LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

9.10 Each party will have the opportunity to ask questions indirectly of the other party through the chairperson or administrative hearing officer. The chairperson or administrative hearing officer has the discretion to determine whether to permit questioning of witnesses indirectly through the chairperson or administrative hearing officer. Formal rules of evidence do not apply. Any information or statement may be admitted (including hearsay) at the discretion of the chairperson or administrative hearing officer. The parties may ask questions indirectly through the chairperson or hearing officer subject to reasonableness and relevance, as determined by the chairperson or administrative hearing officer.
Thank you. That is incredible. In essence anyone could lie and if the committee wanted to they could use lies to justify their decision.

When do these situations ever pan out for athletes at SU? We’re kidding ourselves if we think this decision will get changed. The only hope is the judge demanding changes. Even with that, I doubt SU will do an about face. Don’t tell me the university is supporting the football program. This should have all been handled by coach Babers.
Hard to say it should have been handled by the football program. If it was a fraternity member, should they handle their disciplinary issues? What about a student who isn’t a member of any group? This is a student issue and the fact that he is a football player is irrelevant to the Judiciary Board. I hate the decision but people need to understand that point.

84 hours later...

Still suspended.

I keep checking back, waiting for you to change the subject of the thread.

84 hours of disappointment. Which is a drop in the bucket all things considered.

1. Why does it matter if the kid is football player? He shouldn’t be treated better or worse.

2. The code of conduct is very clear you injure someone you are at risk of getting kicked out of school. Period. Doesn’t matter who started it.
Beyond ridiculous actually negligent.
So rather than defend oneself and risk hurting someone in the act of self defense.
Lets say someone's daughter pokes an eye out of a person attempting rape. That woman could be kicked out of school for harming the individual attacking her.
Seriously are you saying the rules dont take self defense into account? That self defense can only be used if you dont hurt someone in the act of self defense.
How any organization could allow this is beyond me.

I keep checking back, waiting for you to change the subject of the thread.

84 hours of disappointment. Which is a drop in the bucket all things considered.

The legal process works at its' own pace.

Or doesn't work, depending on how you look at it.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Following the logic of this decision; someone attempting to save their own life from someone trying to take it would be kicked out of school. That’s insanity!

IMG_4728.jpeg

I haven't been able to follow everything in this thread, so apologies if this has been answered: would a judge allow discovery in a suit like this? Or is he/she just going to review the suit, review the university's response and then make a decision? I would assume that discovery would drag this thing out longer and also might persuade the university to reach a settlement rather than open themselves up to that. But I'm also assuming that discovery isn't an option here.

based on what has been said so far. if every fight is going to lead to a 2 semester ban then why would they expect anyone to call the police if any punches get thrown. I can see other people calling police to break something up that was getting out of hand.. but who calls the police because 2 people are arguing? There arent enough police in the city to handle that stuff and they dont want to be called for all of those either.

mayve the person that we have to hope is complaining is the big money Lalley type donations..
Again, why hope to see SU Athletics punished when this issue is outside of their control? Based on everything we read I don't think LeQuint would applaud pulling support from his teammates, coaches and program. Withold donations to the University General Fund? Ok, maybe, but if anyone thinks there is ANYONE in the Athletic Department that is applauding this suspension and not doing everything in their power to ensure LeQuint receives a fair resolution, you are sorely mistaken.

And condolensces to your daughter. As outraged as I am over the apparent injustice, my Syracuse education has so greatly enriched my life.
Cost benefit analysis of college in general would be a good off topic discussion, as a father of a 5 year old right in the middle class, I know my son won’t be attending SU. Not affordable now and certainly won’t be in 13 years. Im not sure it’s worth the money, sadly. Back to LA I hope we hear something soon it’s been crickets, which isn’t surprising but like many here I have read every post on this hoping for an update and nothing.

The longer this drags out - Our best, and probably, only hope will be a legal one. Realistically, that was the only hope to begin with.
The resolution is going to occur through the judicial process. SU is not going to change their position prior to any court hearing.
Someone asked about discovery. I wondered the same thing. It seemed it would only be based on information at the hearing. However could a request be made for punishments received in similar cases to determine if the punishment offends one’s sense of fairness?

Cost benefit analysis of college in general would be a good off topic discussion, as a father of a 5 year old right in the middle class, I know my son won’t be attending SU. Not affordable now and certainly won’t be in 13 years. Im not sure it’s worth the money, sadly. Back to LA I hope we hear something soon it’s been crickets, which isn’t surprising but like many here I have read every post on this hoping for an update and nothing.
And that's fine. In fact, neither of my children went to Syracuse. I told them unless they were pursuing a unique degree that I would pay for state school their first two years, then we could talk about a transfer if it made sense. In retrospect, I should have said community college, but we were really anxious to try the empty nest lifestyle!

The resolution is going to occur through the judicial process. SU is not going to change their position prior to any court hearing.
Someone asked about discovery. I wondered the same thing. It seemed it would only be based on information at the hearing. However could a request be made for punishments received in similar cases to determine if the punishment offends one’s sense of fairness?
That's where I am confused. It's been stated by those in the know that there is no discovery in this type of case, but part of LeQuint's grounds for a legal challenge is to show an inconsistent application of punishment by the authority. OCS / SUJB hearings are not in the public record. How can his team find such inconsistency?

I am with everyone on with there should most definitely be a changed and reduced penalty. It's not surprising that it's not been immediately done. I don't think that lessons the chance for a favorable outcome at all. It could be for example that since this blew up at the start of the week and landed on the Chancellor's radar, that perhaps there are discussions and interviews happening and a gathering of facts so that a fully informed decision can be made. Maybe it's me but I would allow a bit more time for maybe a decision maker to get everything organized. There is not ramifications just for Allen in a decision and my guess would be that there is some review of possible ripple effects and possibly getting aligned internally on those elements before any decisions are made and to the public. That said hopefully if that is happening, someone has "time boxed " that effort within reason so it doesn't drag out.

Thank you. That is incredible. In essence anyone could lie and if the committee wanted to they could use lies to justify their decision.
It’s also within their discretion to exclude witnesses and evidence

Beyond ridiculous actually negligent.
So rather than defend oneself and risk hurting someone in the act of self defense.
Lets say someone's daughter pokes an eye out of a person attempting rape. That woman could be kicked out of school for harming the individual attacking her.
Seriously are you saying the rules dont take self defense into account? That self defense can only be used if you dont hurt someone in the act of self defense.
How any organization could allow this is beyond me.
It’s up to the decision maker. It’s not prohibited for them to take it into account, but nowhere in the policy does the concept of mitigating circumstances come up.

get US Savings Bonds (I-bonds). We put like 125k in and will have 750-850k when kids are in school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom