Class of 2017 - LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE

8 players with college experience. 3 grad transfers.

Talk about addressing a problem while still developing depth!

I think our defense will get significantly more stops this year. One thing people have to remember though is that we'll still likely be one of the poorer P5 teams statistically. Strictly due to the nature of our offense. It just provides more drives for the opposition.

Regardless, I feel great about where we're going. I still think we need more RB depth though. Hopefully we can get the ground game going, as that opens up the rest and provides the ability to control the game to a higher degree.
Given the youth returning, you'd expect improvement, but hopefully it takes an even bigger jump with all of this added experience now part of the mix too.

Easy to be optimistic right now.

Regardless, I feel great about where we're going. I still think we need more RB depth though. Hopefully we can get the ground game going, as that opens up the rest and provides the ability to control the game to a higher degree.

Finding a decent running game, and also more pressures from the DEs -- the two big keys for 2017. And it is OL play (more than RB depth) and having the young DEs grow into their roles.

But it could provide that line in the sand where from this point forward, guys at a couple of positional units can be redshirted moving forward, which enables the same thing the following year, wash-rinse-repeat.

This is true. With the depth created last year, no true frosh should be forced into action unless they are the ones forcing it.

Still not expecting anything beyond 5 wins this year due to the schedule but ready to see that jump to 7 in 2018 despite losing what I imagine will be all 3 starting lbs and top 2 offensive weapons.

I agree, thought the same thing about some of the shirts we burned last year. We burned shirts for a D that was monumentally, historically bad. We could have done that with outgoing seniors and juniors. Love and trust DINO, but a bit frustrating.

Don't think there was a ton of choice, were running out of bodies all over the defense and needed guys to play on coverage units. Just unfortunate.

This is true. With the depth created last year, no true frosh should be forced into action unless they are the ones forcing it.

Still not expecting anything beyond 5 wins this year due to the schedule but ready to see that jump to 7 in 2018 despite losing what I imagine will be all 3 starting lbs and top 2 offensive weapons.
I say we will be losing three top Linebackers maybe 4, but I do believe we will have three more to step right in and without losing much of beat. Armstrong, Fagon, Trotter, Henderson,and I do believe Ryan Guthrie.

I say we will be losing three top Linebackers maybe 4, but I do believe we will have three more to step right in and without losing much of beat. Armstrong, Fagon, Trotter, Henderson,and I do believe Ryan Guthrie.

I thought Trotter was a DB.

Kid was an absolute STUD under Ward. 144 tackles. You can't ask for more than that.

Valdez, Franklin, Bennett is a filthy 3 LBs. Then you look at the backups. We're ready to go next season.

My question is whether those three are complimentary. I.E., are both Franklin and Valdez Mike's.

And I am 100% in favor of snagging Valdez, add the best talent you can. Just semi-stinks that he might play the same position as one of our top defenders. Hope those three can coexist, because if so Valdez is a big upgrade over our third starter last season.

My question is whether those three are complimentary. I.E., are both Franklin and Valdez Mike's.

And I am 100% in favor of snagging Valdez, add the best talent you can. Just semi-stinks that he might play the same position as one of our top defenders. Hope those three can coexist, because if so Valdez is a big upgrade over our third starter last season.[/QUOTE
They are football players. They will make it work.

Austin, Welcome to the Syracuse Football family. Go Orange!

Austin Valdez DSC_0435.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom