Lawrence v. Burrow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence v. Burrow

If all 3 QBs were draft-eligible in 2020, which would you draft first?

• Lawrence

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Burrow

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Devito

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
Someone did an analysis of burrows throws that are considered NFL pass plays that an NFL needs to be able to make. The result was he completed 53% of those with 5 TDs and 4 INTs.

PFF focus would disagree with that assessment. Seems like a Bill Polian maneuver.

PFF focus would disagree with that assessment. Seems like a Bill Polian maneuver.

does pff use "nfl passes" or all passes. the nfl passes were outs and other 10-20 yard type passes (not all).

all i heard this week is the LSU is running more NFL style plays than anyone right now. But even so you dont see the high end deep outs and throws that NFL Qbs have to make.. what he does do is put the throws he makes in good spots and LSU creates some really nice seems to throw into. The pressure Clemson created did put him under stress until they got tired and NFL teams are gonna do it more often with 4 man rushes so he wont see as many cover zero spots to throw into

he was talking pre-game with Kirk I think about throwing to his guys when they were not really open because he knew they would win that battle. That doesnt happen with only select WR in the nfl..

Imagine if Allen had Thomas to throw to on the Bills, he probably would have better numbers too.

does pff use "nfl passes" or all passes. the nfl passes were outs and other 10-20 yard type passes (not all).
Burrows reads the field well, thats a plus. Whether he will see it as well when the Ds are better is the question and how often he had 5-6-7 secs to throw this yr because teams were afraid to cover empty. Unlike Clemson who took that shot and it worked for awhile.

The future may finally be bright for my beloved Cincinnati Bengals, def going to have to improve the line but the kid has the "it" factor
You think they take Burrow? I live in Cincy and there is a lot of talk about him, though I get a weird feeling that ownership takes Chase Young.

Burrow was incredibly impressive last night, and all season.

That said, LSU had better blocking, more people open, better schemes and an overall much better environment for Burrow to thrive in last night.

That helps make him look good, though again, he had a lot to do with the greatness LSU lived up to.

Trevor has a stronger arm, is bigger, probably faster and is a physical freak. Younger too.

His ceiling is probably higher.

Hard to make a bad choice between those two.

I’ll be curious how plug and play that LSU offense is next year.

That said, Burrow was very accurate last night. I was impressed with the longer throws.

Heisman, national title, 1st pick. Quite a run for a QB who dreamed of going to Nebraska, but Nebraska passed on him not once, but twice.

You think they take Burrow? I live in Cincy and there is a lot of talk about him, though I get a weird feeling that ownership takes Chase Young.
It's hard to imagine that Burrow will not go #1, especially after his performance in the NC game. It might not be to Cinncy, but he will go #1

The same way they grade NFL passers.

Now tell me this. Who put more deep balls on the money ...

Josh Allen this year or Burrow last night?

meatheads are gonna meathead and screw this up. I already see it. It’s the Saints offense. Last I checked every throw in the Saints offense is an NFL throw.

all i heard this week is the LSU is running more NFL style plays than anyone right now. But even so you dont see the high end deep outs and throws that NFL Qbs have to make.. what he does do is put the throws he makes in good spots and LSU creates some really nice seems to throw into. The pressure Clemson created did put him under stress until they got tired and NFL teams are gonna do it more often with 4 man rushes so he wont see as many cover zero spots to throw into

he was talking pre-game with Kirk I think about throwing to his guys when they were not really open because he knew they would win that battle. That doesnt happen with only select WR in the nfl..

Imagine if Allen had Thomas to throw to on the Bills, he probably would have better numbers too.

He would overthrow him by 10 yards.

The same way they grade NFL passers.

Now tell me this. Who put more deep balls on the money ...

Josh Allen this year or Burrow last night?

meatheads are gonna meathead and screw this up. I already see it. It’s the Saints offense. Last I checked every throw in the Saints offense is an NFL throw.

we're talking specific types of passes and none were deep balls.

Just destroyed every stat and metric and eye test in existence but haters gonna hate.

who hates him? you just want to make something up.

they can say what they want but to think that was TDs best throw of the season shows they really dont know anything.

The future may finally be bright for my beloved Cincinnati Bengals, def going to have to improve the line but the kid has the "it" factor
Step 1. Draft Burrow
Step 2. Trade and draft OL talent.
Step 3. Find weapons.

All grown up

BC1B2B8C-13E7-4E67-A293-DE4C13716B45.jpeg

Yes, its going to happen

The Bengals coaches have already reached out to him about attending the Senior Bowl (which they are coaching to start developing a rapport)

I don't think he's going to be Mahomes, Lamar or whoever is the current top 3 in the NFL but he will be a very good NFL Qb for 10 plus years

The Andy Dalton ship has sailed, Zac Taylor wants "his" guy and now he will have it at QB

Yes, its going to happen

The Bengals coaches have already reached out to him about attending the Senior Bowl (which they are coaching to start developing a rapport)

I don't think he's going to be Mahomes, Lamar or whoever is the current top 3 in the NFL but he will be a very good NFL Qb for 10 plus years

The Andy Dalton ship has sailed, Zac Taylor wants "his" guy and now he will have it at QB
While I'm not a Bengals fan, I like to see them do well. I fear the Brown family is going to step in and force the Young pick. Regardless, they need to fix the oline before any QB has a chance.

Someone did an analysis of burrows throws that are considered NFL pass plays that an NFL needs to be able to make. The result was he completed 53% of those with 5 TDs and 4 INTs.

I know you're referring to a statistical definition of an nfl throw so I'm not arguing -- especially since it's not like I watched all that much LSU football this year. But the 12 or 13 quarters of football I watched I felt like, anecdotally, I was watching burrow make NFL throw after NFL throw. Even when the pocket started to break down and he had to move.

On a related note, am I the only one who isn't terribly impressed with Lawrence? I love the measurables and he's a very good player who will be drafted highly and at the very least stick around the NFL for a long time. Not arguing he's not a very, very good player. But after the past 8 quarters (against two phenomenal teams) and some of the other games I've seen (including the last two vs. the Cuse), I tend to feel like he's an outstanding qb with time and open receivers -- which happens a ton in that offense -- and a little dicey when he has to move around in the pocket or throw on the run/under pressure. I'm sure it's just that he's young and the kid fought hard in those two CFP games, so I'm not knocking him that much. Just not sure he's quite as good as the hype and numbers suggest.

I don't claim to be a talent evaluator but from watching whatever of those two I have, I'm taking Burrow and I'm not sure I even think it's all that close. But who knows ...

The Bengals almost have to take Burrow. If he doesn't pan out it can be tolerated and move on. If they pass and he turns into a 10-12 year starter with solid numbers and occasional pro bowler they will never live it down. I would say the odds of him not going #1 are extremely slim

I know you're referring to a statistical definition of an nfl throw so I'm not arguing -- especially since it's not like I watched all that much LSU football this year. But the 12 or 13 quarters of football I watched I felt like, anecdotally, I was watching burrow make NFL throw after NFL throw. Even when the pocket started to break down and he had to move.

On a related note, am I the only one who isn't terribly impressed with Lawrence? I love the measurables and he's a very good player who will be drafted highly and at the very least stick around the NFL for a long time. Not arguing he's not a very, very good player. But after the past 8 quarters (against two phenomenal teams) and some of the other games I've seen (including the last two vs. the Cuse), I tend to feel like he's an outstanding qb with time and open receivers -- which happens a ton in that offense -- and a little dicey when he has to move around in the pocket or throw on the run/under pressure. I'm sure it's just that he's young and the kid fought hard in those two CFP games, so I'm not knocking him that much. Just not sure he's quite as good as the hype and numbers suggest.

I don't claim to be a talent evaluator but from watching whatever of those two I have, I'm taking Burrow and I'm not sure I even think it's all that close. But who knows ...

I would tend to agree with this. He's an amazing college QB, and I believe he will do well in the NFL. But I don't think he's Peyton Manning (how many guys are?). I don't see him becoming a superstar who goes to multiple pro bowls and wins Superbowls. Then again, I'm not a scout, so who knows! Just my 2 cents.