Let the hot seat talk begin | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Let the hot seat talk begin

great to hear!!!!!how did he get the message??

Every player does a post-season questionnaire. This off-season, the players said Marrone needed to chill out. Marrone apparently took it to heart.

Every player does a post-season questionnaire. This off-season, the players said Marrone needed to chill out. Marrone apparently took it to heart.
good.he would listen to the players more than the other coaches telling him the same thing. they were probably just as intimidated---and couldn't say a word out of fear.

I'll ask this question for the 100th time and hope it doesn't continue to be ignored.

If Marrone was left with nothing, how the hell dis he go 8-5 in year 2 including a bowl win?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I look at it this way. Smith and Davis came in as RBs and were not anywhere near developed at LB, the same can be said about our OL and DL (Art Jones wasn't all that great and he was our best DL). We went 8-5 based on a lot of development by guys on D that had never contributed before Marrone got here, Carter came back healthy, and Nassib developed into our first decent QB in a long time. With a little luck involved we got to a bowl game and played a D that was even more terrible than our D during the GROB years. 8-5 is still 8-5 but you're making it sound like we played 13 BCS teams and 9 of them being from the SEC. I understand the point you're trying make, but I think you're wrong to make that point given the facts of the situation. GROB had nothing to do with that time other than recruit some of them, and he proved he couldn't develop the talent. Well Marrone did, and that why we went 8-5.

*Answer, make that simpleton(s).

Sorry. Echos, you are just going to have to tough the next 4 of 5 years out. If Marrone is eventually fired, thats how long it will take.

In spite of your handle evoking SU's past, you apparently know little of it or understand much about the University's athletic programs and how oftern coaches are replaced.

If someone on this board uses the phrases "petulant", "entitled" and "whining", pay attention because they are referring to people like you.

Sorry but Marrone doesnt have at least 3-4 years, he will get this year and next unless the team totally bombs out.
If all goes south, I agree with this time table which also corresponds with Cantor's contract expiration. Word is that she is going to be run off and one would think the new Chancellor would bring in his/her own AD which could effect HCDM also.

Bottom line...winning cures all.

I thought we had a policy against name-calling on this board. A little civility goes a long way.
Great point but expected from this poster, particularly during a temper tantrum.

Agreed Macky is the least of our problems, he can do a serviceable job which at this point is what we need.
Wow...a semi-positive post. Congratulations.

I'm not going to celebrate if Marrone gets fired. I genuinely want to see the guy succeed.

The thing is, I don't think that in college football that the things Marrone wants to do can succeed consistently. Oh, I know, I'm not a football coach, there's no reason to believe me. It's just that between the end of Pasqualoni, Robinson, and now Marrone I've seen such unimaginative football for such a long time, and yeah, I'm not as interested in Syracuse football anymore because it just isn't fun. Which is tough, because we're living in an era where college football is an absolute blast, and a lot of Orange fans just don't see that or want to accept that the truth that it just isn't that hard to score touchdowns.

What is "imaginative" football?

Who plays imaginative football? Some examples, please.

Who plays imaginative football in the Northeast?

If Marrone wins, he stays.

If he loses, he goes

Not earth shattering news I am sharing I know, but it's really just that simple. And some of you making the laundry list of excuses are just wasting their time. If 2012 is a 3 win season, he is gone! You can put any positive spin on a 3 win season you want and come up with a ton of excuses, but he can't survive that!

If Doug wins 4 or 5 and fails to get to a bowl, maybe he buys himself a year, but honestly anything less than 5 wins and I think he is gone. And I think its an easy decision honestly.

What's realistic for Syracuse football?

Given that SU is a private school in a declining, former rust-belt city, how good can SU football be?

Can SU really be in the Top 20 consistently with the number of schools now competing for the small talent pool in Northeast?

A coach only counts for so much.

If Marrone wins, he stays.

If he loses, he goes

Not earth shattering news I am sharing I know, but it's really just that simple. And some of you making the laundry list of excuses are just wasting their time. If 2012 is a 3 win season, he is gone! You can put any positive spin on a 3 win season you want and come up with a ton of excuses, but he can't survive that!

If Doug wins 4 or 5 and fails to get to a bowl, maybe he buys himself a year, but honestly anything less than 5 wins and I think he is gone. And I think its an easy decision honestly.

Three years more at a minimum.

Wow...a semi-positive post. Congratulations.

Its not all negative on this side my friend but when it comes to what happened last year I am not gonna sugarcoat it. Theres a difference in being negative and being a realist that sometimes gets lost on this board. Despite the tough schedule this year I think its possible for SU to get to 6-6 and a bowl game which would be a huge accomplishment. But its going to depend on coaching, player development, and SU actually playing well down the stretch for the first in the Marrone era. I still feel Marrone gets at least two years here unless the team somehow completely falls apart which I dont see happening. If the AD's office had got us awinnable game instead of at Missouri I would think this team had a really good shot at a bowl season instead of 50/50 at best.

Yep...as does Nassib's INT on the goal line.
If I remember correctly it bounced off of Foster's CHEST. I don't know what you think great placement is, but on the goal line it doesn't get any better than that.

What is "imaginative" football?

An offensive philosophy of making the best attempt to score every time you have the football. The trend to that right now appears to be spreading formations to get speed players in space, forcing the defense to account for a greater amount of the field and a greater number of eligible receivers or runners. Another trend is the growing emphasis on increasing the number of plays that your offense can get off and keeping the defense on its heels by running no huddle and getting plays to the line quickly.

An offensive philosophy of hoping to do just enough is not imaginative. Our offensive philosophy is to do just enough. So... we do not play imaginative football.

Who plays imaginative football? Some examples, please.

Oregon, Houston, Oklahoma State, Nevada, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois, etc.

Who plays imaginative football in the Northeast?

Nobody, actually, which is what makes it all the more frustrating because we could establish ourselves as the premier high flying offense in the Northeast, but why would we want to do that? It's not like WE"RE THE ONLY BCS PROGRAM THAT PLAYS IN A DOME PERFECTLY SUITED TO A SPEED BASED AERIAL OFFENSE OR ANYTHING. No, we're way better off running bunch formations with two tight ends and a fullback and trying to run clock. Way better.:rolleyes:
What was the point of this exercise, Townie? Did you really think that there aren't examples that are fundamentally and philosophically different from whatever it is Marrone has been running that are wildly successful?

It was hilarious during the bowl season seeing Orange fans posting about how it looks like other teams play a different game and being flummoxed by how easy it is for other teams to score. Hilarious. We're so used to seeing crap and buying into the Marrone Man-Love that the game has passed us by.

Let's hope Marrone and crew learned something this offseason because it really isn't difficult to expect your offense to score points and put them in position to do so. It really isn't.

Yep...as does Nassib's INT on the goal line.

Yes, after it bounced off the receiver.

Different to me than dropping a pick six.

I look at it this way. Smith and Davis came in as RBs and were not anywhere near developed at LB, the same can be said about our OL and DL (Art Jones wasn't all that great and he was our best DL). We went 8-5 based on a lot of development by guys on D that had never contributed before Marrone got here, Carter came back healthy, and Nassib developed into our first decent QB in a long time. With a little luck involved we got to a bowl game and played a D that was even more terrible than our D during the GROB years. 8-5 is still 8-5 but you're making it sound like we played 13 BCS teams and 9 of them being from the SEC. I understand the point you're trying make, but I think you're wrong to make that point given the facts of the situation. GROB had nothing to do with that time other than recruit some of them, and he proved he couldn't develop the talent. Well Marrone did, and that why we went 8-5.

You made my point. Thanks.

LOL if you honestly believe what you just wrote then god help you. Uconn and USF were much more talented then SU??? USF won one BE game and that was versus us, UConn lost to Central Michigan (or someone like that) and Vandy. Also you contradict yourself left and right, first you said we made a ton of mistakes early and still almost beat Pitt yet now they are much more talented and we had no chance? The fact you said the UC qb was good proves you clearly A. didnt watch the game or B. wont take the su glasses off because that kid stunk. Rutgers the week before held them to 100 total yards and 3 points the kid was tore apart by his own fan base but now according to you hes really good? You make Cincy, USF, Uconn and Pitt sounds like Texas, Florida, Ohio State, and USC. Those teams were all not superior to SU in talent and players stop making execuses.

Yes I was there for 2005 but I wasnt born yet for 73, 74, and just missed 82. What do any of those years have to do with last year? You and others keep pointing to the pinstripe bowl as some beacon of sucess yet when we point out the 5 game death knell last year you and others just brush it aside.

You really don't get it.

If you really don't see that USF, Pitt and Cincy had far more talent than we did last year, then I think you're missing the boat.

The fact is that talent normally - not always - but normally prevails in college football.

Cincy, Pitt, USF and UConn were certainly not world beaters last year, but all of them except for perhaps UConn had more talent than SU. And, there is no dispute by anybody that UConn had a better punter, a better FG kicker, a better KO/punt return man and better defensive players and a better OL than we did. The game came down to field position, a missed FG, and a UConn OL that took over the game in the fourth quarter. The talent of UConn made a difference in a close game.

I think that if you look position by position at USF, Pitt, Cincy and SU, you will come to agree with me.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that most pundits did not see SU as a top flight BE team going into last season. I think we did about what many thought we would do given the loss of almost our entire defense and the loss of Delone Carter on offense.

I am glad that you are a fan, believe me, but given your relatively short SU Football history I don't think you're in a position to declare last season a"historic" failure. Believe me there have been far worse failures in the past - too many.

Finally, We are gett

That necessarily distorts your sense of history'm afraid that you have no collapes " I must say, The fact that you have no real experience

It was a dumbass playcall. A quick slant into traffic at the 1. If he catches the ball or if it's a pick, it was a dumbass call either way.

It was a dumbass playcall. A quick slant into traffic at the 1. If he catches the ball or if it's a pick, it was a dumbass call either way.

The same play worked well against Cincy in 2010 and I think a few other times that year.

I would have preferred a safer call in retrospect.

But, criticizing playcalling is usually a pointless exercise - we don't know why a certain play was called or how it was executed - we just don't know the details.

We do know that Thomas had a sure INT for TD in his hands and dropped the ball - that play would have ended the game.

thats an NFL caliber play call.

takes balls, gumption, intelligence and a belief in your players to execute to even consider calling it.

would you prefer grobbycakes handing the ball to freshman fiametta 4x???

Three years more at a minimum.
IF HE WINS! If this is a 3 or 4 win season he is done.

SU football is a business and a declining one at that. 3 and 4 win seasons hurt business more. Doug can't survive that.

IF HE WINS! If this is a 3 or 4 win season he is done.

SU football is a business and a declining one at that. 3 and 4 win seasons hurt business more. Doug can't survive that.

Marrone won 4 games in his first season, 8 games in his second season and 5 games in his 3rd season. If he wins 3 games in his 4th season his job security will be an issue. That's a big if.

I still laugh when I read the writer saying looks like SU may lack playmakers again this year so why not write that Marrone is in the top 10 coaches nationally to be on the hot seat. The way he puts it he can deny that he said SU would lack playmakers if in fact SU's offense makes plays. If you're going to list someone in the top 10 of anything in my opinion you need to go all in with your reasoning. This guy puts nothing on the line while saying Marrone's job is on the line.

I wasn't attempting to assign blame...it was a huge play in deciding the final outcome.

What's realistic for Syracuse football?

Given that SU is a private school in a declining, former rust-belt city, how good can SU football be?

Can SU really be in the Top 20 consistently with the number of schools now competing for the small talent pool in Northeast?

A coach only counts for so much.

You raise key issues. First, Syracuse must work to keep any other schools in the northeast out of the ACC and thus hopefully (unless the Big 12 goes wild and takes Rutgers to claim NYC for itself as a type of Austin-East) keep those schools as small time. The fewer the number of Big Time conference schools there are playing in Big Time football conferences, the better off each is. Cuse, for example, will recruit NJ better if Rutgers is small time in league affiliation.

Second, Cuse needs to try to recruit OH, emphasizing that now OH borders the ACC and that an OH kid at Syracuse gets to stay in the north but also play teams primarily in the South, meaning he gets to match with 'Southern speed.'

Third, Syracuse must use ACC membership to land key recruits from the South.

The right HC can oversee all of that (save keeping Rutgers and UConn out of a Big Time conference).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom