LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

What I wrote to the chancellor:

The first sentence I wrote was personal info tying me to the university.

While understanding that all the facts probably have not been made available, the situation with LeQuint Allen, on its surface, looks as if the university's student-led judicial review and appeals process is broken.

Based on the reporting done thus far, the punishment seems much too severe. The bad press the university has received all day today is shameful - especially when there has been no official response to the lawsuit from University Communications. As an alum and donor to SU, it saddens me to see the university treat any student with the punitive disregard this ruling has on its face. A student-athlete was not the aggressor but retaliated in a fight situation. While not the best way to respond to an attack, it is also typically the first way a young person would respond.

Why was restorative justice not offered? If the facts in the press are what happened, why would the university not seek a more equitable course of action? SU is, after all, a learning institution. Restorative justice at many universities and communities around the world works incredibly well. Instead - you separate the student from a support system, strip them of what makes them who they are (student and athlete in this case), and banish them from the very institution that would do far more for the student if they were allowed to stay on campus and work through the fight and why it happened.

Our justice system is one of punishment. Why are our best and brightest universities treating a fight the same way? We should be showing the world that there are other ways to change someone's behavior - instead, you are putting a student out on their own at a time in their life when they need the university's help the most. At best, it's shortsighted. At worst, it's doing actual damage to this person's future.

Please call on your judicial review board to create a better path forward for other students who find themselves in these situations. Punishment is not the only way to make a difference in someone's life. Education, reflection, and ownership should be the path forward for this student or any student who takes part in a fight.

Please work to make SU a more equitable place and one that can be proud of helping students through the mistakes they make instead of casting those students aside.

This is insane. Even the DA knows this is egregious
It's also important to understand that Fitzpatrick has done his best to brush off any issue Syracuse athletes have had with the law over the years. I'm not saying he's in the wrong here; just asking everyone to consider the source. Most people who know the inner workings of the city and the university will watch this clip and roll their eyes.

It's also important to understand that Fitzpatrick has done his best to brush off any issue Syracuse athletes have had with the law over the years. I'm not saying he's in the wrong here; just asking everyone to consider the source. Most people who know the inner workings of the city and the university will watch this clip and roll their eyes.
He’s also more unpopular than ever on both sides of the political spectrum and using this to score points to win another term.

He’s also more unpopular than ever on both sides of the political spectrum and using this to score points to win another term.

Maybe [not local anymore, so you could be correct].

Or maybe he's right given his knowledge of the situation.

I don’t know all the facts of this situation. But it sure does seem that the punishment is egregious given the infraction. If my kid got tossed from school for a year for throwing one punch I’d be absolutely livid.

Also, the silence from the school is a terrible look. Even if it’s a “we can’t comment at this time” they gotta say something.

Just a note here, DA is an elected position so if taking a positive view on Allen is a voter-favorable position then I would expect nothing less. Not saying he’s wrong, just pointing out his take isn’t surprising.
Then…we’ll done, DA?

Listen I’m very good friends with Fitzpatrick and his family. One thing about him, if there’s something wrong that happened, there is a zero percent chance he stands behind it. I can promise you that. He is a no nonsense guy and gets a lot of pleasure out of “proving points” when someone is in the wrong. This is simply a huge error by SU

Would hope as an administrator of Justice he would make decisions based on the law and not politics, but that’s also why this country is in the trash can right now
Well he already made his decision, this is his personal opinion on a local university matter

Maybe [not local anymore, so you could be correct].

Or maybe he's right given his knowledge of the situation.
I don’t think he’s wrong, but it’s worth noting his current lack of popularity.

Because we may not be getting the whole story. LeQuint's version could have some half-truths (i.e., self-preservation). Maybe LeQuint didn't throw the first punch, but he still could hypothetically been the first aggressor (e.g., grabbing the guy or pushing him before the guy throws the first punches). In fairness, it would be good to know the other guy's side of the story as well especially seeing it was LeQuint who was charged and presumably not the other guy.

The other guy didn't even show up for the hearing.

What I wrote to the chancellor:

The first sentence I wrote was personal info tying me to the university.

While understanding that all the facts probably have not been made available, the situation with LeQuint Allen, on its surface, looks as if the university's student-led judicial review and appeals process is broken.

Based on the reporting done thus far, the punishment seems much too severe. The bad press the university has received all day today is shameful - especially when there has been no official response to the lawsuit from University Communications. As an alum and donor to SU, it saddens me to see the university treat any student with the punitive disregard this ruling has on its face. A student-athlete was not the aggressor but retaliated in a fight situation. While not the best way to respond to an attack, it is also typically the first way a young person would respond.

Why was restorative justice not offered? If the facts in the press are what happened, why would the university not seek a more equitable course of action? SU is, after all, a learning institution. Restorative justice at many universities and communities around the world works incredibly well. Instead - you separate the student from a support system, strip them of what makes them who they are (student and athlete in this case), and banish them from the very institution that would do far more for the student if they were allowed to stay on campus and work through the fight and why it happened.

Our justice system is one of punishment. Why are our best and brightest universities treating a fight the same way? We should be showing the world that there are other ways to change someone's behavior - instead, you are putting a student out on their own at a time in their life when they need the university's help the most. At best, it's shortsighted. At worst, it's doing actual damage to this person's future.

Please call on your judicial review board to create a better path forward for other students who find themselves in these situations. Punishment is not the only way to make a difference in someone's life. Education, reflection, and ownership should be the path forward for this student or any student who takes part in a fight.

Please work to make SU a more equitable place and one that can be proud of helping students through the mistakes they make instead of casting those students aside.
You acknowledge you probably do not have all the facts to date, yet you have enough information to pen all this to the Chancellor? This story literally broke last night and it hasn't even been 24 hours. The information thus far is based on one student's standpoint c/o of a lawsuit that is yet to be publicly available. Would you be doing this for the 3rd string RB? I'd at least be curious to hear the other student's version of events before I go to bat for either side. Maybe results from a FOIL request would shed some light on this.

You acknowledge you probably do not have all the facts to date, yet you have enough information to pen all this to the Chancellor? This story literally broke last night and it hasn't even been 24 hours. The information thus far is based on one student's standpoint c/o of a lawsuit that is yet to be publicly available. Would you be doing this for the 3rd string RB? I'd at least be curious to hear the other student's version of events before I go to bat for either side. Maybe results from a FOIL request would shed some light on this.
I will let you know

I'm a former prosecutor; I'm surprised at a statement this--we'll say "clear"--regardless of the facts. Really, I'm pretty surprised he said anything other than, "What happened between the Defendant--Mr. Allen--and the University is between those parties and out of this Office's hands. We handled our portion of the case and came to a fair and just resolution." This case sounds like it was some BS.

Last edited:
Jeez, anyone else think he should get to punch the kid again?
Maybe that's the problem. Perhaps Le Quint's response was way more than one punch. Maybe L Allen beat the hell out of him. We don't know because of the lack of information available to us.

I tried getting information from the Syracuse Police Department online. There is a FOIL Act (Freedom of Information Law) the gives access to the public reports about everything the police do.

I went to the site and there are 566 pages to go through. But, for .25 cents a page you are able to get a paper copy.

The web site I was led to is below through the police access. I do not have the time to go through 566 pages and feel that is this case information is being reserved for those very close to and involved with this case. The sooner this gets resolved the better or Mr. Allen could be railroaded into something he does not want to be involved in. This is a shame but it happened and I do not now have a good feeling about this. Everyone has to deal with the lack of transparency, etc.

I hope it is resolved in Le Quint's favor very soon. If you want to access the department:
City of Syracuse.>Departments>Police

Listen I’m very good friends with Fitzpatrick and his family. One thing about him, if there’s something wrong that happened, there is a zero percent chance he stands behind it. I can promise you that. He is a no nonsense guy and gets a lot of pleasure out of “proving points” when someone is in the wrong. This is simply a huge error by SU

I know he's good friends with Jim Boeheim. They share a laudable trait: they don't suffer fools or foolishness..

I was actually thinking about that. I was planning to make my SU athletics donation by the end of the month deadline for 2022-23 - nothing huge by any means. I hate to hurt the program even more, but it does make it hard to be motivated.
Don’t get withholding Athletics donations. General University donations absolutely, but rest assured the Athletics Department is livid over this. And donations to athletics support the kids.

Care to wager a guess as to why spouses of full time employees are backing the kid? And why another individual chose to play him in not just a bowl game but all throughout spring practice? There’s more to the story but you can infer a lot by actions (or lackthereof) of individuals (Dino Babers) who have been on the opposite side when things have transpired within the program that have been acts worthy of punishment.
Perhaps pressure from parents after medical bill/expenses. He apparently lost a tooth so figure dental costs associated with partial or transplant.
That is, without insurance, $8-10K. Not insignificant, however the complaintant is not without fault. Smells of entitlement.

Last edited:
Care to wager a guess as to why parents of full time employees are backing the kid? And why another chose to play him in not just a bowl game but all throughout spring practice? There’s more to the story but you can infer a lot by actions (or lackthereof) of individuals (Dino Babers) who have been on the opposite side when things have transpired within the program that have been acts worthy of punishment.

That is, without insurance, $8-10K. Not insignificant, however the complaintant is not without fault. Smells of entitlement.
Win stupid prizes when you play stupid games (if he did mess him up defending himself)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom