lemons long catch and run. | Syracusefan.com

lemons long catch and run.

upperdeck

Living Legend
two things it highlights, elite speed turns both his catches into TD's,. and how was that not a horse collar?

two things it highlights, elite speed turns both his catches into TD's,. and how was that not a horse collar?
If he had elite speed, he would not be here. It was a horse collar.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

my point was that so many plays are there to be huge but we have a step slower guys making the plays.. smith as well probably scores 1-2 times with better speed.. the fact we can move the ball without guys like that is a good sign of a better constructed offense and better oline play.. WV is showing even with elite guys you still have to make plays to consistently move the ball.

SUrprised they never mentioned the horse collar. It was pretty obvious. Didn't matter much though as it would have only been a 1 yard penalty.

Lemon reminds me of Ed McCaffrey. Great routes, great hands, not so great speed. Ed had a pretty damn successful career in the NFL.

Lemon reminds me of Ed McCaffrey. Great routes, great hands, not so great speed. Ed had a pretty damn successful career in the NFL.

Big difference is that Ed is 6'5".

Big difference is that Ed is 6'5".
...and Brandon Stokely and Wes Welker are both under six feet. I'm not sure Alec has the speed of either but he will get a chance to play on Sundays. He is, far and away, our best wr.

WR speed is very overrated on this board and to a lesser degree RB speed. We watch highlights and see fast burners making big plays. Could we use someone faster, absolutely. Sure hands, running good routes, blocking, creating space on your break, and playing hard all game are all significantly more important then speed.

WR speed is very overrated on this board and to a lesser degree RB speed. We watch highlights and see fast burners making big plays. Could we use someone faster, absolutely. Sure hands, running good routes, blocking, creating space on your break, and playing hard all game are all significantly more important then speed.
You can be a play maker without hitting a HR. How many guys could have made the cut back after the catch that sprung him? GREAT move!

You can be a play maker without hitting a HR. How many guys could have made the cut back after the catch that sprung him? GREAT move!

Yeah, that's a great point too that I didn't think about. Some wr's as soon as they know they're about to get hit just go down knowing they aren't going anywhere. Lemon does have a little shudder in him and always attempts to shake off the contact.

I also want to be clear, I'm not saying speed isn't important and it helps break a game open and forces a defense to adjust. But we so over emphasize the speed of every recruit when there are so many more intangibles that are far more important play by play over the course of a game ---> season.

Yeah, that's a great point too that I didn't think about. Some wr's as soon as they know they're about to get hit just go down knowing they aren't going anywhere. Lemon does have a little shudder in him and always attempts to shake off the contact.

I also want to be clear, I'm not saying speed isn't important and it helps break a game open and forces a defense to adjust. But we so over emphasize the speed of every recruit when there are so many more intangibles that are far more important play by play over the course of a game ---> season.
Agreed.

All teams need players like Alec Lemon! He'd be even better if he had a running partner (or two) that could consistently stretch the field creating more space. We're very lucky Alec wears orange.

If he had elite speed, he would not be here. It was a horse collar.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Alec will be missed...he was what we hoped for. The kid has a punchers chance of making an NFL Squad that needs some help.

If you put Alec Lemon's smarts, grit and shake into Johnnie Morant...he'd be concluding a HOF career in a few seasons.

That cutback was an nfl move.

That cutback was an nfl move.
OK I agree but honestly,I thought he had more speed than that. I will say that his ability to jack his YAC numbers this season especially on shorter passes has been impressive.:eek:

Funny I mentioned the horse collar to my wife right after the play and I was sitting at the other end of the field. The replay confirmed it. Not that we would have gained much but it is strange how it was not called after last year when the refs went overboard on making that call (some questionable horse collars). I think there was another in the 2nd half that was called as well.

Let me supply the answer that would work. Find a CB to replace Reddish next spring and fall. Put Reddish back on offense where he can make that impact with his speed and agility. I can see a short pass turning into points with his ability to use his talent. Its not like Brandon is a shut down corner that is impossible to replace. Wayne Morgan might be the immediate logical choice with a bit more experience. Any thoughts ?:noidea:

Let me supply the answer that would work. Find a CB to replace Reddish next spring and fall. Put Reddish back on offense where he can make that impact with his speed and agility. I can see a short pass turning into points with his ability to use his talent. Its not like Brandon is a shut down corner that is impossible to replace. Wayne Morgan might be the immediate logical choice with a bit more experience. Any thoughts ?:noidea:

Reddish isn't going to offense. You don't move a future all conference player.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reddish isn't going to offense. You don't move a future all conference player.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's not true, I saw Nassib on special teams and on defense last spring.

I think Alec getting caught was symbolic of where the program is right now. We are getting there but aren't there quite yet. We have guys who can make catches and even break big ones but they can't outrun everybody. We have been there before and will be again. Guys like Alec will help us get there.

We have two receivers that can out run everybody Clark and Kobena.

I like the stack they used to free up Clark.

Always been a Lemon fan but he's like the godfather 3 to me...once I'm won over, his drops bring me back again. Of course being an SU fan I always notice the drops more than other schools receivers and appreciate the career he has had on the hill. I just want him to have the career I really thought he was going to have because I've always thought he had very good hands and to be honest when he did/does drop the ball it always surprises me. I wonder what his catch/drop ratio is compared the other SU receivers is since 90 or so? I'll bet it's still pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom