Class of 2017 - LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE

still-of-burt-lancaster-in-valdez-1971-large-picture.jpg
VALDEZ IS COMING!

Glad to see this, but I'm a little confused. Why would a 5th year grad transfer Mike come to a school where the Mike is practically locked down (Franklin), not to mention we have a sophomore that is expected to step in next year and has shown he can play. Now, on the positive, Valdez knows the scheme and can help our guys better understand the expectations, but I'm wondering if he's going to be playing in another spot or, heaven help us, we go to a 3-4 defense.

Glad to see this, but I'm a little confused. Why would a 5th year grad transfer Mike come to a school where the Mike is practically locked down (Franklin), not to mention we have a sophomore that is expected to step in next year and has shown he can play. Now, on the positive, Valdez knows the scheme and can help our guys better understand the expectations, but I'm wondering if he's going to be playing in another spot or, heaven help us, we go to a 3-4 defense.
I think he will be playing another spot. Best 3 will play and I imagine he has a good chance to start. We now have a quality 2 deep. Armstrong, Guthrie and whoever doesnt start. Our 2 deep will feature 2 players whose started and played meaningul games, along with a juco all american who had over 100 tackles. Thats pretty nice.

Last edited:
Woot! Things are looking up. IIRC, 12 guys in the 2017 class for D... It needs to improve, and this looks like all out...

Im excited.

Far better depth at pretty much every position on d. Will be a competitve fall camp. Everyone will benefit.

This kid is no joke in this system. Solid get.

I think he will be playing another spot. Best 3 will play and I imagine he has a good chance to start. We now have a quality 2 deep. Armstrong, Guthrie and whoever doesnt start. Our 2 deep with feature 2 players whose started and played meaningul games, along with a juco all american who had over 100 tackles. Thats pretty nice.
Agree with this. I expect Valdez to win a starting job, along with Franklin and Bennett.

If we have learned anything playing the kind of schedule we again face this season, a number of starters will miss games with injuries, and others will get so banged up, the quality of their play will be greatly diminished. If we expect to contend for ACC titles, and regularly play in bowl games, quality depth must be developed. This is one of the first units on the team to get to that point.

It is great to see. Welcome to Syracuse Austin!

He will play. Franklin, Valdez and Bennett will give us 3 guys with ACC size, range and coverage skills.
It's really nice to finally read or hear that we have a starting linebacker corp that is ACC quality and possibly all 3 of their back ups are also. We are getting there. Go SU

We could almost field an entirely different, and experienced, defense from last year. Between Martin, Williams, Butler, Grosvenor, Allen, Berry, Guthrie, and now Valdez, I'm really excited to see whether we improve.

Last edited:
We could almost field an entirely different, and experienced, defense from last year. Between Martin, Williams, Butler, Grosvenor, Allen, Berry, Guthrie, and now Valdez, I'm really excited to see whether we improve.
I think true sophomores with a full year in the weight room (Foster, Coleman, Black, McKinley Williams, Jones, Bradshaw, Armstrong) is just as important, if not more so.

Now DT is really the major spot to get another body. Wonder if there is another grad DT out there. Excellent get for SU and it's exciting to see the staff go out and get talent. Let's hope Mr. Valdez puts together a wonderful final season.

I think true sophomores with a full year in the weight room (Foster, Coleman, Black, McKinley Williams, Jones, Bradshaw, Armstrong) is just as important, if not more so.
Also, it appears that Clarke is being let back on the team.

Also, it appears that Clarke is being let back on the team.
Steve Clarke? Where are you getting that from? I know he has decided to stay at Syracuse, but not for football, rather to finish his degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom