LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

All due respect but this perspective is myopic, biased, and ignorant. You're tossing a blanket over an entire institutional structure that's survived over hundreds of years, without having a clear frame of reference.
For example, did you know that fraternities and sororities are present in both undergrad and graduate varieties? There are different "types" of Greek orgs in academics, the arts, sciences, you name it
The Animal House antics in undergrad chapters is not present for most grad chapters
I know several members of Black fraternities in particular, and they take their memberships extremely seriously. My brother-in-law is in the same fraternity that claims MLK as a member, the Alphas.
Painting such a broad and negative brush over the entire Greek life structure is simply unfair
I def partaked in all those neanderthal frat activities at Syracuse. Not gonna apologize for it either. I also stayed closer to those mouth breathers for 25 plus years now. Most of the undergrad frat stuff is juvenile. So what?

Us cavemen go to games, stay engaged w the school and are good reps of the great SU experience.

Haven’t read but 3 pages of this thread. Can he just enter the portal and get away from this stuff? If he hasn’t does it mean he’s gonna be fine?

Been saying that from the beginning, don’t respond, don’t appear.
The only nuance being they don't literally default, they just don't vigorously defend against the relief requested or cut a deal in chambers. This provides them with some cover that a default wouldn't provide.

It is an interesting read. Being a private institution LA has very limited rights. Provided the procedures are followed it provides very little arguments for success. There is one section that seemed it might be successful.
“contrary to petitioners' contention, we conclude that the sanctions imposed on each of them are not "so disproportionate to the offense, in the light of all the circumstances, as to be shocking to one's sense of fairness" (Matter of Pell v Board of Educ. of Union Free School Dist. No. 1 of Towns of Scarsdale & Mamaroneck, Westchester County, 34 NY2d 222, 233 [1974] [internal quotation marks omitted]; see Powers, 25 NY3d at 218; Lampert, 116 AD3d at 1294).”
It seems like LA could argue based on all the circumstances that is “shocking to one’s of fairness.” Being suspended for two semesters for throwing one punch in self defense shocks one’s sense of fairness.

I think that there may be a procedural opening here. He was told that HE needed to contact the accused victim prior to the hearing. He was then told during the appeal that this was actually NOT on him to do. It was an acknowledged error.

I think that there may be a procedural opening here. He was told that HE needed to contact the accused victim prior to the hearing. He was then told during the appeal that this was actually NOT on him to do. It was an acknowledged error.
Could be an argument on procedural grounds. Was not aware of the inconsistency between the two hearings. However with such limited rights it seems failing to specifically follow all procedures results in an automatic reversal of the decision.

I keep hearing that the Chancellor, who is supposedly the most powerful person on campus, has no "authority" to overrule this decision.

Is that really possible? Or is that just being inferred based on custom?

Is it really possible that the University charter has it in writing somewhere that a student body has the ability to be the end-all, be-all on disciplinary decisions? Or that someone the Chancellor hires actually out ranks him on decisions such as this?

I keep hearing that the Chancellor, who is supposedly the most powerful person on campus, has no "authority" to overrule this decision.

Is that really possible? Or is that just being inferred based on custom?

Is it really possible that the University charter has it in writing somewhere that a student body has the ability to be the end-all, be-all on disciplinary decisions? Or that someone the Chancellor hires actually out ranks him on decisions such as this?
That’s bull, there is always a supreme authority and it is not the dean who oversees the code of conduct. At the end of the day Kent certainly could overturn it, and if not him the board of trustees likely could as well.

That’s bull, there is always a supreme authority and it is not the dean who oversees the code of conduct. At the end of the day Kent certainly could overturn it, and if not him the board of trustees likely could as well.
That's my understanding as well, but there are some here who are adamant the Chancellor has "no ability" to do anything. I understand it may not be "customary" but that doesn't mean impossible, right?

We simply cannot get out of our own way. That’s all I keep coming to. WTaF is also what I keep saying. Hey university, you happy with how your faculty and unelected students have handled this? You happy with all the negative press? Stand up for what is right and have a backbone. This should have been solved when word of Lequint suing was a thing. The university should have stopped everything they were doing and tried to come to fair conclusion and override this unfair court. We keep hearing “this is different because Syracuse is private and can discipline however they want” well guess what that goes BOTH ways. They could’ve stopped this and they were soft and scared and pander to this BS system.

That's my understanding as well, but there are some here who are adamant the Chancellor has "no ability" to do anything. I understand it may not be "customary" but that doesn't mean impossible, right?
You're confusing things. The chancellor has nothing to do with the decision. At this point I think he's muzzled because of lawyers.

The process that punished Allen has been in place going back to at least Buzz Shaw.

I have another concern here. I am worried that the longer this goes, the more likely a high profile attorney gets involved, and it starts to abut against much larger social justice issues. I'm not making a value judgement on that. But I dont want to see that because I dont want it to create division amongst the fan base. I really just want the University to fix this before that happens.

You're confusing things. The chancellor has nothing to do with the decision. At this point I think he's muzzled because of lawyers.

The process that punished Allen has been in place going back to at least Buzz Shaw.

So you are saying that the Chancellor doesn't have the ability to reinstate Allen to the University right now? Today?

Which has nothing to do with the case aside from it leading to a likely dismissal?

I have another concern here. I am worried that the longer this goes, the more likely a high profile attorney gets involved, and it starts to abut against much larger social justice issues. I'm not making a value judgement on that. But I dont want to see that because I dont want it to create division amongst the fan base. I really just want the University to fix this before that happens.
You're reaching.

Students of all colors, shapes and sizes have been treated unfairly by this process.

There's also students who have got away with everything short of murder.

So you are saying that the Chancellor doesn't have the ability to reinstate Allen to the University right now? Today?

Which has nothing to do with the case aside from it leading to a likely dismissal?
In what business does anyone comment or automatically react to pending legal cases? If he gets his suspension shortened it is going to happen behind the scenes. The chancellor will end up saying nothing.

You're reaching.

Students of all colors, shapes and sizes have been treated unfairly by this process.

There's also students who have got away with everything short of murder.
If one person is reaching, it’s likely another could as well. That person could be a civil rights attorney. Even if something racial is not at the crux of this problem, that doesn’t mean it is out of the question for someone to want to investigate it which would lead to some horrible PR.

In what business does anyone comment or automatically react to pending legal cases? If he gets his suspension shortened it is going to happen behind the scenes. The chancellor will end up saying nothing.

I'm not expecting a public statement or comment.

Allen files a court case.

Syracuse realizes it is taking body blow after body blow and that the right thing for all is to get beyond this.

Both sides meet and come to a negotiated settlement. Case is withdrawn as a result of an agreed settlement.

I'm not talking about a public statement, but settlements that lead to cases being withdrawn happen all the time in advance of a hearing.

EDIT- I think we are actually sort of saying the same thing in different ways...

IMG_4103.jpeg

Tend to agree with this and if his sentence is reduced this is exactly what will happen. I see little chance this makes it to trial

Syverud and Wildhack will have no comment on any of this - SU will either ride out this initial reaction until the ire dies down (most likely due to another University head scratching thing) and do nothing (that is my guess), or change the punishment and tell nobody, and dot com will find out when LQA is at Fall practice

To be clear I am aware that there is not going to be any statement at all by the University. My hope is they work with LeQuint's camp behind the scenes and find a rational and fair settlement that allows for the case to be dropped (after which THEN I would expect to hear something).

To be clear I am aware that there is not going to be any statement at all by the University. My hope is they work with LeQuint's camp behind the scenes and find a rational and fair settlement that allows for the case to be dropped (after which THEN I would expect to hear something).

They won't just drop it without saying they've done a full review of their policies and have implemented changes.

They can weather the storm now, if that's what they're working on, to be completed and announced before preseason camp begins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom