LAX Action for Memorial Day | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Memorial Day

3 goals in 3 quarters. An embarrassment to the sport.

The women's final was better than the men's. They need to switch to a 90-second shot clock that the women have.

The women's final was better than the men's. They need to switch to a 90-second shot clock that the women have.
60 seconds from the moment you touch it in the box. Then, possibly even down to 45 after 5 years once teams adapt. I've been saying this for years, make this one simple, obvious change & lacrosse hops baseball, soccer, hockey, & whatever else to become this country's 3rd most popular sport. It will negate the impact of FOs & do away with teams taking 15-20 seconds to get their offensive personal on the field via the "hockey line change"...thus bringing back the two-way middie. IMO, it's, as they say, too obvious to happen.

The women's BC team changed mid lines pretty quickly. Actually really never seen a women's team do that before.

60 seconds from the moment you touch it in the box. Then, possibly even down to 45 after 5 years once teams adapt. I've been saying this for years, make this one simple, obvious change & lacrosse hops baseball, soccer, hockey, & whatever else to become this country's 3rd most popular sport. It will negate the impact of FOs & do away with teams taking 15-20 seconds to get their offensive personal on the field via the "hockey line change"...thus bringing back the two-way middie. IMO, it's, as they say, too obvious to happen.
If I recall, the NCAA can only adopt rule changes every other year. Is this upcoming season one of the years that there can changes?

I am a novice observer and losing interest fast. Something needs to be tweaked because this was boring on most fronts. I don't understand the game enough to make a suggestion but if they are trying to lure in a new devotee - this weekend didn't work.

I am a novice observer and losing interest fast. Something needs to be tweaked because this was boring on most fronts. I don't understand the game enough to make a suggestion but if they are trying to lure in a new devotee - this weekend didn't work.
Your going to want to follow UVA as Lars Tiffany runs a fast paced, exciting style of offense that is always pushing the ball fast and looking to score in transition. It is the way the Orange used to play when they were the apex of college lax, before staleness set in.

I thought both teams played some really good defense so I thoroughly enjoyed watching the chess match unfold as both teams were able to take away the other team's primary options.

Having said that, I do agree that the sport needs a shot clock...60 seconds sounds about right...

I don't mind longer possessions but the shot clocked being determined by the refs is very inconsistent...too long at the beginning of the game and it comes on immediately at the end..

I thought both teams played some really good defense so I thoroughly enjoyed watching the chess match unfold as both teams were able to take away the other team's primary options.

Having said that, I do agree that the sport needs a shot clock...60 seconds sounds about right...

I don't mind longer possessions but the shot clocked being determined by the refs is very inconsistent...too long at the beginning of the game and it comes on immediately at the end..

90 seconds when you take possession in your defensive end. That gives you time to clear and sub your middies.

60 seconds after a legal shot attempt.

90 seconds when you take possession in your defensive end. That gives you time to clear and sub your middies.

60 seconds after a legal shot attempt.

Works for me...

Although I do love watching the 1 v 1 matchups and how good the collective team defense is...

And then watching as teams look for match ups they can exploit if their go-to guys can't get it done...

As long as teams are probing and attacking, a 3-2 game doesn't bother me at all...

Kelly, Rambo, Leclaire and Fannell only managed 3 of the 15 goals yesterday so both teams had to find other options and the D won all four of those individual matchups...made for an interesting watch...

I'd say go to a 90 second shot clock when the ball crosses the midfield line. Maybe 120 seconds. subbing or not the timer is on. maybe this will bring about the return of the two-way middie.

you don't need to reset the shot clock after a save or pipe either. it could reset on a ref's judgement whether it's a legit shot or not. I'd rather have that judgement than their arbitrary judgments on stall warnings as is.

i love the faceoff so i don't want to see it removed but you could shake it up a little by moving the wing lines in closer.

Last edited:
Works for me...

Although I do love watching the 1 v 1 matchups and how good the collective team defense is...

And then watching as teams look for match ups they can exploit if their go-to guys can't get it done...

As long as teams are probing and attacking, a 3-2 game doesn't bother me at all...

Kelly, Rambo, Leclaire and Fannell only managed 3 of the 15 goals yesterday so both teams had to find other options and the D won all four of those individual matchups...made for an interesting watch...

some of the individual defensive showings yesterday were awesome, there is no doubt about that and I hate to take away from it, but the tendency was to just pass the ball around and probe until someone fell asleep. a lot of the iso's came when the shot clock went on.

It was also irritating to see legit scoring opportunities wasted because they pulled the ball out, and this is the crux. They'd rather ball control than take chances and push tempo.

I was giddy when the Maryland poles went to the cage and took shots. couldn't believe it. the OSU faceoff guy at the end scoring was because time was running out. I wondered if that happened in the first half he wouldn't have taken the shot.

Last edited:
Agree with a lot of the comments. The number of times yesterday the offense pulled the ball out when they had clear opportunities in transition or unsettled situations tells me everything. The name of the game now for many of these programs is clock control. You can neutralize an offensive juggernaut by gaining possession and keeping the ball as long as possible. Only shoot when you have to. UMD and Towson at the top of the list. I get it but I don't like the game.

some of the individual defensive showings yesterday were awesome, there is no doubt about that and I hate to take away from it, but the tendency was to just pass the ball around and probe until someone fell asleep. a lot of the iso's came when the shot clock went on.

It was also irritating to see legit scoring opportunities wasted because they pulled the ball out, and this is the crux. They'd rather ball control than take chances and push tempo.

I was giddy when the Maryland poles went to the cage and took shots. couldn't believe it. the OSU faceoff guy at the end scoring was because time was running out. I wondered if that happened in the first half he wouldn't have taken the shot.

Yes. No doubt that both teams valued possessions over opportunity...

Given how hard both teams had to work to get a good look, you think they would have tried harder to get to the cage during unsettled situations...

I cannot remember Kelly's goal but Rambo ends up with a bagel without that switch and Leclaire's was from distance...when your main guys are being completely shut down, I would think trying to maximize unsettled situations would be the way to go...

I don't like leaving it up to the ref's, it's too subjective. Alot of teams take pot shots at the goal to make it look like they are attacking the net and then just have a backup.

So how did Ohio St. become good at lacrosse? I know their AD has a crap ton of money, so did they just one day say "hey, let's spend money on lax"

tell ya what. that OSU frosh tre leclaire kid is a weapon. first time i watched him. best stay on his hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom