Legacy over Money | Syracusefan.com

Legacy over Money

sendithome

Walk On
Anthony Davis’ quote should be the response to why kids should stay at SU instead of going pro unless he is absolutely ready.
An SU legacy is a big deal.
For example - Battle has a chance to be in top 3 leading scorers if he returns next year. Is building a SU legacy worth an outside shot at making NBA as second round pick or UFA or earning $$ in Europe a year early? I say yes.

That’s probably easy for a person worth over 50 mil and who likely had financials figured out for him since junior year of highschool to say

Anthony Davis wasnt a top 50 recruit his jr year of high school

Anthony Davis’ quote should be the response to why kids should stay at SU instead of going pro unless he is absolutely ready.
For example - Battle has a chance to be in top 3 leading scorers if he returns next year. Is building a SU legacy worth an outside shot at making NBA as second round pick or UFA or earning $$ in Europe a year early? I say yes.

What about the legacy of providing for your family and having the ability to retire in your 30s and never have to work again.

You seem all right and I don’t want to sound like a dick but it’s funny how cavalier people can be with other people’s careers and money.

Lawrence Moten was never going to be a top 5 pick like Dion (and Anthony Davis). If he left after three years, he would have made the same NBA money without the SU legacy. Kids that are guaranteed lottery picks should leave.

My point is the degree and an SU legacy with subsequent connections beats the likely extra year in the G league or extra year in Europe.

You seem all right and I don’t want to sound like a dick but it’s funny how cavalier people can be with other people’s careers and money.

I’m not taking the decision from the kid and his family. I’m pointing out that a legacy, as Anthony Davis points out, can have long term value over the short term money gain.

I’m not taking the decision from the kid and his family. I’m pointing out that a legacy, as Anthony Davis points out, can have long term value over the short term money gain.

It’s not just a “short term money gain.”

If Battle leaves this year, and even if he’s “only” a second round pick, is it a mistake that he left? Is it a guarentee that’s he gets drafted at all after four years?

And what is a “legacy?” How does it change by staying for a fourth year and how does it help him?

I guarantee you Lawrence Moten (all-time leading scorer, 600k career NBA earnings) would gladly trade places with Dion Waiters ($30 million career earnings and rising) in a second.

I think the point is that a Lawrence Moten would have left after his first- at the most his second year in today’s world. Does anyone think his NBA career would have been more successful if he left than the one he had?

It’s not just a “short term money gain.”

If Battle leaves this year, and even if he’s “only” a second round pick, is it a mistake that he left? Is it a guarentee that’s he gets drafted at all after four years?

And what is a “legacy?” How does it change by staying for a fourth year and how does it help him?

He’d need all 4 years to have a shot at the career scoring title.
That would be pretty much his only extra “legacy” at Syracuse, barring another very unexpected Final Four run.

Guys like CJ & KrisJo likely hurt their potential career earnings by staying all 4 years, IF they had a shot to jump earlier (which is debatable)

You go to college to prepare you to earn a living afterwards.
If you can maximize those earnings by leaving after 1, 2, or 3 years - you should.

He’d need all 4 years to have a shot at the career scoring title.
That would be pretty much his only extra “legacy” at Syracuse, barring another very unexpected Final Four run.

Guys like CJ & KrisJo likely hurt their potential career earnings by staying all 4 years, IF they had a shot to jump earlier (which is debatable)

You go to college to prepare you to earn a living afterwards.
If you can maximize those earnings by leaving after 1, 2, or 3 years - you should.
I thought I read somewhere last year that Tyus is a good student and could graduate in 2019? Anyone know if that"s correct?

I thought I read somewhere last year that Tyus is a good student and could graduate in 2019? Anyone know if that"s correct?

I’ve heard similar.

Rak graduated in 3, so it’s been done before.

I think the point is that a Lawrence Moten would have left after his first- at the most his second year in today’s world. Does anyone think his NBA career would have been more successful if he left than the one he had?

Yes

No

LOL

Lol that you think your question isn’t asinine. My Yes was mocking you.

You asked a hypothetical question where’s there’s literally no facts that can give you the correct answer in either direction.

Lol that you think your question isn’t asinine. My Yes was mocking you.

You asked a hypothetical question where’s there’s literally no facts that can give you the correct answer in either direction.

Isn’t that the entire thread’s theme, a hypothetical, in fact aren’t many of threads on these boards arguing what some consider an asinine hypothetical :p

When you are talking 220 million vs. 167 million it’s okay to say legacy over money as you are getting more money than your grandkids will ever need.

When you talking about kids in college getting 0 vs. getting a guaranteed contract it’s not the same analogy.

I never blame a kid for striking while the iron is hot.

How much does it pay to be a top 3 leading scorer at SU?
Trying to get the dumb posts in before the end of the year. Nice strategy.

Moten would never get drafted higher than the 2nd round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom