LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

The student judicial board should have been shut down years ago.
Students have no business passing judgements on other students.

animal-house-5.jpg

I’d follow Ms. Jaime to the gates of hell if she asked me to politely

waitaminu... say, uh, anybody think she might, uh, be looking for a, uh, job?

Because I've got a ton of appointments coming up and could really use some help.

I’m kind of struck by the irony. When I was an SU student back in the 17th century, I had a football player tell me on a few occasions “I’d have to kill someone to get arrested. The Athletic Dept has friends downtown.”

He wasn’t bragging or being smug. He was just making an observation.

I guess things have done a 180.
This contains some stories about the old, old days:

It’s pretty clear, he’s registered as a student, he was disciplined by the board that handles the student code of conduct…

He is def a student. You can be a student and an employee. Think harder.

I'm not sure who you are referencing by "parents of full time employees". Just by following this thread, I have only seen tweets from the OC's wife and Gadsen's mom.

I don't know when Babers would have been aware, but if there was a University hearing in February then yes, he should've been at least before spring practice. Point taken. I believe this incident took place December 11, but I do not know if it has been stated when it was brought to the University's attention and subsequently the Syracuse Police/Onondaga County DA. December 11 is late in the semester or even during finals week so I wonder if DPS was called right away or did the other student wait until they were at home during Christmas break or even upon return to campus in January for the Spring semester? There are so many unknowns at this point that I'm willing to be patient.
In my haste I wrote parents instead of spouses. My fault.

The point remains that the situation was viewed such that no punishment was handed down to Allen after the AD & coaches heard about this.

Yet, the University handed out a punishment of not one semester suspension but two semesters, summer included. You really don’t think that’s too harsh?

In response to your timeline, Babers knew about it. He had to have. If he didn’t know about it the night of, he knew about it the next day. Let’s not be naive. And if he didn’t find out about it until the February timeline, then don’t you think he would have taken a harsher stance for Allen not being forthcoming about it? Which is why you should infer that all parties were aware of this in a timely fashion. And no punishment (that we are aware of publicly) was handed out.

You’re asking a lot of questions about one side but I have a lot more about the other, too… why did the complaintant fail to show up to the hearing? What was the punishment handed out from the University to the apparent instigator/complaintant? This person was involved in several other altercations throughout the evening in question - was that taken into consideration? If not, that is a very bad approach to take a singular punch in a vacuum and hand out a severe penalty for that one singular act without taking into account every single factor.

He is def a student. You can be a student and an employee. Think harder.

He receives no compensation from the university for his services. He receives tuition and cost of living benefits that he pays no taxes on. There are previously settled cases that student athletes are not university employees and therefore are not offered the same protections as employees. Sure, that continues to be challenged in courts, but as it stands, he’s not an employee, and like I said before, no court would consider him one.

That’s a terrible idea. However, I do wonder why students are passing judgement on students in this day and age? Especially in a situation where an event has legal implications.

I certainly didn’t send my kid to college to have other students potentially kick her off campus.

Yeah, why are the inmates running the asylum instead of the adults?

It’s so dumb.

This entire situation is idiotic. So according to the SU admin, you shouldn’t go to help defend your friends and if you do then you shouldn’t defend yourself if assaulted.

I’d LOVE to meet the people that handed out this punishment. But I’d probably have to drag them out from under their rocks first. School Judicial boards never cease to disappoint.

In my haste I wrote parents instead of spouses. My fault.

The point remains that the situation was viewed such that no punishment was handed down to Allen after the AD & coaches heard about this.

Yet, the University handed out a punishment of not one semester suspension but two semesters, summer included. You really don’t think that’s too harsh?

In response to your timeline, Babers knew about it. He had to have. If he didn’t know about it the night of, he knew about it the next day. Let’s not be naive. And if he didn’t find out about it until the February timeline, then don’t you think he would have taken a harsher stance for Allen not being forthcoming about it? Which is why you should infer that all parties were aware of this in a timely fashion. And no punishment (that we are aware of publicly) was handed out.

You’re asking a lot of questions about one side but I have a lot more about the other, too… why did the complaintant fail to show up to the hearing? What was the punishment handed out from the University to the apparent instigator/complaintant? This person was involved in several other altercations throughout the evening in question - was that taken into consideration? If not, that is a very bad approach to take a singular punch in a vacuum and hand out a severe penalty for that one singular act without taking into account every single factor.
There was already a lot of coaching turnover in the off-season. A freshman running back who was Gatorade's New Jersey Player of the Year, and slated to start as a sophomore. LeQuint's father passed away on Valentine's Day. His high school coach at that time was on Rutgers' staff. Babers may have been more worried about LeQuint hitting the transfer portal if he publicly punished him immediately (e.g., Spring ball suspension). LeQuint could have been Baber's exception rather than the rule.

I have many of those same questions about the other student. I cannot answer them, but would love to hear their version of events because that could provide some rationale for the punishment from the University or lack thereof including any criminal charges from the DA if such was the case. For example, if LeQuint faced a minor charge from the DA while the other student did not, then I wonder if LeQuint's claims of self-defense in university proceedings are dubious.

The more i think on this... If the school doesn't have a good response crafted already after it's been multiple months since it happened it's pretty clear they thought it would never get escalated and they don't have a good response to all the blow back to substantiate the decision. A

There was already a lot of coaching turnover in the off-season. A freshman running back who was Gatorade's New Jersey Player of the Year, and slated to start as a sophomore. LeQuint's father passed away on Valentine's Day. His high school coach at that time was on Rutgers' staff. Babers may have been more worried about LeQuint hitting the transfer portal if he publicly punished him immediately (e.g., Spring ball suspension). LeQuint could have been Baber's exception rather than the rule.

I have many of those same questions about the other student. I cannot answer them, but would love to hear their version of events because that could provide some rationale for the punishment from the University or lack thereof including any criminal charges from the DA if such was the case. For example, if LeQuint faced a minor charge from the DA while the other student did not, then I wonder if LeQuint's claims of self-defense in university proceedings are dubious.
That is a weird angle you have. So be it. I don't agree with much of what you're saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom