Class of 2017 - LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE

We bring him in and the best guys play.
Why would a graduate transfer with one year left come to a school where he does not have a high chance of starting.
If I where him I would pass on a school that had two senior starters.

What if the best combination of LB's is Zaire, Guthrie and Valdez? or Zaire, Valdez and Bennett with Guthrie as the primary back up who will start as a senior. Just thowing it out there for discussion

Reactions: CIL
What if the best combination of LB's is Zaire, Guthrie and Valdez? or Zaire, Valdez and Bennett with Guthrie as the primary back up who will start as a senior. Just thowing it out there for discussion

I it would be interesting to see Zaire, Valdez, Bennett with Guthrie and Armstrong subbing in regularly.

Well I don't think he is saying you don't try to bring him in. But the guy has to agree to come here. I haven't checked the NCAA rulebook on this but I think kidnapping is frowned upon.
Depends on the school. Just like child abuse.

These new/potential new kids that good to push Bennett's pt? The kids been a monster for us...

These new/potential new kids that good to push Bennett's pt? The kids been a monster for us...
I don't think he will lose his job but he still has work to do to be a complete LB. He is better in space. Good field LB. very good chasing down plays and slipping underneath blocks to make tackles. He is best when blitzing. This scheme doesnt allow him to blitz as much. Its possible that someone with a skillset that fits the system can be more productive because it improves the overall production of the defense. If that makes sense. lol

I don't think he will lose his job but he still has work to do to be a complete LB. He is better in space. Good field LB. very good chasing down plays and slipping underneath blocks to make tackles. He is best when blitzing. This scheme doesnt allow him to blitz as much. Its possible that someone with a skillset that fits the system can be more productive because it improves the overall production of the defense. If that makes sense. lol
Makes perfect sense. Very excited about these next 2 years with so much competition at big time positions. QB/LB/Safety/WR and TE should all be very fun to watch.

Well I don't think he is saying you don't try to bring him in. But the guy has to agree to come here. I haven't checked the NCAA rulebook on this but I think kidnapping is frowned upon.

Wheelhouse?

Given the experience we have returning at LB, I agree this ordinarily wouldn't make sense. But remember, Valdez has 2 years of experience playing in this scheme. He is someone the staff knows better than the players on the team right now. There is reason to expect he could come in and make a difference immediately.

From what I have seen, Valdez is the real deal. 144 tackles is extraordinary. He made 20 tackles in a single game. He brings great raw speed, a nose for the football and a lot of experience to the table. If we have a chance to get him, I think we have to do it.

If all it costs is playing Zaire with some reps at another LB position this spring, I think you have to do it.

But you can't promise Valdez he is going to start. You promise everyone the best 3 LBs will play. And keep your word on that. I don't think there is any way Zaire isn't going to start...the real question is would he or Valdez move? But you have to make moves to get the best talent possible on the field. Zaire and Parris should understand that and have no problem with it.

Given the experience we have returning at LB, I agree this ordinarily wouldn't make sense. But remember, Valdez has 2 years of experience playing in this scheme. He is someone the staff knows better than the players on the team right now. There is reason to expect he could come in and make a difference immediately.

From what I have seen, Valdez is the real deal. 144 tackles is extraordinary. He made 20 tackles in a single game. He brings great raw speed, a nose for the football and a lot of experience to the table. If we have a chance to get him, I think we have to do it.

If all it costs is playing Zaire with some reps at another LB position this spring, I think you have to do it.

But you can't promise Valdez he is going to start. You promise everyone the best 3 LBs will play. And keep your word on that. I don't think there is any way Zaire isn't going to start...the real question is would he or Valdez move? But you have to make moves to get the best talent possible on the field. Zaire and Parris should understand that and have no problem with it.
Those are my exact thoughts.

I think it's going to be difficult to keep Andrew Armstrong off the field.
Boy if I had the time to go back and check the posts when we were recruiting him, I believe I said close to the same thing. Or at least along the same line. He is a stud too. We are booked with some awesome linebackers.

Maybe he changed his mind?
There's a kid from Ohio State who is practicing with the team, even though he intends to transfer when he graduates in May. Could be the same situation here, since he's still enrolled.

yup. I knew this wasnt going away. Staff is taking on our issues on defense by storm. Can't recall the last time we brought in so many impact grad and juco transfers. If we can have a defense ranked atleast in the 70's , we will be going bowling.