Latest Crystal Ball Predictions | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Latest Crystal Ball Predictions

Did you like the second half offense vs. Virginia in the final eight? That's the same iso offense we ran at Ohio State with favorable match ups. And it was the same as in the Garden just much worse. You remember Calhoun's great UConn teams? They did the same thing, put pressure on the defense with iso hard drives and good outside shooting. Agreed that the centers are raw and no offensive threat which dumbs the offense down.

Actually in the second half they scrapped ISO ball/high PnR “offense” and actually played really good motion offense, cutting and screening off the ball which took away Virginia’s defensive game plan because great motion is unpredictable and very hard to guard. I really want to see that offense again because it creates ISO situations while the defense is scrambling due to ball/people movement off screens as opposed to being able to load up your D with everyone standing and watching

Actually in the second half they scrapped ISO ball/high PnR “offense” and actually played really good motion offense, cutting and screening off the ball which took away Virginia’s defensive game plan because great motion is unpredictable and very hard to guard. I really want to see that offense again because it creates ISO situations while the defense is scrambling due to ball/people movement off screens as opposed to being able to load up your D with everyone standing and watching
Didn't scrap ISO, in fact went to it exclusively with off the ball screens and drives to the hoop (see Cooney, Mali, Silent G all going right to the rim). What they did stop doing is the P&R.

Didn't scrap ISO, in fact went to it exclusively with off the ball screens and drives to the hoop (see Cooney, Mali, Silent G all going right to the rim). What they did stop doing is the P&R.

IE they went motion which will create ISO situations but with the defense being occupied off the ball you just described motion offense when done right with off ball screening it creates great iso opportunities but it’s very different than what Cuse usually runs in ISO

I think Sidibe will take a step up next year but you can't rely on an incoming 180 pound freshman to be the main back up. If the scholarships are there, hopefully they will find someone who can step in and play some significant minutes if needed...

Sidibe is not a long term answer, we are not done and we will get a big man, have no choice.

Re Carey , I’m not sure what u r watching bc he is doing great at the top of the zone, he is going to be a star, it’s been 6 games, he is the fastest guy on The court, but the game has to slow down for him, it will, but difficult to play and learn when u know 1 mistake and u r on bench, his body is built well for top of zone, arms are long, he’s very active and
He is a future star.

Sidibe is not a long term answer, we are not done and we will get a big man, have no choice.

Re Carey , I’m not sure what u r watching bc he is doing great at the top of the zone, he is going to be a star, it’s been 6 games, he is the fastest guy on The court, but the game has to slow down for him, it will, but difficult to play and learn when u know 1 mistake and u r on bench, his body is built well for top of zone, arms are long, he’s very active and
He is a future star.

I like Carey a LOT and like his measurables. I like you really am into most of his Zone D. He’s got a knack for it already. To say he is the fastest player on the court is simply not true. A couple of the Morehead guards were much quicker. Alterique Gilbert? Morgan on Cornell and one of the Colgate guys, too. We’re comparing him to Frank Howard who moves like he is in molasses. We’re comparing him also to this SU team who have length but aren’t that collectively quick and fast. I think you can argue that Tyus this year could be quicker than Carey. These last few games Tyus’s first steps and drives to the basket are really fast. I’m not suggesting at all that Carey is slow and I realize he is still learning the game. But, saying Carey is the fastest guy on the court would be inaccurate, IMO.

How do we feel about landing one of Carrigan, Stewart, or Wahab? I think we need one more big in this class.

I think as long as that happens, we're in very good shape.
If it happens to be Stewart, then we are ready to make another run.
Otherwise, we need a stud of that type for next year's class.

I think as long as that happens, we're in very good shape.
If it happens to be Stewart, then we are ready to make another run.
Otherwise, we need a stud of that type for next year's class.

Yeah, I'd imagine we're holding out to hear what Stewart decides, and then based on that (assuming he goes elsewhere), we choose from Wahab or Carrigan, and call it a class.

Yeah, I'd imagine we're holding out to hear what Stewart decides, and then based on that (assuming he goes elsewhere), we choose from Wahab or Carrigan, and call it a class.
stewart & wahab don't exclude, they complement each other. seeing syraucuse add qudus would be a plus for isaiah, i'd think

IE they went motion which will create ISO situations but with the defense being occupied off the ball you just described motion offense when done right with off ball screening it creates great iso opportunities but it’s very different than what Cuse usually runs in ISO
After another classic v Cornell in how to play unwatchable, cringe-worthy offense going on what five years now, I'm officially on board with anyone and everyone posting how bad it is. The common thread since our offense died is the coach. Or the players simply aren't that good and the chemistry is flat out bad. I'm going with the coach's system on offense and how much the zone takes away from scoring. The players are plenty good enough to score.

After another classic v Cornell in how to play unwatchable, cringe-worthy offense going on what five years now, I'm officially on board with anyone and everyone posting how bad it is. The common thread since our offense died is the coach. Or the players simply aren't that good and the chemistry is flat out bad. I'm going with the coach's system on offense and how much the zone takes away from scoring. The players are plenty good enough to score.
IDK what happened to JB and offense. He had a motion offense that turned Lawrence Moten into the all time leading in BE history. The conference of Mullin, Ewing, Williams, Adams, Washington, Iverson, Pickney, etc., this mid-size, non-special (relatively) athlete is the all time scorer, due solely to JB's system.
Where has that creativity gone, JB?

I like Carey a LOT and like his measurables. I like you really am into most of his Zone D. He’s got a knack for it already. To say he is the fastest player on the court is simply not true. A couple of the Morehead guards were much quicker. Alterique Gilbert? Morgan on Cornell and one of the Colgate guys, too. We’re comparing him to Frank Howard who moves like he is in molasses. We’re comparing him also to this SU team who have length but aren’t that collectively quick and fast. I think you can argue that Tyus this year could be quicker than Carey. These last few games Tyus’s first steps and drives to the basket are really fast. I’m not suggesting at all that Carey is slow and I realize he is still learning the game. But, saying Carey is the fastest guy on the court would be inaccurate, IMO.

The fastest move of any player goes to Battle and it is not even close. Carey is not in the same league. Battle's spin more is lightning quick and unstoppable, a thing of beauty.

IDK what happened to JB and offense. He had a motion offense that turned Lawrence Moten into the all time leading in BE history. Where has that creativity gone, JB?
We’d all like to know. He did install rick’s 2-2-1 press this offseason so there’s always a chance he’ll snap out of it I suppose. I’d jokingly suggest he watches too many NBA games and forgets what a college offense is supposed to resemble... but that would be an insult to the NBA ball spacing and movement.

I really have no clue.