Morgantown, WV
Blacksburg, VA
Lincoln, NE
Auburn, AL
State College, PA
Columbia, MO
Gainesville, FL

I could go on and on...

I'm sure all of these are great places to live. But I don't think anyone would call them the who's who of economic boom in the United States.

Therefore, I think it's fair to say that your geographic point is irrelevant.

I spent some time in Fayetteville, AR and the surrounding area of NW Arkansas two years ago in the week before the Arkansas v. Florida game. The difference between that area and CNY relative to interest in college football is so huge, so vast that it defies description. The upcoming game is on everybody's mind and in every conversation. You can't buy gasoline without discussing it with the cashier. You can order a meal without going over Arkansas prospects with the waitress. ALL business conversations begin and end with a review of plans for the game for the weekend.

Maybe, maybe you might compare it to the excitement in Syracus the night of the 2003 NCAA Championship game against Kansas. But in Arkansas, it's every week in football season and for months ahead of time.

Being in increasingly sollege football indifferent CNY is not a plus for the SU program. Selling 35,000 seats and having 25,000 actually show up is what we have.

ok.

we will count this as 1 vote for the freshman fullback dive play.

'wishbone, 21 dive....on 2. ready...break'

stupid is as stupid does......

Oh Lord

And here come the insults...

So, since that's the maturity level you want to stoop to... are you too much of an idiot to figure out the sarcasm of "Yes, because that's the only alternative" to your dumbass comment that a FB dive is the only other option to an idiotic "NFL caliber play" as you so well put it? Maybe our playbook could consist of a sweep? or an option? or a fade, or an out, or any other play that isn't a slant into traffic inside the 1 on 1st down.

I'm done with this conversation, go piss in the wind, dick.

I spent some time in Fayetteville, AR and the surrounding area of NW Arkansas two years ago in the week before the Arkansas v. Florida game. The difference between that area and CNY relative to interest in college football is so huge, so vast that it defies description. The upcoming game is on everybody's mind and in every conversation. You can't buy gasoline without discussing it with the cashier. You can order a meal without going over Arkansas prospects with the waitress. ALL business conversations begin and end with a review of plans for the game for the weekend.

Maybe, maybe you might compare it to the excitement in Syracus the night of the 2003 NCAA Championship game against Kansas. But in Arkansas, it's every week in football season and for months ahead of time.

Being in increasingly sollege football indifferent CNY is not a plus for the SU program. Selling 35,000 seats and having 25,000 actually show up is what we have.
the east is the east---has never been nor will ever be a college football ravenous area,psu excluded. i dare say that people in the east have many other interests and diversified activities and unlike many areas of the country, football is not a primary part of the culture.

the east is the east---has never been nor will ever be a college football ravenous area,psu excluded. i dare say that people in the east have many other interests and diversified activities and unlike many areas of the country, football is not a primary part of the culture.
I agree. And that's just one of the reasons it will be hard to rebuild the SU football program and sustain it.

That's one of the reasons that people need to focus in on just what is really achievable and not believe that firing and hiring a succession of coaches is going to achieve anything.

I agree. And that's just one of the reasons it will be hard to rebuild the SU football program and sustain it.

That's one of the reasons that people need to focus in on just what is really achievable and not believe that firing and hiring a succession of coaches is going to achieve anything.
I view it in different terms. I really don't know how good SU can expect to be on a consistent basis.

I do think though that a coach can control to a certain extent how entertaining the brand of football is, and that's been a major disappointment. I think entertainment is achievable. :noidea:

i agree on the coach thing and i am a marrone supporter provided he learned from last year,particularly in creating a team persona and more approachable and less rigid. i am also a facility fanatic, but am not a dump the dome proponent. just allow us to be competetive and give the coaches a chance to recruit with decent facilities.

Oh I agree with all of this. I'm referring to the financial viability of the town in which the college resides, and how it is not all that important considering where many of the national powers are located.

Oh I agree with all of this. I'm referring to the financial viability of the town in which the college resides, and how it is not all that important considering where many of the national powers are located.

I agree. It's not how many people live in an area or how much they make that's important. It's how much they are willing to spend on football in the aggregate.

Listen,

Syracuse should have no problem competing for a bowl every year and every five years or so be in the top 20. We are NY team we have great money flowing from the ACC now and we are a national brand. If Boise State can compete, If Cincy can compete and on and on and on we sure as hell can compete. With the upgrade to manley we will be in good shape. The indoor practice facility along with the new manley football facilities will be solid. The dome is great and about to get better. What Doug needs is a true OC one that takes advantage of our fast track and perfect playing conditions. Hack was a mistake period. Maybe he grows into the job this year maybe not. Give me a solid OC with some experiance not some kid learning on the job and we are not in this mess.

And here come the insults...

So, since that's the maturity level you want to stoop to... are you too much of an idiot to figure out the sarcasm of "Yes, because that's the only alternative" to your dumbass comment that a FB dive is the only other option to an idiotic "NFL caliber play" as you so well put it? Maybe our playbook could consist of a sweep? or an option? or a fade, or an out, or any other play that isn't a slant into traffic inside the 1 on 1st down.

I'm done with this conversation, go piss in the wind, dick.
1st insult thrown here was u callin me a dick and telling me to piss in the wind.

i guess that play isnt 'creative' enough for you. so yes, it seems you would prefer old college standby plays...which is stupid is as stupid does. im a huge P fan but i guess you really want the P & D show.

speaking of the SU playbook you long for...the fullback dive is 1 of them, its basically right in this post...'option', right thre with 'sweep'. and what if that out gets jumped???......pick 6TD.

so that leaves us with your tired fade.

enjoy

Oh Lord

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. The reasons people give for not attending SU games are (in no particular order):
1. yard work
2. apple picking (for fun)
3. more compelling college football games on TV
4. parking/traffic sucks
5. gameday experience sucks (ironic, since the fans create 80% of the atmosphere)
6. Don't want to devote 4 hours of a Saturday to go to a game
7. HS football games (which was also a reason a lot of people claim they won't go to Friday night games)
8. They don't like noon games

Most of these issues are found, and overcome I might add, in every other area of the country where college football thrives. For some reason, they keep most people away from SU games. I blame the U.S. Army for leaking massive amounts of apathy into the air from the Seneca Depot in the early 70s. Apathy has a very long half-life.

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. The reasons people give for not attending SU games are (in no particular order):
1. yard work
4. parking/traffic sucks
5. gameday experience sucks (ironic, since the fans create 80% of the atmosphere)
7. HS football games (which was also a reason a lot of people claim they won't go to Friday night games)

Most of these issues are found, and overcome I might add, in every other area of the country where college football thrives. For some reason, they keep most people away from SU games. I blame the U.S. Army for leaking massive amounts of apathy into the air from the Seneca Depot in the early 70s. Apathy has a very long half-life.
9. Pop Warner games & practices

9. Pop Warner games & practices

Which is a completely valid reason unlike apple picking or lawn mowing.

I agree with this completely. That's why some of these "game time thread discussions kind of make me shake my head sometimes. I used to live in GA and down there, it doesn't matter what time the games are for the most part, going to the the game is THE thing to do though. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing that people have other important things in their lives besides college football, but some of the excuses are kind of disappointing to me.

It's not a business. It's a private university playing at business. And they don't like firing people.

If SU had a few powerful boosters, they could force the issue. But SU does not.

If SU had a large. powerful booster oganization, they could force change. But they don't.

So it is left to administrators. Gross doesn't want to fire him because that admits failure a 2nd time. And he doesn't want to hire a third coach who could fail.

SU has had 6 football HCs in the past 60 years.

This isn't business. This isn't the NFL. This isn't the SEC.

Now if SU wins 3 games a year for the next two years, they'll move. But 5 or 6 wins a year and Doug's job is secure.
Sorry I do not think so

1. yard work
4. parking/traffic sucks

you make my point. ---they are not ravenous re football and use any excuse not to go. you are also right about upstate apathy and negativity.other areas of the country will go hungry to buy tickets and drive their(cousin eddies house)to the games. i spent two years in alabama and i know of what i speak.

you make my point. ---they are not ravenous re football and use any excuse not to go. you are also right about upstate apathy and negativity.other areas of the country will go hungry to buy tickets and drive their(cousin eddies house)to the games. i spent two years in alabama and i know of what i speak.

Would you consider Western New York state "upstate?" Because the Bills are a religion over here.

I also lived in Arkansas and agree that college football is a way of life there. But part of the reason that this is true for Arkansas, and many other areas of the country, has nothing to do with whether or not the college sports are any good or not but rather there are no other venues for watching football, basketball, anything. In the Carolinas it has only been within the past 20 years that there have been any professional sports teams, unless you count minor league baseball. No other options on time or money in terms of sports unlike New York.

I also lived in Arkansas and agree that college football is a way of life there. But part of the reason that this is true for Arkansas, and many other areas of the country, has nothing to do with whether or not the college sports are any good or not but rather there are no other venues for watching football, basketball, anything. In the Carolinas it has only been within the past 20 years that there have been any professional sports teams, unless you count minor league baseball. No other options on time or money in terms of sports unlike New York.

And what's all that close to Syracuse, NY thats attracting so much attention that SU sports takes a back seat. The Buffalo Bill 150 miles away? Doesn't appear that way during the winter when the Dome pulls in 30,000+.

This difference isn't rooted in availability of other sports alternatives. This is cultural. This is history.

Football in the South is a huge deal in a way it could never be in the East. And these people get the NFL on TV and they watch it.

Yeah, that's an excuse that doesn't fly. Michigan seems to be able to rabidly support UM and MSU while also supporting 4 pro sports teams. Same in Ohio with tOSU and the Browns/Bengals/Reds/Indians. Heck, even in LA they turn out for USC/UCLA, and there's about a million more things to do there than in CNY.

CNY just doesn't care about college football. I've learned to stop tilting at that windmill, it is what it is, and it's the community's loss.

I wouldn't say doesn't care more of a cultural thing where it just is down the list of things to do but if the Orange win it moves the bandwagon people to put it on their things to do list. In the south it's their religion. If the hoops team goes 15-15 or so for 3 to 5 years I'd bet we'd see 14-18K tops in the dome.

It's a good thing SU can't pick up their franchise and move like the Colts or Browns.

I wouldn't say doesn't care more of a cultural thing where it just is down the list of things to do but if the Orange win it moves the bandwagon people to put it on their things to do list. In the south it's their religion. If the hoops team goes 15-15 or so for 3 to 5 years I'd bet we'd see 14-18K tops in the dome.

doesn't care = down the list of things to do

It's a good thing SU can't pick up their franchise and move like the Colts or Browns.

I will add that the Browns were selling out every game when they were moved. That was the owner vs the city fight and not about fan support at all.

I will add that the Browns were selling out every game when they were moved. That was the owner vs the city fight and not about fan support at all.

Yeah I know they were selling out but my point being if this were just a football team and they had a choice they'd be gone. Imagine SU saying..."We need a new retractable dome and for the tax payers to pay for it or we're gone"

Having grown up in B1G country my experience is that large state schools always have an advantage in fan support because the alumni base is much larger and because the alumni are largely local. If more people from CNY actually attended SU it would help in my opinion.

In the south football is a way of life moreso than in the midwest or the east in part because of the climate. It's much more enjoyable to tailgate in October weather in SEC locales that outside the dome. That doesn't stop people at PSU and Michigan or Notre Dame, but they do suffer much more to tailgate. And I must add that the people who tailgate at the Fine lot are perhaps the most noble group of any.

A buddy of mine who grew up in the midwest moved down to SEC country, and he is blown away with some of the tailgates. He says you may see 80 or 90,000 people inside the stadium during the game, but outside during the game is another 100,000 or more tailgating and watching the game on video screens. At some SEC schools every Satruday is a spectacle approaching the scale of something like the Indy 500. SU really ought to do more to make tailgating easier.