LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

He receives no compensation from the university for his services. He receives tuition and cost of living benefits that he pays no taxes on. There are previously settled cases that student athletes are not university employees and therefore are not offered the same protections as employees. Sure, that continues to be challenged in courts, but as it stands, he’s not an employee, and like I said before, no court would consider him one.

We’re in the Second Circuit boss.

Free tuition isn’t compensation?

Maybe we should all take a step back with these sorts of statements and chill out on potentially ruining more students' lives.
We don't know who the student was, their background, why they decided the way they did. I doubt any of us here agree with the punishment or the process. But, for all we know, it could be a young, black female who lost a family member in a fight and has zero tolerance for fighting and feels she might be saving Lequint's life by discouraging him from fighting in the future.
The problem lies in the system. No individual student should have that much unchecked power over another student's future. There needs to be a higher degree of oversight. Maybe, there should be a student panel that hears the case and passes a recommendation to the Dean of Students and the appeal goes to a panel of faculty members, including at least one from the law school.
It isn't that student's fault that they were given too much authority or lacks the breadth of experience to fairly adjudicate a case like this.
Yeah….obviously I’d love to know all the facts here.

I’m seeing lots of things said here over and over, but not sure how they know these things?

The fact that so many ex-players and coaches wives are speaking up makes it seem like he got a bad deal. From all we know it seems like the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

The lack of transparency is a problem.

I truly don’t understand the student court. What is the purpose of that?

This whole thing sucks, and can’t help but wonder if we’re missing something here because this doesn’t seem to make sense.

1687924299092.gif

Yeah….obviously I’d love to know all the facts here.

I’m seeing lots of things said here over and over, but not sure how they know these things?

The fact that so many ex-players and coaches wives are speaking up makes it seem like he got a bad deal. From all we know it seems like the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

The lack of transparency is a problem.

I truly don’t understand the student court. What is the purpose of that?

This whole thing sucks, and can’t help but wonder if we’re missing something here because this doesn’t seem to make sense.

When you even have the DA speaking out... I don't think we are actually missing something here. It was my big question as the news dropped but everything keeps stacking on the side of this being absurd the longer it drags out.

There are too many people closer to this situation stepping up to challenge this at this point for this to be a one sided story.

When you even have the DA speaking out... I don't think we are actually missing something here. It was my big question as the news dropped but everything keeps stacking on the side of this being absurd the longer it drags out.

There are too many people closer to this situation stepping up to challenge this at this point for this to be a one sided story.
Yeah, it seems too absurd to be true at this point which is why I can’t help but wonder if we’re missing something.

If not(and it certainly seems this way), I mean….what are they doing here? Why?

Honestly how many D1 players you think last year got in a fight? Probably 100+.
Bet it’s closer to 1,000 if you include fights between teammates. (Not counting practice field)

Syracuse University judicial affairs student board, when I was there, was staffed by academic overachievers who are terrified to appear soft on fellow students o they over-reach every time.

I had personal experience with it. My roommate was drinking in our dorm room my soph year. I wasn't in the room and hadnt been for hours. I think i had like 5 beers all of soph year (junior year was another story). But he was on my side because that is where our collective TV was (remember split doubles?). RA comes to the room. He says its mine. I come back to the room 8 hours later. Next thing you know, we are BOTH on probation for a year because that stupid student board just did what they do

It's a terrible terrible system
DellPlain split doubles were the best

I’m not sure why he didn’t transfer. Who wants to hear all that noise? If that’s how they want to handle it as a University, and our AD doesn’t have the pull to get it reviewed/addressed at higher levels than the 19 year old who made the decision, then it is what it is.

If I’m Dino I’m laughably livid. If I’m the position coach, I’m quitting lol.

When rightfully defending yourself anywhere becomes a punishment, I’d start looking into other alternatives.

She sure sounds like she's helping...

"What are you most looking forward to in your role as dean of students?
I am looking forward to getting to know our students and their families on a more personal level. College can be hard and being a parent or support person can be hard. In those times, I want them to know we are here to support them every step of the way the best way we can. We are also here to support them in achieving their goals and celebrating their successes".

I’m not sure why he didn’t transfer. Who wants to hear all that noise? If that’s how they want to handle it as a University, and our AD doesn’t have the pull to get it reviewed/addressed at higher levels than the 19 year old who made the decision, then it is what it is.

If I’m Dino I’m laughably livid. If I’m the position coach, I’m quitting lol.

When rightfully defending yourself anywhere becomes a punishment, I’d start looking into other alternatives.

I agree and wonder if he thought the punishment would have never ever been this harsh?

As for SU. I'll wear the color orange but sure as heck am not going to wear anything that says SU or Syracuse University or Orange, even if they send it to me for free.

Great article in the PS today. Lots of detail. It makes the University look bad. Allen is the only person in this case that makes any sense. This is an embarrassment for the University. If they don’t come to a settlement before the court date, they are out of their minds. I’m starting to wonder if this incident had anything to do with Chestnut going into the portal. For any student to be treated this way is just plain wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom