LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

Maybe that's the problem. Perhaps Le Quint's response was way more than one punch. Maybe L Allen beat the hell out of him. We don't know because of the lack of information available to us.

I tried getting information from the Syracuse Police Department online. There is a FOIL Act (Freedom of Information Law) the gives access to the public reports about everything the police do.

I went to the site and there are 566 pages to go through. But, for .25 cents a page you are able to get a paper copy.

The web site I was led to is below through the police access. I do not have the time to go through 566 pages and feel that is this case information is being reserved for those very close to and involved with this case. The sooner this gets resolved the better or Mr. Allen could be railroaded into something he does not want to be involved in. This is a shame but it happened and I do not now have a good feeling about this. Everyone has to deal with the lack of transparency, etc.

I hope it is resolved in Le Quint's favor very soon. If you want to access the department:
City of Syracuse.>Departments>Police

No, thank you. I do understand that we don’t know all the details yet. I typically just joke around. But, barring anything truly extreme, a first time offense doesn’t merit this type of punishment.

What I wrote to the chancellor:

The first sentence I wrote was personal info tying me to the university.

While understanding that all the facts probably have not been made available, the situation with LeQuint Allen, on its surface, looks as if the university's student-led judicial review and appeals process is broken.

Based on the reporting done thus far, the punishment seems much too severe. The bad press the university has received all day today is shameful - especially when there has been no official response to the lawsuit from University Communications. As an alum and donor to SU, it saddens me to see the university treat any student with the punitive disregard this ruling has on its face. A student-athlete was not the aggressor but retaliated in a fight situation. While not the best way to respond to an attack, it is also typically the first way a young person would respond.

Why was restorative justice not offered? If the facts in the press are what happened, why would the university not seek a more equitable course of action? SU is, after all, a learning institution. Restorative justice at many universities and communities around the world works incredibly well. Instead - you separate the student from a support system, strip them of what makes them who they are (student and athlete in this case), and banish them from the very institution that would do far more for the student if they were allowed to stay on campus and work through the fight and why it happened.

Our justice system is one of punishment. Why are our best and brightest universities treating a fight the same way? We should be showing the world that there are other ways to change someone's behavior - instead, you are putting a student out on their own at a time in their life when they need the university's help the most. At best, it's shortsighted. At worst, it's doing actual damage to this person's future.

Please call on your judicial review board to create a better path forward for other students who find themselves in these situations. Punishment is not the only way to make a difference in someone's life. Education, reflection, and ownership should be the path forward for this student or any student who takes part in a fight.

Please work to make SU a more equitable place and one that can be proud of helping students through the mistakes they make instead of casting those students aside.
Thanks for sharing this. Well said.

The average Joe will see Fitzpatricks statement and will look at it as it's the school who is wrong. They will think to themselves if the DA is surprised at the severity, then the school is in the wrong

Devi, DC and many, many others would have had their SU careers ruined
This is what happens with private schools... contracts, litigation, internal lawsuits... they live behind marble gates and just pushout whatever narrative they want to make a story go away they couldn't keep quiet... the power of just a small handful of wealthy individuals running these schools will do whatever they can to keep that power.

Devi, DC and many, many others would have had their SU careers ruined
I’m kind of struck by the irony. When I was an SU student back in the 17th century, I had a football player tell me on a few occasions “I’d have to kill someone to get arrested. The Athletic Dept has friends downtown.”

He wasn’t bragging or being smug. He was just making an observation.

I guess things have done a 180.

I’m kind of struck by the irony. When I was an SU student back in the 17th century, I had a football player tell me on a few occasions “I’d have to kill someone to get arrested. The Athletic Dept has friends downtown.”

At Alabama, you can even kill people and still play

Curious, did Syverud already sign off on the Judicial Board's decision? Anyone know?

I don't see him walking that back.

I don’t care if we're talking chilling effect. These student disciplinary boards should be open to the public; every single person responsible for this decision should be known.
That’s a terrible idea. However, I do wonder why students are passing judgement on students in this day and age? Especially in a situation where an event has legal implications.

I certainly didn’t send my kid to college to have other students potentially kick her off campus.

Cops also used to just tell drunk drivers to head home more slowly; or even took them home.

Curious, did Syverud already sign off on the Judicial Board's decision? Anyone know?

I don't see him walking that back.

I don't think a judicial board decision or an appeal is getting run by him or anywhere close to someone that far up the ladder. That's why the pressure has to be on his office, once the heat becomes to much he will step in and something will get done.

Cops also used to just tell drunk drivers to head home more slowly; or even took them home.
I can attest. Few weeks after high school graduation I was pulled over on East Genesee St coming back from a house out at Buck Point Owasco Lake.

Id been drinking that evening, and the cop knew it. I lived about three blocks away from where I was pulled over.

He told me to go straight home and he would follow me.

I don't think a judicial board decision or an appeal is getting run by him or anywhere close to someone that far up the ladder. That's why the pressure has to be on his office, once the heat becomes to much he will step in and something will get done.
Completely separate from his office. Built to be independent

Care to wager a guess as to why parents of full time employees are backing the kid? And why another chose to play him in not just a bowl game but all throughout spring practice? There’s more to the story but you can infer a lot by actions (or lackthereof) of individuals (Dino Babers) who have been on the opposite side when things have transpired within the program that have been acts worthy of punishment.

That is, without insurance, $8-10K. Not insignificant, however the complaintant is not without fault. Smells of entitlement.
I'm not sure who you are referencing by "parents of full time employees". Just by following this thread, I have only seen tweets from the OC's wife and Gadsen's mom.

I don't know when Babers would have been aware, but if there was a University hearing in February then yes, he should've been at least before spring practice. Point taken. I believe this incident took place December 11, but I do not know if it has been stated when it was brought to the University's attention and subsequently the Syracuse Police/Onondaga County DA. December 11 is late in the semester or even during finals week so I wonder if DPS was called right away or did the other student wait until they were at home during Christmas break or even upon return to campus in January for the Spring semester? There are so many unknowns at this point that I'm willing to be patient.

Yeah I thought the Dean of Students made her decision and that was it. Until the poop has hit the fan now

Don’t get withholding Athletics donations. General University donations absolutely, but rest assured the Athletics Department is livid over this. And donations to athletics support the kids.
then put your badge on the table for an obvious injustice.

I don’t care if the person is an athlete, male, female, white, black, ……….

a two semester suspension for what happened based on what we know is just wrong. If they don’t support their player who will?

Justice isn’t just about the victim it’s also about the rights of the accused and that they are treated fairly and punishment is reasonable if guilty. Codes of conduct are contracts of adhesion that schools can use to met out harsh and punitive outcomes at the seeming whim of the person with the authority to do so.

The kid has been effectively exiled to Siberia for a one punch fight.

this is not the sign of a well run institution. Schools are supposed to look out for the interests of all students, including kids that breach the code of conduct. If Allen was a threat to the campus community, dismiss him entirely. If not, kicking him out for an extended period is excessive.

Yeah I thought the Dean of Students made her decision and that was it. Until the poop has hit the fan now

I believe this is accurate, now only a direction from the top can overturn or modify the current punishment. Of course it won't officially be noted that someone form up top directed something to be done but you get the point.

That’s a terrible idea. However, I do wonder why students are passing judgement on students in this day and age? Especially in a situation where an event has legal implications.

I certainly didn’t send my kid to college to have other students potentially kick her off campus.
Why is transparency ever a bad idea In a setting like this? Especially when a ridiculous verdict rendered in the shadows can potentially affects a kids entire life, education and ability to make a living — especially when a school aged college kid wields any power on this board with no life experience.

Last edited:
It seems that the person who brought the action purposefully waited to start the action so that the 2 semester suspension would start for the summer and then force him to miss the season.

Again as someone who had to go up against a student advisory board for a very similar incident the whole thing was nothing but a sham. They knew I was an athlete and I knew as soon as I stepped in the room and looked at them that was screwed. What gets me is the dean of studenies gets off on this crap too. Who signs up to be a disciplinarian and then expect fair judgement.

Assuming by the responses of coaches wives that there is nothing else to the story. That's even more frustrating since it already seems like SU outside of the athletic department gives 2 $ about athletics.

Drastic times means drastic measures. If I was a teammate of Leauint I would really around him and threaten not to play because of the way the university is handling this. I would also be very public about it granting interviews to anybody interested and make a point to blame the University and not the AD. This is the only way to get through to people like that. If they dont budge and threaten your scholarship then transfer. A public embarrassment of this student judicial body, dean of student, and chancellor should be an option. I know if it was a teammate of mine getting unjustly punished I would do whatever is necessary to make it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom