Legacy over Money | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Legacy over Money

Which is all the more reason to get paid while you can instead of sticking around so a few fans have a better team to root for the next winter. Because if it doesn't work out for them you're able to just shrug your shoulders and forget about it while you tell the next kid he should stay but meanwhile the player and his family just lost their chance at millions.

A guy like Ennis sure. Some others maybe had a higher ceiling, and got discarded quick because they weren’t ready. That’s the point of disagreement.

i think fans here generally want our guys to be ready to succeed when they go. Malachi, Lydon are playing minor league ball. To want their games to be more refined for their opportunities isn't necessarily selfish from a fan's point of view.

Lydon played 9 minutes for the Nuggets in a game against the Clippers I watched the other night.

If Malachi stayed I think he would have played himself out of the draft. His shooting percentage is still the same it was his freshman year here which from 3 point range worse than Cooney's.

Lydon played 9 minutes for the Nuggets in a game against the Clippers I watched the other night.

If Malachi stayed I think he would have played himself out of the draft. His shooting percentage is still the same it was his freshman year here which from 3 point range worse than Cooney's.

You (or I) cant make a rational argument because the alternative is completely unknown and its nothing more than a wild guess.

You (or I) cant make a rational argument because the alternative is completely unknown and its nothing more than a wild guess.

He shoots 30% from 3 as a shooting guard. If it didn't get better in the NBA why would it in college?

He shoots 30% from 3 as a shooting guard. If it didn't get better in the NBA why would it in college?

Because with every decision comes a different reaction.

Everything could have been different had he stayed. he may have bonded with gerry and gotten 1 tip that forever altered his stroke. we have no idea. it could have been worse, it could have been better. but the alternative is completely unknown.

If johnny flynn initially made the wrong choice and stayed at cuse his jr year he almost certainly wouldnt have had his hip fall off. but we wouldnt have known that at the time he returned nor would we have ever known that throughout his career.

In basketball terms if their stock gets worse they weren’t going to make it anyway.

Yeah that seems more like an argument to get paid while you can.

Getting paid 'while you can' encompasses the broader point Bay is making imo. If one surely has the talent, whether he stays another year or not, it's not going to impact him financially, as his talent level will sustain his overall longevity, and related wealth because of it.

The system has evolved to where potential is evaluated more than anything. Therefore, many of these guys that get drafted no doubt 'take the money and run' while the iron is hot. And, many of them ultimately prove the larger point of not having the actual talent level it takes to "make it" long(er) term.

You certainly can't blame them for taking the dough, that's for sure. If anyone of us came out of college green and unseasoned and some prospective employer extravegantly gambled on what they thought your potential may be by offering a mil or two, we'd all have jumped on that in a heartbeat. If you didn't turn out to be worth the risk, well, too bad, the joke's on them...they ain't getting that cash back.

Getting paid 'while you can' encompasses the broader point Bay is making imo. If one surely has the talent, whether he stays another year or not, it's not going to impact him financially, as his talent level will sustain his overall longevity, and related wealth because of it.

The system has evolved to where potential is evaluated more than anything. Therefore, many of these guys that get drafted no doubt 'take the money and run' while the iron is hot. And, many of them ultimately prove the larger point of not having the actual talent level it takes to "make it" long(er) term.

You certainly can't blame them for taking the dough, that's for sure. If anyone of us came out of college green and unseasoned and some prospective employer extravegantly gambled on what they thought your potential may be by offering a mil or two, we'd all have jumped on that in a heartbeat. If you didn't turn out to be worth the risk, well, too bad, the joke's on them...they ain't getting that cash back.

1. If you "have the talent" to play in the NBA you should leave as early as you can since even if you can sustain a lengthy NBA career you'll never get the years back of lost earnings from staying in school.

2. If you dont have the talent you should leave as early as you can because the possibility of a guaranteed contract isnt going to be there the longer you stay in school.

I mean like you said the drat is all about "potential." The closer you are to a finished product in school the worse your stock is going to be.

1. If you "have the talent" to play in the NBA you should leave as early as you can since even if you can sustain a lengthy NBA career you'll never get the years back of lost earnings from staying in school.

2. If you dont have the talent you should leave as early as you can because the possibility of a guaranteed contract isnt going to be there the longer you stay in school.

I mean like you said the drat is all about "potential." The closer you are to a finished product in school the worse your stock is going to be.

If you have the 'talent' to play in the NBA, you will have no worries at all about the "years back of lost earnings"
you're attempting to make as the sustainable years (if you have the talent to stick around) will likely provide you with more than enough $$$ to live several lifetimes. The $$$ lost in those early years which you allude to are relatively peanuts compared to what is earned after the rookie contracts...if you have the talent to stick/last.

If you have the 'talent' to play in the NBA, you will have no worries at all about the "years back of lost earnings"
you're attempting to make as the sustainable years (if you have the talent to stick around) will likely provide you with more than enough $$$ to live several lifetimes. The $$$ lost in those early years which you allude to are relatively peanuts compared to what is earned after the rookie contracts...if you have the talent to stick/last.

So then play for free for...reasons?

And "relative peanuts." I see we've come full circle right back to the first post I made in the thread.

So then play for free for...reasons?

And "relative peanuts." I see we've come full circle right back to the first post I made in the thread.

Well, it is all relative...and opinion. Arguably, no different than your 'cavalier' remark in your first post, which is a similar sentiment shared by many investment brokers/financial advisors. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom