LAX Action for May 22-23 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for May 22-23

In the end an "all original ACC" final.

Still wondering why the ND players were so gassed towards the end of the game according to QK and the Terps weren't.

Duke has a lot of guys who are seniors but have that extra year of eligibility after last season.

Sowers, JT, Adler, Lowrie, Lindsay, Quigley, Smyth, Manown, Phil Robertson, Walsh, O'Connell, Scaglione, and Leishchow are all done after this season.

Robertson is a Sr academically but a Rs Jr playing wise as he was hurt all of last year with an ACL. Montgomery, Badour, Basile, Stein and a few others are seniors along with Robertson who can come back.

Dukes loses slightly more then I thought but still brings back a lot and will surely hit the portal as well.
Thanks. "Can come back" may be way different than "will come back" though.

I'm not so sure there may be as many quality players in the Portal as a lot of folks think. The biggest source for this year was the Ivies. You'd primarily be looking at the players who were juniors when 2020 was shut down, graduated this spring, and are looking to move on as the most likely to be in the Portal. That also assumes that they didn't play the "Drop out in order to go back and still play" game. The last full season for them was 2019 as sophomores.

The 2019 All-Ivy sophs -
1st Team: Baughan, D, Princeton; Fake, D, Yale;
2nd Team: Aughavin, M, Brown;
HM: Piatelli, A, Cornell; Donville, M, Cornell; Cuccurullo, FO, Harvard;

Thanks. "Can come back" may be way different than "will come back" though.

I'm not so sure there may be as many quality players in the Portal as a lot of folks think. The biggest source for this year was the Ivies. You'd primarily be looking at the players who were juniors when 2020 was shut down, graduated this spring, and are looking to move on as the most likely to be in the Portal. That also assumes that they didn't play the "Drop out in order to go back and still play" game. The last full season for them was 2019 as sophomores.

The 2019 All-Ivy sophs -
1st Team: Baughan, D, Princeton; Fake, D, Yale;
2nd Team: Aughavin, M, Brown;
HM: Piatelli, A, Cornell; Donville, M, Cornell; Cuccurullo, FO, Harvard;

Agreed that there won't be nearly as many impact guys in the portal this year, however, the attackmen from Penn and Khan are already in the portal giving 2 impact guys already and the transfer process hasn't even really gotten started yet. No guarantee they will end up at Duke or Maryland but the last few years most have. Duke especially loves to get fogos and goalies from non Power D1 teams.

In the end an "all original ACC" final.

Still wondering why the ND players were so gassed towards the end of the game according to QK and the Terps weren't.
It's conditioning pure and simple. Happened to ND several times this year down the stretch

The Cornell guys could be attracted to Hopkins.

I think PSU and OSU, who were mostly into bringing back their own seniors last year, could be more into looking for transfers this time around. OSU has already picked up goalie Caton Johnson. Of course Rutgers should be looking for transfers once again to replace their lost stars.

The Cornell guys could be attracted to Hopkins.

I think PSU and OSU, who were mostly into bringing back their own seniors last year, could be more into looking for transfers this time around. OSU has already picked up goalie Caton Johnson. Of course Rutgers should be looking for transfers once again to replace their lost stars.
I don't know about a Cornell to Hopkins pipeline, not everyone in Ithaca was sad to see Milliman go.

I don't think you'll see the transfer market look like last year, but it should be more robust than previous years. Like Jeremy pointed out, Lully and Kahn are already in before the season has ended and Bowen already entered and picked a new school (Georgetown). Heck Syracuse already has a commit from the portal. Someone on Fanlax has been updating the list of portal entrants and it's already pretty long. I don't know where things stand with the Ivy League but there are still a lot of reasons to enter the portal, especially in this new age of player empowerment.

It is interesting to analyze the impact of the portal on this year. It's a little hard to group teams, but I do find it a bit striking that two teams who were deemed the "winners" of the portal did not make the final four - Denver and Notre Dame. Maryland brought a good amount of players in, but they are relying on their veterans this year. Duke also was probably THE winner of the portal for the simple fact that they brought Sowers in, but a bit unexpected perhaps they haven't leaned on their transfers that much, outside of Sowers and Adler. UVA and UNC kept their teams pretty much intact, bringing in one impact transfer each (Bertrand and McCarthy). And needless to say, impressive work by Loyola who nearly took out the number one seed with no help from the portal.

Also where does that leave teams like Denver and Notre Dame? Are they now beholden to the portal from here on out? That may be sustainable for a few years but will that hurt regular high school recruiting?

I wonder if any of this past year will make teams rethink their strategy when it comes to the portal? Obviously Notre Dame and Denver were better teams with the players they brought in, but I wonder if there isn't something lost to chemistry by bringing in a bunch of one year players? I would say it goes to show that you really are best served by recruiting well and using the portal to supplement your roster, as opposed to building around it. With that said, I think the Orange still need to hit the portal pretty hard, as I think they need to supplement their offense and on the defensive end, make up for not recruiting well there.

I don't think you'll see the transfer market look like last year, but it should be more robust than previous years. Like Jeremy pointed out, Lully and Kahn are already in before the season has ended and Bowen already entered and picked a new school (Georgetown). Heck Syracuse already has a commit from the portal. Someone on Fanlax has been updating the list of portal entrants and it's already pretty long. I don't know where things stand with the Ivy League but there are still a lot of reasons to enter the portal, especially in this new age of player empowerment.

It is interesting to analyze the impact of the portal on this year. It's a little hard to group teams, but I do find it a bit striking that two teams who were deemed the "winners" of the portal did not make the final four - Denver and Notre Dame. Maryland brought a good amount of players in, but they are relying on their veterans this year. Duke also was probably THE winner of the portal for the simple fact that they brought Sowers in, but a bit unexpected perhaps they haven't leaned on their transfers that much, outside of Sowers and Adler. UVA and UNC kept their teams pretty much intact, bringing in one impact transfer each (Bertrand and McCarthy). And needless to say, impressive work by Loyola who nearly took out the number one seed with no help from the portal.

Also where does that leave teams like Denver and Notre Dame? Are they now beholden to the portal from here on out? That may be sustainable for a few years but will that hurt regular high school recruiting?

I wonder if any of this past year will make teams rethink their strategy when it comes to the portal? Obviously Notre Dame and Denver were better teams with the players they brought in, but I wonder if there isn't something lost to chemistry by bringing in a bunch of one year players? I would say it goes to show that you really are best served by recruiting well and using the portal to supplement your roster, as opposed to building around it. With that said, I think the Orange still need to hit the portal pretty hard, as I think they need to supplement their offense and on the defensive end, make up for not recruiting well there.
Dordevic, Curry, Hiltz, Seebold, and Quinn is a good unit to build off of for the offense next year. We may hit the portal for another weapon or two, but on top of that I think a combination of young guns stepping up and guys like Cook figuring it out a little more as an inverting mid will keep the O depth in passable shape. Excited to see what a healthy Tenaglia can do for us next year. Also looking forward to the development of Ferris and Birtwhistle. If on offense we landed nothing but one big ivy poach I would be happy. I think we can recover from our losses there. Seebold demonstrated that he was worthy of being a starting ACC attack with his play in our final games, and that was after playing as a second line mid the last two years. Him plus further development from Hiltz makes me think we can recover from the Rehfuss loss on some level.

With the D there are no limits and no hard feelings about who a transfer might replace. If we bring in two or even three big names I would not have any reservations about stunting development or otherwise, since a major part of the problem has been not recruiting talented enough guys. some may need to be shown the door. Dearth and Wycoff were about the only two guys whose play was acceptable and they are gone. If it is entirely new faces, including the coordinator, I won't complain. Aviles is a solid SSDM when healthy, Dami is ok but struggles with team D/mental mistakes, Olexo started out looking weak but improved with every game and looked great at times. Short stick could be relatively ok with those three, the 2021 guy we recruited as a SSDM looking good out of the gate, and/or a younger guy like Shaffer Woody stepping up again. But still, would never complain about a new face stealing time.

For longpoles I better not see Horan anywhere in the starting lineup and ideally not Murphy either. Just not good enough for our standards. Their offball D was atrocious aside from the occasional picked off pass from Murphy, and 1v1 play not much better. I worry about too much being asked of Kennedy too, as his offball D is also questionable and he seemed prone to lapses where every part of his game looked bad. The answer could still be to move him to close, especially with Clary back at LSM, but we can't rely on a massive improvement in his offball/team D in year 6. Our problems will be just as bad next year if our only off season move his training him up for close D. Would like to see two new longpoles at a minimum.

I thought I read somewhere that the NCAA had allowed schools to go beyond the 12.6 scholarship level this year so as to be able to retain 5th year seniors, but that next year it was going back to 12.6.

I thought I read somewhere that the NCAA had allowed schools to go beyond the 12.6 scholarship level this year so as to be able to retain 5th year seniors, but that next year it was going back to 12.6.

Yes, the 5th year guys didn't count against the 12.6 scholarship limit this past year but everyone is all equal staring next fall.

Last edited:
Reassessment needed by any staff. No need to be a bridge to later years because enuff talent here to be very competitive. Seek a few high end players at any position in portal to expand talent core even if for just a year . Know other ACC squads already seeking despite being in playoffs. Roster size might slim of its own accord but some cuts might be consider to refine focus if roster sizeunwieldy. Refhuss skillset expanded last year ,it's not only his production that needs to be replaced but the large role he had. Offense can run through young star Hiltz if initiated below but he's a wing and Ref began much behind the cage where Seebold will primarily operate. Plenty of good depth at attack but need that third piece that complements entire 6 including strengthening ride to help early transition d Offensive talent there to fill out first line but important to look at two way abllities given our ssdm dm personnel absent Dearth. Rejuggle if needed. A frosh Olexo being given runs before others speaks volumes. He may be one that's better with a ss than a pole .Aviles is athletic and can expect a bounce back but his size isn't made to cover all. If Murphy returns, maybe switch back to dm as at best occupied agaisnt players with size. which many mids have. With Dearth gone , you dont take Kennedy off lsm if u dont have to . he's a AA on both sides of ball period , just hope he's here , both goalie candidates are capable and willing to pass upfield which affords more transition. Could see Page taking Barlow spot with Clary moving to close given different stick skills and bodies. Adding a competent defender from portal should be priority and believe a decent third will be found amongst the many candidates as there are some with ability .Will say that easier to work with those that have m2m skills than not nm. Predict our d is better next year after a full fall of prep. Fogo. Phaup both great and grates depending on matchups . He's going to be our primary but we are going to have to replace Varello. Besides a glimpse of Savage, saw h.s. clips of other faceoff youngsters on roster who displayed good athleticism getting up and out. Maybe one or two are ready after a year of development. If not , portal should have a viable complement to Jacob. I look forward to next year, think team will be competitive.

Yes, the 5th year guys didn't count against the 12.6 scholarship limit this past year but everyone is all equal staring next fall.
That might restrict things a bit. Even though Duke and UNC lose quite a bit, they have all those UA A as to keep happy.

A lot of Hopkins' 2021 recruiting class bailed out, which should give them a fair amount of dough for retaining seniors or bringing in transfers.

Bit surprised that Danowski hasn't used more players as Breschi has. Has the depth and some are not so superior to what backs. On him imo iif Duke tires late as they did vs UVA in 2019 playoffs.

Dordevic, Curry, Hiltz, Seebold, and Quinn is a good unit to build off of for the offense next year. We may hit the portal for another weapon or two, but on top of that I think a combination of young guns stepping up and guys like Cook figuring it out a little more as an inverting mid will keep the O depth in passable shape. Excited to see what a healthy Tenaglia can do for us next year. Also looking forward to the development of Ferris and Birtwhistle. If on offense we landed nothing but one big ivy poach I would be happy. I think we can recover from our losses there. Seebold demonstrated that he was worthy of being a starting ACC attack with his play in our final games, and that was after playing as a second line mid the last two years. Him plus further development from Hiltz makes me think we can recover from the Rehfuss loss on some level.

With the D there are no limits and no hard feelings about who a transfer might replace. If we bring in two or even three big names I would not have any reservations about stunting development or otherwise, since a major part of the problem has been not recruiting talented enough guys. some may need to be shown the door. Dearth and Wycoff were about the only two guys whose play was acceptable and they are gone. If it is entirely new faces, including the coordinator, I won't complain. Aviles is a solid SSDM when healthy, Dami is ok but struggles with team D/mental mistakes, Olexo started out looking weak but improved with every game and looked great at times. Short stick could be relatively ok with those three, the 2021 guy we recruited as a SSDM looking good out of the gate, and/or a younger guy like Shaffer Woody stepping up again. But still, would never complain about a new face stealing time.

For longpoles I better not see Horan anywhere in the starting lineup and ideally not Murphy either. Just not good enough for our standards. Their offball D was atrocious aside from the occasional picked off pass from Murphy, and 1v1 play not much better. I worry about too much being asked of Kennedy too, as his offball D is also questionable and he seemed prone to lapses where every part of his game looked bad. The answer could still be to move him to close, especially with Clary back at LSM, but we can't rely on a massive improvement in his offball/team D in year 6. Our problems will be just as bad next year if our only off season move his training him up for close D. Would like to see two new longpoles at a minimum.

I agree with a lot of this. I keep forgetting about Tenaglia but I think he could definitely be a contributor, at least on midfield. I am also excited to see Birstwistle and wonder, depending on comings and goings if he might be considered for attack in the future? If I remember correctly he was a strong dodger in high school. I also am intrigued by frosh Caelin Lewis from Wash state - he's huge at 6'4 230, which would add some serious size to an offense that outside of Seebold and maybe Dordevic, seriously lacks it. Should be interesting to see how these guys who redshirted this year progress after missing their senior year of high school. I do disagree about Cook, I feel like a political poling expert when they say, "I've seen enough". I don't like disparaging these kids, but I hope they find other players who can midfield. I just don't think he has the physical tools for the position. Think his best role would be as the fourth attackman, or something to that effect.

I would love it if they could find a bunch of impact defensive transfers in the portal (and maybe they've found one with Caccamo), but it always seems like entrants to the portal skew offensive instead of defensive. Ivorytower provides some really intriguing personnel possibilities, it might come down to moving people around. Not ideal but it feels like things desperately need a shake up. I wish we had seen more of Clary last year. He was hurt in the Army game and I think we all thought he did well in that game, but I honestly can't remember. Moving him to close might help solve the Kennedy paradox. I never thought of moving Murphy (if he's back) back to short stick. He always impressed me when he was inverted (given that he's a natural close defender, this makes sense). Would he consider it a demotion?

I do agree about Olexo, he was one of the very few bright spots from the defense. I don't know what to make of Dami and Aviles. Dami has good size and athleticism but still gets beat an alarming amount of times. Aviles to me can just be really over aggressive, he seems to try and create a turnover on every possession which leads either to a caused turnover (great), a penalty or a goal. Not great. He needs to find some sort of middle ground. I also feel like both allow their "mark" to get a full head of steam when they alley dodge and don't know how to knock them off their path, or basically make them uncomfortable in any way. But maybe the issue isn't so much the players themselves, as a bad system that is causing so much frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom