LAX Schedules / COVID Updates | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Schedules / COVID Updates

fETUjDy__normal.jpg

Mark Larson

@MLarsonSports
· 1h
Great news @CuseMLAX fans. Ran into @bcurry16 at the gym today. He says practice starts Feb. 1 and #Syracuse is working on a 12-game schedule for 2021. Details expected to come out early next week @SPECNewsCNY #OrangeEmpire #lax

Sounds like we might be getting a TV schedule release today ...

This is literally the reason I checked on this thread. Thanks for posting. Hopefully, the rest of the non-league schedule will be available on TV or streaming somewhere.

not hearing much on the IVY side that leads me to think they will have a season.. now if the season was starting in April I could see things breaking better.

Can someone enlighten me on how many positive tests it takes to suspend a game? I haven’t followed college football that closely this season but it seems like a lot of games went ahead despite players testing positive. I have to assume there is some sort of conference mandate, does anyone know what it is for lacrosse?

The fact that they are suspending play for the B.17 variant is a little scary considering this mutation is supposed to be a lot more contagious, and we as a country are already struggling to keep infections down. Hope players know it will take a lot of sacrifices to play out this season.

Can someone enlighten me on how many positive tests it takes to suspend a game? I haven’t followed college football that closely this season but it seems like a lot of games went ahead despite players testing positive. I have to assume there is some sort of conference mandate, does anyone know what it is for lacrosse?

The fact that they are suspending play for the B.17 variant is a little scary considering this mutation is supposed to be a lot more contagious, and we as a country are already struggling to keep infections down. Hope players know it will take a lot of sacrifices to play out this season.

For football, you had to have a minimum number of scholarship players available, four available interior defensive linemen, seven available offensive linemen and one quarterback.

If 5% of the team tests positive, it's a shut down.

No idea what the LAX rules are, but each conference will be similar.

Others may know better than me, but I am not sure it is the positive tests that halt games/programs, as much as the quarantining mandates. Generally, if you are a contact of a positive, you're required to quarantine for 10 days (subject to some exceptions). Positive tests within a program will impact the number of players/staff who have to quarantine as a result too.

As a practical example, most schools, at least here in the Capital District of New York, are not closing/going remote do to student positives, but the resulting quarantine mandates on teachers. There's a tipping point where you no longer have the necessary staff, and thus the schools close. I assume it is somewhat similar for these athletic programs/teams.

For football, you had to have a minimum number of scholarship players available, four available interior defensive linemen, seven available offensive linemen and one quarterback.

If 5% of the team tests positive, it's a shut down.

No idea what the LAX rules are, but each conference will be similar.
Thanks, this is helpful. Lacrosse can’t use the scholarship players as a threshold since they have a lot less to pass out, but it’s probably something similar. Makes you wonder if it’s better to have a bigger roster, and you have more backups in case someone gets sick, or a smaller team and you don’t have as many opportunities to get the virus and pass it around. Doesn’t help if your fourth string goalie gets your starter sick for example.

Others may know better than me, but I am not sure it is the positive tests that halt games/programs, as much as the quarantining mandates. Generally, if you are a contact of a positive, you're required to quarantine for 10 days (subject to some exceptions). Positive tests within a program will impact the number of players/staff who have to quarantine as a result too.

As a practical example, most schools, at least here in the Capital District of New York, are not closing/going remote do to student positives, but the resulting quarantine mandates on teachers. There's a tipping point where you no longer have the necessary staff, and thus the schools close. I assume it is somewhat similar for these athletic programs/teams.
Great point about contact tracing. A lot of it comes down to who gets considered a close contact. To me it seems like anyone on the team could be considered if your sharing the same locker space, but that’s obviously not how they are doing it. If guys are living together I wonder if that qualifies. Again, guys will have to be diligent.

It seems in the Michigan case. That the department of health shut down athletics not the university so its unclear of the actual cause. Its unclear the resolution of everything though. The B10 conference mandate is 21 days or at least it was with football. I think they lowered it to 14 recently for every positive test

well said. The primary cause of infection is proximity to other people, mask or no mask. I think a college team needs 53 players to play a game. The number of players is much less important than the density of humans in any one space. Watch a college football team play kissy-face with each other after or during a game to understand blatant stupidity. Wonderful read about how money influences culture - "Evil Geniuses". Big college sports are a good example.

Also interesting to note. Michigan reporters have come out and said no positive tests occurred to cause the shutdown of athletics

Duke scheduled 14 games to Cuse 12. The other 4 ACC teams always seem to schedule 1 or 2 more regular season games than Cuse. Is that because of better weather (not ND) or due to add of some weekday games. Do correct me if my sense is wrong.

Duke first 8 opponents are out of conference before a string of 6 acc games to close out regular season.

Better to be facing Duke later than earlier because they should be better prepared n assimilated given earlier start to practice plus having full squad intact in fall to play several competitive inter squad games.

Been raves about Sowers talents and how he is sharpening both their offense as well as their defense which is added benefit of having a dodging force at X. Wish he had gone to PSU.

O Neill showed in fall that he's real deal as did Cuse's Hiltz. Difference in size but both rooks are going to star for respective programs, just a matter of when.

IT, gotta disagree about when to play Duke. They always seem to struggle in the early goings of a season, and I have to think this year, even though they are super talented, it will take some time to get everyone acclimated. Think Denver has a good chance to beat them opening weekend.

Anxious about the late start to practice, Army will have a good two weeks on Syracuse by the time the first game rolls around. Totally understand the precautions being taken, but still hard to watch these other programs practicing every day. Having so many veterans come back should really help, but it takes time to not only get back in game shape, but also get chemistry right. Decision making regarding lineups and playing time will be super condensed. Also if someone shows up on campus with a positive, that puts the team even further behind.

Withe the uncertainty about this season its a shame we haven't gotten more lacrosse stories in the media. I don't think Inside Lacrosse even did a Face-off Yearbook. Hopefully there is a media day of some sort on Monday. It feels very strange to have such little buildup to this season, especially when there's never been this amount of talent, given the fifth years.

Duke's noncon schedule is iffy. Robert Morris, Mercer, Towson, Air Force, Jacksonville, High Point...not exactly a murderer's row. No Loyola this year, no Penn (for obvious reasons). Richmond and Denver are solid but the rest likely aren't going to help the Blue Devils come selection time. That is, assuming there are at-large bids this year and that they are picked based on the usual criteria.

Really looking forward to watching Denver- Duke. Be interesting to see all the offseason additions in action . Duke has won three of the last four despite Walker taking Harris to the shed when they've matchup. Morrill is going to help Hannah and others .Hoping Yale has a season so Ierlan stays put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom