Tyus.

Need better players then. More speed out there, obviously. We’re an average at best offensive team with a senior Frank, junior Tyus, etc. The Zone will muck up and slow the game down keeping us in it but to beat very good/elite teams we’re going to need to score more and easier. A lot of this also can be blamed on the raw Centers constantly and no True PGs like you said. The converted combo guards.

Well we really have no true PG and it seems no offensive plays other the pick and roll. This team is building towards elite with the kids coming and already here if they keep staying 2 or 3 years like the last 2 years with Oshae and Tyus.
The pick and roll is what starts the offensive set. It's not a play. This thing with a "true PG" is killing me -- you don't need one to win, you need guards. Frank can shoot, facilitate and defend. Battle can shoot, defend and bring the ball up. Hopefully Carey will be able to do the same as both. Right now, he's on a learning curve.

Jalen is quicker but one thing he just won’t have is Franks height/length up top

He’ll be fine sooner than later. Cooney and Ennis were fine in the zone. It’s instincts and IQ too. Tyus still is not contesting like he should or getting sucked in too deep. Or he goes under screens. Carey made one similar play and got burned for a 3. But his length and measurables are more than fine, IMO.

The pick and roll is what starts the offensive set. It's not a play. This thing with a "true PG" is killing me -- you don't need one to win, you need guards. Frank can shoot, facilitate and defend. Battle can shoot, defend and bring the ball up. Hopefully Carey will be able to do the same as both. Right now, he's on a learning curve.

We can agree to disagree. I’d argue more natural ballhandlers and/or true PGs with naturally more speed than lanky combos would be less susceptible to picking up the dribble in bad places, not getting around a hedger, etc. Too often these issues have kept us going east-west or stall out the offense the past couple of years.

Need better players then. More speed out there, obviously. We’re an average at best offensive team with a senior Frank, junior Tyus, etc. The Zone will muck up and slow the game down keeping us in it but to beat very good/elite teams we’re going to need to score more and easier. A lot of this also can be blamed on the raw Centers constantly and no True PGs like you said. The converted combo guards.

Did you like the second half offense vs. Virginia in the final eight? That's the same iso offense we ran at Ohio State with favorable match ups. And it was the same as in the Garden just much worse. You remember Calhoun's great UConn teams? They did the same thing, put pressure on the defense with iso hard drives and good outside shooting. Agreed that the centers are raw and no offensive threat which dumbs the offense down.

He’ll be fine sooner than later. Cooney and Ennis were fine in the zone. It’s instincts and IQ too. Tyus still is not contesting like he should or getting sucked in too deep. Or he goes under screens. Carey made one similar play and got burned for a 3. But his length and measurables are more than fine, IMO.
Ennis and Cooney were average defenders at best compared to some we've had at the top, esp McW and Triche. Cooney killed me with how often his guy got past him and he chased him down the lane.

Did you like the second half offense vs. Virginia in the final eight? That's the same iso offense we ran at Ohio State with favorable match ups. And it was the same as in the Garden just much worse. You remember Calhoun's great UConn teams? They did the same thing, put pressure on the defense with iso hard drives and good outside shooting. Agreed that the centers are raw and no offensive threat which dumbs the offense down.

I mean if you suggest relying on contested and tough shots to go in? Sure. Calhoun great teams had so many weapons. They could beat you from any position and absolutely murdered teams on the boards as well. I’ll stick to my guns though that lack of speed, instincts, ball handling with certain guards has stalled out the offense plenty. Plenty of PNR possessions stall out due to picking up the dribble in bad spots, not reversing the ball quickly enough, or not enough speed to turn the corner. I mean it isn’t really debatable.

Last edited:
Ennis and Cooney were average defenders at best compared to some we've had at the top, esp McW and Triche. Cooney killed me with how often his guy got past him and he chased him down the lane.

I’d have to check the numbers but I remember them getting a ton of steals and holding teams to a very low 3pt FG %. I could be wrong. It was the offense that caught up with us. Poor shooting and making Fair try to be Carmelo.

Frank is listed at 6’5” and Jalen 6’3”. There is a difference, but it’s not like you’re talking about Gillon.

Frank is listed at 6’5” and Jalen 6’3”. There is a difference, but it’s not like you’re talking about Gillon.
Since 2013-14, Frank Howard has had more than 25 steals in conference play once. He had 26 last season. John Gillon had 24 during his season.

Steals are only one function of defense. And the zone is designed for the guards up top to get steals, so naturally SU guards are typically among the leaders in steals. Gbinje was probably the best defensive guard Syracuse has had recently and the Ol' Coondog was right there with him by using steals and D-rating. Frank is definitely good, but I don't think he's irreplaceable.

Last edited:
Since 2013-14, Frank Howard has had more than 25 steals in conference play once. He had 26 last season. John Gillon had 24 during his season.

Steals are only one function of defense. And the zone is designed for the guards up top to get steals, so naturally SU guards are typically among the leaders in steals. Gbinje was probably the best defensive guard Syracuse has had recently and the Ol' Coondog was right there with him by using steals and D-rating. Frank is definitely good, but I don't think he's irreplaceable.

Was commenting only on the suggestion that there was a significant difference in height between the two. Put me in the camp that believes that people can either play or they can’t. Give me Sherm or Pearl over any other guard we’ve ever had regardless of their respective heights.

The pick and roll comment was sarcasm, the true point guard thing JB through the years has always done well with great pg's I think in part because of the freedom he gives his players. Frank Howard is elite defender in the zone Jalen Carey is nowhere near that level now.

Other than Pearl and Sherm, who would you count among the irreplaceables? (Please don't say Hart)

So is Stewart going to Michigan State or Duke?

Please don't compare Jalen and Frank overall. Frank is a nice college player who was awful early last year, turned his season around and played well but still showed questionable judgment against Michigan State and Duke in the tournament. Six games into his career Carey has already shown he is a higher talent with the ability to play well under pressure. You can't compare them as freshmen, Carey is miles ahead of where Frank was at this point in his freshman season.

Carey won't be in Frank's league defending at the top of the zone.

Carey shows a lot of promise defensively. What I've seen so far is that he has great discipline at the top of the zone keeping his arms out to cut down passing angles. I've seen a guy who has good quickness on his lateral slides and has long arms. I see a kid who plays with effort on defense. He doesn't have Frank's experience, but he is ahead of Frank in terms of where they both were as freshmen in the first month of experience.

Are you kidding me? Carey and Hughes are already pretty damn good, and Carey oozes raw talent and moxie. The kid is gonna be a star next year. Add Guerrier to the mix, plus Marek, sophomore Buddy, and Goodine, and next year’s team is gonna have definite top 25 potential.

When I say "a player or two away", I'm not talking about being top 25, I'm talking about being ACC title and NCAA Final Four contenders. I think we have a group that makes an outstanding platform, but need an elite level player or two to be national championship contenders. Remember, we are on the clock. This is not about being a top 25 team, this is about winning another trophy before JB hangs 'em up.

I agree he needs playing time, 20 pounds of good weight and to get stronger!

20 pounds is a lot for a guard.
For a front court player, not so much, but for a guard, that's a lot.