LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

How do you figure that?

th

Someone said this pages ago but perhaps letting this play out in court is the easiest way for SU to reinstate him while not admitting their judicial process is flawed and opening themselves up to additional lawsuits from other students who were given similar punishments for similar actions.

Someone said this pages ago but perhaps letting this play out in court is the easiest way for SU to reinstate him while not admitting their judicial process is flawed and opening themselves up to additional lawsuits from other students who were given similar punishments for similar actions.
I think losing in court ABSOLUTELY opens itself up to additional lawsuits. Precedent will have been set and the lack of teeth that the system has will be on full display.

I think losing in court ABSOLUTELY opens itself up to additional lawsuits. Precedent will have been set and the lack of teeth that the system has will be on full display.
But so does breaking precedent and treating students differently.

The left is known for being tough on crime? Lol
Are you a student of history?

Who said, “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime”?

It wasn’t a Madisonian Federalist

Being “tough on crime” doesn’t mean being unjust. And that’s in the context of a criminal justice system at least predicated on due process.

But so does breaking precedent and treating students differently.
I suspect the University if it reverses the decision will establish and publicize a very narrow list of qualifiers that allowed for the reversal to happen. Point here is, there is no good option. I think taking the initiative gives the University a lot more power than letting the courts decide.

You don’t lose on the merits if you don’t respond. Just default.

What additional lawsuits? There’s a four month window , that’s it. Nobody who had a case in the past can use whatever outcome to reopen their matter.

The only thing Allen might prevail on is that the Judge finds the punishment is unreasonably severe and can be deemed arbitrary and capricious. He’s not going to win on procedural claims.

You don’t lose on the merits if you don’t respond. Just default.

What additional lawsuits? There’s a four month window , that’s it. Nobody who had a case in the past can use whatever outcome to reopen their matter.

The only thing Allen might prevail on is that the Judge finds the punishment is unreasonably severe and can be deemed arbitrary and capricious. He’s not going to win on procedural claims.

seinfeld-kramer.gif

If i was a student this is what my take from the situation would be. I assume sitting in front of this whole judicial board and being judged is to teach you a lesson. When they go so far above teaching a lesson it cancels out what the hearing is for in the first place. So instead of being taught a lesson you create anger and it shows that anyone who has the misfortune of going in front of the judicial board should deny everything, don’t admit a thing, and lie to save yourself from having to deal with a few people who probably never had power in their lives and now will happily apply it. I’ve said a couple times in this thread i had a very similar circumstance in college and i know for a fact these type of people get off on this stuff.

I think Lequint is at the point where he has to do anything to make sure these people are done messing with his life. Reach out to the local NAACP. I’m sure they would be interested in a case of a respectable young man getting railroaded when he was just defending himself.

Also, as a team i would write a letter to the chancellor acting as character witnesses of LA. Is Kenny going to ignore 100+ character references from the people that really know him? I would also write in the letter that they will refuse to play if this injustice stands. A teammate has to have their brothers back. This is more than football at this point. something drastic needs to be done asap.

The root cause of the injustice here, and the public outcry, appears to be a disciplinary rule that excluded evidence of the other person's conduct. Because of that rule, the alleged "victim" wasn't present at the hearing. Proof of his serious injury (needed for Assault 3d) was scant. And testimony about his initial assault (that LQA was responding to) appears to have been minimal. True, student disciplinary hearings aren't supposed to be supreme court cases. But the procedures followed here invited an unjust outcome.

At this point, SU is facing a crisis largely of its own making. Its disciplinary process has been exposed as arbitrary and punitive. Internal boards ignored the accused's truthfulness and contrition, deprived him of the opportunity to argue self-defense, meted out a disproportionate penalty and then refused to adjust the sentence on appeal. Ironically, even as the university justifiably takes it in the teeth in the media (;)), the lawsuit may be its best option to stop the bleeding (!). An outside forum gives it enough "cover" to work out a reduced disposition without looking like it's coddling a star athlete.
This.

Is it far fetched to think that the University will consent to a reduction through the Article 78 proceeding either on the record or in closed chambers? Thr only legal way to reduce the suspension is through the Article 78 proceeding currently. The administrative appeals process has been exhausted so that decision is final. There is no current mechanism for the University to step in and change it now.

The easiest way is to put up a half-hearted defense or agree behind closed doors with the Judge making the change. He gets reinstated, the rule of law prevails, Syracuse announces an overhaul of its system. Everybody is happy.

Under this scenario it makes a lot of sense why Allen's attorney and Syracuse administration are keeping real quiet.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Syracuse punts on the Article 78 proceeding and may have already agreed to the same.

If i was a student this is what my take from the situation would be. I assume sitting in front of this whole judicial board and being judged is to teach you a lesson. When they go so far above teaching a lesson it cancels out what the hearing is for in the first place. So instead of being taught a lesson you create anger and it shows that anyone who has the misfortune of going in front of the judicial board should deny everything, don’t admit a thing, and lie to save yourself from having to deal with a few people who probably never had power in their lives and now will happily apply it. I’ve said a couple times in this thread i had a very similar circumstance in college and i know for a fact these type of people get off on this stuff.

I think Lequint is at the point where he has to do anything to make sure these people are done messing with his life. Reach out to the local NAACP. I’m sure they would be interested in a case of a respectable young man getting railroaded when he was just defending himself.

Also, as a team i would write a letter to the chancellor acting as character witnesses of LA. Is Kenny going to ignore 100+ character references from the people that really know him? I would also write in the letter that they will refuse to play if this injustice stands. A teammate has to have their brothers back. This is more than football at this point. something drastic needs to be done asap.
Yes I posted the same thing earlier today. Fix this or the team walks. Let’s see our greedy admin walk away from millions and millions of football dollars that would be forfeited

This.

Is it far fetched to think that the University will consent to a reduction through the Article 78 proceeding either on the record or in closed chambers? Thr only legal way to reduce the suspension is through the Article 78 proceeding currently. The administrative appeals process has been exhausted so that decision is final. There is no current mechanism for the University to step in and change it now.

The easiest way is to put up a half-hearted defense or agree behind closed doors with the Judge making the change. He gets reinstated, the rule of law prevails, Syracuse announces an overhaul of its system. Everybody is happy.

Under this scenario it makes a lot of sense why Allen's attorney and Syracuse administration are keeping real quiet.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Syracuse punts on the Article 78 proceeding and may have already agreed to the same.
Been saying that from the beginning, don’t respond, don’t appear.

Been saying that from the beginning, don’t respond, don’t appear.
There are going to be a lot of article 78 cases in the future for Syracuse. Every single kid with wealthy parents who gets in trouble is gonna file a lawsuit.

Since I was not present for this events I will not wax eloquent. However, is it reasonable to execute the extreme punishment that SU did which could result in an evidently nice young student athlete, losing his opportunity for a college degree and a chance to play
in the NFL. This in the face of evidently varied first person reports.
If your job is to ruin a life, you may have succeeded.
Every day we hear and see stories of drug pushers getting off almost without punishment and their end products are multiple deaths! Please rethink this.
Greg Jones “66”

There are going to be a lot of article 78 cases in the future for Syracuse. Every single kid with wealthy parents who gets in trouble is gonna file a lawsuit.
That’s always been an option.

Sorry, but bullshtt. Fraternities stopped being "public service" and brotherhood organizations about 40 years ago, when the drinking age was raised from 18 to 21. Now, they are just places for bros to get wasted and have forced sex with drunk girls, and picking fights with people.
All due respect but this perspective is myopic, biased, and ignorant. Without providing a clear frame of reference, you're nevertheless tossing a blanket over an entire institutional structure, one that's survived over hundreds of years.
For example, did you know that fraternities and sororities are present in both undergrad and graduate varieties? There are different "types" of Greek orgs in academics, the arts, sciences, you name it.
The Animal House antics in undergrad chapters is not the norm, and certainly not present in most grad chapters
I know several members of Black fraternities in particular, and they take their memberships extremely seriously. My brother-in-law is in the same fraternity that claims MLK as a member, the Alphas.
Painting such a broad and negative brush over the entire Greek-life structure is simply unfair

Last edited:
Go to 10:30:

"As a young African American I was not told to call the police in these situations."

Alcohol in a dorm room at 7 PM on a Saturday?

Shocked1.jpg
Reminds me of a friend from Syracuse who attended college in Michigan when the the drinking age in NYS was 18 and 21 in Michigan. He had 3 cans of Utica Club tossed among all the stuff in the trunk of his car.
He got a flat tire and had his trunk open getting put the spare and Jack when a campus cop stopped by and happened to see the cans of beer and wrote him up for underage drinking. He got suspended. Never mind they didn’t sell UC in Michigan

some relevant light reading
It is an interesting read. Being a private institution LA has very limited rights. Provided the procedures are followed it provides very little arguments for success. There is one section that seemed it might be successful.
“contrary to petitioners' contention, we conclude that the sanctions imposed on each of them are not "so disproportionate to the offense, in the light of all the circumstances, as to be shocking to one's sense of fairness" (Matter of Pell v Board of Educ. of Union Free School Dist. No. 1 of Towns of Scarsdale & Mamaroneck, Westchester County, 34 NY2d 222, 233 [1974] [internal quotation marks omitted]; see Powers, 25 NY3d at 218; Lampert, 116 AD3d at 1294).”
It seems like LA could argue based on all the circumstances that is “shocking to one’s of fairness.” Being suspended for two semesters for throwing one punch in self defense shocks one’s sense of fairness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom