Leon Lowery transferring to Wisconsin (again) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Leon Lowery transferring to Wisconsin (again)

“He was trying to tell me the agent was pulling a fast one on him and he fired him that night,” Cipot said. “I think they were looking for a bigger deal so they could get paid. That’s what I took out of it. Obviously, they weren’t in it for the interest of the kid because the kid wanted to go to Wisconsin. He was whole-heartedly all-in.”

This is the dark side of NIL…. Young adults (kids still really when it comes to money) who have none or minimal financial literacy (not a knock, what college kid does? I didn’t for sure) and are trying to do large deals. Then you get someone who you think is in your corner but really they are looking out for themselves.

The Athletic article also states that Lowery had a list of "Demands" prior to signing with Wisconsin. This entire recruiting setup with NIL is an open invitation for bad actors , and will turn College athletics into a cesspool.

A starting role was on his list of demands. Wisconsin said ok.

If anyone wants an inside look at how much player acquisition has changed, just take a read of that article.

Super sleazy stuff. I know some of this stuff happened in the shadows prior to 2021, but you will never be able to convince me that it happened to the degree that it's happening now, especially with opening the Pandora's Box of the free-for-all transfer portal.

When Cipot said he was finally able to talk to Lowery, he was told that the agents were asking for a 10 percent cut of any NIL earnings Lowery might make. (For comparison, NFL agents receive up to 3 percent commission on NFL deals.) He also said Lowery told him the agents were insistent that Wisconsin’s staff wasn’t telling the truth about its goals for Lowery to graduate or play, which Cipot adamantly disagreed with, as he was there on the official visit. He noted money was never a driving factor for Lowery.

“He was trying to tell me the agent was pulling a fast one on him and he fired him that night,” Cipot said. “I think they were looking for a bigger deal so they could get paid. That’s what I took out of it. Obviously, they weren’t in it for the interest of the kid because the kid wanted to go to Wisconsin. He was whole-heartedly all-in.”

“Leon never said like, ‘Well, what if these guys offer me more?’ He never had that conversation with us. That’s why when all this happened, it was like a gut punch. So now that it all comes out, it was all bulls—.”

A starting role was on his list of demands. Wisconsin said ok.

If anyone wants an inside look at how much player acquisition has changed, just take a read of that article.
Isn't paying for moving a car and arranging living arrangements (beoynd typical student housing)...some kind of pay for play too? That was included. Wisconsin must hate this story.

Isn't paying for moving a car and arranging living arrangements (beoynd typical student housing)...some kind of pay for play too? That was included. Wisconsin must hate this story.

Everyone knows it's happening everywhere. But yeah, I wouldn't want to be the first school to be made an example of.

They probably won't though. This is a system operating with no controls. No real ones anyway.

Everyone knows it's happening everywhere. But yeah, I wouldn't want to be the first school to be made an example of.

They probably won't though. This is a system operating with no controls. No real ones anyway.
Oh for sure. I just found it funny the official statement they gave. It does reinforce that the money stuff is always -- "well, ya gotta come and our NIL takes care of guys like you but we let them handle it after." And you can see why people get ranges and then end up getting less, especially from some of the sketchier collectives.

The Athletic article also states that Lowery had a list of "Demands" prior to signing with Wisconsin. This entire recruiting setup with NIL is an open invitation for bad actors , and will turn College athletics into a cesspool.
I can't be too upset about his "demands" since two of them were: finishing his undergrad degree and getting a masters degree.

I can't be too upset about his "demands" since two of them were: finishing his undergrad degree and getting a masters degree.
Agree, although I had to laugh when one of his demands was to move his car to Wisconsin -priceless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom