LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

While the portal is closed

There are special circumstances that you can enter the portal at any point

I believe that Lequints case would meet the requirements to enter the portal currently

I'm not sure that the NCAA would make an exception for a kid transferring due to a disciplinary matter (despite the consensus that the punishment doesn't fit the crime).

Petitions won't move the needle on this. The highlights by the local media are doing more for Allen in showcasing how bad the system is. The DA also commented on it as have former players including those in the NFL. I don't know what Babers is doing behind the scenes, but it would behoove him to grease the wheels on this. For it to reach a critical mass, you're going to need a Thamel or Forde to pick this up. Similar to Coach Hillsman being fired only after The Athletic picked it up, SU does not like negative national attention.
Speaking of the local media, Emily got the deets pretty darn fast. Wonder if there was a heads up from LA's team.

This.

Is it far fetched to think that the University will consent to a reduction through the Article 78 proceeding either on the record or in closed chambers? Thr only legal way to reduce the suspension is through the Article 78 proceeding currently. The administrative appeals process has been exhausted so that decision is final. There is no current mechanism for the University to step in and change it now.

The easiest way is to put up a half-hearted defense or agree behind closed doors with the Judge making the change. He gets reinstated, the rule of law prevails, Syracuse announces an overhaul of its system. Everybody is happy.

Under this scenario it makes a lot of sense why Allen's attorney and Syracuse administration are keeping real quiet.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Syracuse punts on the Article 78 proceeding and may have already agreed to the same.
The only way the judge should allow this to drop is LA is reinstated.
The University needs to close down this board and present the judge with a new system approved by him.

I'm not sure that the NCAA would make an exception for a kid transferring due to a disciplinary matter (despite the consensus that the punishment doesn't fit the crime).

Right however, for he can transfer for mental health

The only way the judge should allow this to drop is LA is reinstated.
The University needs to close down this board and present the judge with a new system approved by him.
That's the problem - the judges have already said anything goes. School has complete and total discretion on the content of its policy and the disposition of its resources. For instance, a written policy stating "In all cases of allegations of sexual misconduct, the female accuser shall be assumed correct" is 100% kosher legally. All the school can do is kick you out. It can't deprive you of life, liberty, or property outside the voluntary agreements you have entered into with it. The opinion Go linked says explicitly, private school, private dealings, you have no Constitutional rights here, not even due process. That deserves to be in blink-text font.

Regardless of hard legal requirements, a school that does not afford such protections, voluntarily, to its students, should be punished, "shamed", whatever, until it begs for mercy.

Perhaps people should email ADJW and let him know that while he doesn’t directly impact the decision on Lequint (I believe if it was up to him this would be reversed immediately) that the decision by the school will impact him and donations to his programs.

That way he can pass the news on to the chancellor
Done

Syverud and Wildhack will have no comment on any of this - SU will either ride out this initial reaction until the ire dies down (most likely due to another University head scratching thing) and do nothing (that is my guess), or change the punishment and tell nobody, and dot com will find out when LQA is at Fall practice
This could end up worse for the University then when the 8 blacks sat out back in the 70's.
If this goes national you might get boycotts, and recruiting wise a lot of players won't even consider Syracuse.
And it won't just be football, it will be for all sports.
Someone in Authority needs to make this go away quickly.

Help me here. It seems to me that the school can do anything they want to do. If the Chancy came out and said I'm reducing the punishment to the summer session. What could anyone say? It isn't like this is the U.S. Constitution. These are our rules. And who would anyone complain to? And who would complain in the first place. Oh I'm sure that some group would do some sniping but so what.

Help me here. It seems to me that the school can do anything they want to do. If the Chancy came out and said I'm reducing the punishment to the summer session. What could anyone say? It isn't like this is the U.S. Constitution. These are our rules. And who would anyone complain to? And who would complain in the first place.
I suppose other kids that have been wronged over the years could try to litigate.

Help me here. It seems to me that the school can do anything they want to do. If the Chancy came out and said I'm reducing the punishment to the summer session. What could anyone say? It isn't like this is the U.S. Constitution. These are our rules. And who would anyone complain to? And who would complain in the first place. Oh I'm sure that some group would do some sniping but so what.

Agreed. The "our hands are tied by bureaucracy" defense isn't going to work, given the national publicity.

In my opinion, a middle manager overreached. Now, it's incumbent upon higher leaders to course-correct, behind the scenes of course, to walk back the poor outcome. Happens all the time -- in business, public sector, everywhere.

But what they can't and shouldn't do is just claim that there is no recourse, because a judicial review board made a decision.

So? We thought that decision was just. We didn't think this one was. Next.
I don’t think they want to open up how this process has worked in the past. They’ll look terrible.

Bingo

What’s really sad is that honestly he would have been suspended for spring and summer semester if he had showed up to the first disciplinary hearing that’s what he would have been. He would have been eligible to play for the season by taking classes at local community college

However, Lequints father died that day and he was unable to attend the disciplinary hearing which is why he ended up being suspended for the fall semester.

Just a terrible tragic sequence of events.

This could end up worse for the University then when the 8 blacks sat out back in the 70's.
If this goes national
that’s the problem, this hasn’t gone national yet… and we’re running out of time.

Just listened to the Axe & Lieker pod and does anyone else think the judge granting Allen a temporary stay is positive?

I was pessimistic but I think the judge will toss this in mid July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom