Legacy over Money | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Legacy over Money

I thought I read somewhere last year that Tyus is a good student and could graduate in 2019? Anyone know if that"s correct?

Tyus needs one or two more classes after this year to graduate with his degree. He is a good student in a difficult major (computer science). The idea was that he’d come back to school this year to get closer to his degree. He can make up those two classes anytime after college. Him staying an extra year doesn’t do anything for him academically.

Carmelo won more in Denver than AD has in New Orleans.

And 1 could argue he chose money over legacy demanding the midseason trade ripping NY of a lot of assets.

Melo is a HOF'er for sure. But i think he is a case study for NBA stars to try to avoid his career legacy.

When you are talking 220 million vs. 167 million it’s okay to say legacy over money as you are getting more money than your grandkids will ever need.

When you talking about kids in college getting 0 vs. getting a guaranteed contract it’s not the same analogy.

I never blame a kid for striking while the iron is hot.

Agreed.
I don’t think the iron is even lukewarm for any current SU players though.

Lawrence Moten was never going to be a top 5 pick like Dion (and Anthony Davis). If he left after three years, he would have made the same NBA money without the SU legacy. Kids that are guaranteed lottery picks should leave.

My point is the degree and an SU legacy with subsequent connections beats the likely extra year in the G league or extra year in Europe.
The last paragraph contains some things I really don't get. Why do people like you think a player can't return to SU and get a degree? The door isn't shut. Lots of guys so it, at schools all over the country. And do you really think as a senior they are going to have more "connections" then earlier. Their "connection" is the fact that they were on TV.

I don't think David's statement is supporting the OP the way they're thinking.

Sadly too many athletes who come back for a degree are in dire straits financially. They only come back (I'm not restricting this to SU athletes) when they have exhausted all avenues on the court to make any type of living and realize when approaching middle age many with numerous dependents, that they really do need a degree and are poorly prepared for life after their playing days. Few save any of their money for that degree despite people saying when a player leaves that they could always come back and pay for it themselves with all the money they will have earned leaving early for the NBA/overseas etc. SU athletes are fortunate because of the stability with long term coaches and SU connected grads working at SU - many colleges that go through numerous coaching and administrative regimes don't provide former athletes the connections after their playing days end a decade or more from their college glory days.

The Melo's, Lebron's , Durant's etc don't have those worries but those are the exceptions not the rule. Hopefully the vast majority of players, many who are impulse driven have a plan for the remaining 40 years of their lives who are hoping to start new careers a decade or 2 behind their former classsmates to provide a living for themselves and their families. Many hope to go into coaching etc but those positions require degrees. I do think colleges have a responsibility that their players have majors that provide a bright future for them past college not just courses that keep them eligible even if that's the only thing the player cares about at the time. Those players have a much more difficult time 'picking up a degree' and many need to start all over again, an almost impossible task time wise at their age not even considering financial considerations.

The last paragraph contains some things I really don't get. Why do people like you think a player can't return to SU and get a degree? The door isn't shut. Lots of guys so it, at schools all over the country. And do you really think as a senior they are going to have more "connections" then earlier. Their "connection" is the fact that they were on TV.
One in 10 players return to college to finish their degrees after they're done playing. And the majority of them are high profile guys.

The overwhelming majority of the time, a college basketball fan vouching for a player to stay and earn his degree is just a thinly veiled disguise for “I’m not done having you entertain me for free yet.”

Tim Duncan stayed 4 years it did nothing for his Wake Forest legacy.
It probably cost him 10 million dollars in NBA earnings from an extra year in his career.

The overwhelming majority of the time, a college basketball fan vouching for a player to stay and earn his degree is just a thinly veiled disguise for “I’m not done having you entertain me for free yet.”

Then this post is usually followed by “Nuh uh I’m totally different!!!!ine” guy.

Or Brian.

Ehhh too far. Actually that’s insulting.

Especially because I and plenty of others spend a lot of our hard earned money on Syracuse sports so I am certainly not getting entertained for free.

Especially because I and plenty of others spend a lot of our hard earned money on Syracuse sports so I am certainly not getting entertained for free.

The player. The player is the one playing without pay.

The player. The player is the one playing without pay.

Not what the context is in his made up accusational quote.

“I’m not done having you entertain me for free yet”

I read that 100 times and that’s the fan persoective.

What am I supposed to do? Stop watching college basketball in general?

I was referring to the player.

What am I supposed to do? Stop watching college basketball in general?

Of course I’m not suggesting that. I am just saying that most of the time when a college fan encourages a player to stay and “earn his degree” they aren’t genuinely invested in whether that player can become an accountant or web developer in 20 years. They simply want their team to win games. I didn’t think this was a hot take.

Just playing devils advocate, but college definitely helped others earn money. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green are prime examples of that. Not every NBA star is a top 50 recruit.

Just playing devils advocate, but college definitely helped others earn money. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green are prime examples of that. Not every NBA star is a top 50 recruit.

I’m cool with players deciding to stay. Good for them! College basketball!

I’m less cool with message board posters Judging kids they don’t know on choices they make for, let’s be honest here, selfish reasons.

Of course I’m not suggesting that. I am just saying that most of the time when a college fan encourages a player to stay and “earn his degree” they aren’t genuinely invested in whether that player can become an accountant or web developer in 20 years. They simply want their team to win games. I didn’t think this was a hot take.

I’m all for letting kids pick their future. But some make good and some make bad decisions. My hot take (and I’m on the record for it) is only time can tell whether it was good or bad. And even then there are variables. A rational person could argue Johnny Flynn should have stayed in hindsight. He wouldn’t have suffered THAT career ending injury. He was the #6 pick.

That being said - Tyus came back at least in part because of graduation/credits. You’re really saying a fan can’t use that as an example?

And you’re using an accusational slave owner tone to do it. I’m sorry it’s incredibly insulting to me who has probably spent $50,000 or more on Syracuse sports related costs in my life.

And you’re using an accusational slave owner tone to do it. I’m sorry it’s incredibly insulting to me who has probably spent $50,000 or more on Syracuse sports related costs in my life.

Dude you are literally the only person who interpreted that way. Have you considered that maybe it’s a “you” problem?

Dude you are literally the only person who interpreted that way. Have you considered that maybe it’s a “you” problem?

I guess. But the only time I hear “thinly veiled disguise” is usually attached to a very bigoted/racist/homophobic/sexist comment. I guess I don’t appreciate the context of any of those associated with me or my friends.

I guess. But the only time I hear “thinly veiled disguise” is usually attached to a very bigoted/racist/homophobic/s e xist comment. I guess I don’t appreciate the context of any of those associated with me or my friends.

I don't think you're bigoted, racist, homophobic or sexist. And I fully acknowledge that you spend your hard earned money supporting SU athletics. We good?

I also should point out that I HATE the slave analogy that athletes often use, and Lebron just used the other day. It's incredibly offensive to the horrors of actual slavery.

Sadly too many athletes who come back for a degree are in dire straits financially. They only come back (I'm not restricting this to SU athletes) when they have exhausted all avenues on the court to make any type of living and realize when approaching middle age many with numerous dependents, that they really do need a degree and are poorly prepared for life after their playing days. Few save any of their money for that degree despite people saying when a player leaves that they could always come back and pay for it themselves with all the money they will have earned leaving early for the NBA/overseas etc. SU athletes are fortunate because of the stability with long term coaches and SU connected grads working at SU - many colleges that go through numerous coaching and administrative regimes don't provide former athletes the connections after their playing days end a decade or more from their college glory days.

The Melo's, Lebron's , Durant's etc don't have those worries but those are the exceptions not the rule. Hopefully the vast majority of players, many who are impulse driven have a plan for the remaining 40 years of their lives who are hoping to start new careers a decade or 2 behind their former classsmates to provide a living for themselves and their families. Many hope to go into coaching etc but those positions require degrees. I do think colleges have a responsibility that their players have majors that provide a bright future for them past college not just courses that keep them eligible even if that's the only thing the player cares about at the time. Those players have a much more difficult time 'picking up a degree' and many need to start all over again, an almost impossible task time wise at their age not even considering financial considerations.
Many people who go to college to get a degree are in dire straights, financially. Now they will have real experience as to why this stuff might be important.

Yup. I bet NO ONE here has gone up to commencement at SU to cheer on a player getting his diploma.

Last edited:
i think fans here generally want our guys to be ready to succeed when they go. Malachi, Lydon are playing minor league ball. To want their games to be more refined for their opportunities isn't necessarily selfish from a fan's point of view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom