Let the hot seat talk begin | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Let the hot seat talk begin

You raise key issues. First, Syracuse must work to keep any other schools in the northeast out of the ACC and thus hopefully (unless the Big 12 goes wild and takes Rutgers to claim NYC for itself as a type of Austin-East) keep those schools as small time. The fewer the number of Big Time conference schools there are playing in Big Time football conferences, the better off each is. Cuse, for example, will recruit NJ better if Rutgers is small time in league affiliation.

Second, Cuse needs to try to recruit OH, emphasizing that now OH borders the ACC and that an OH kid at Syracuse gets to stay in the north but also play teams primarily in the South, meaning he gets to match with 'Southern speed.'

Third, Syracuse must use ACC membership to land key recruits from the South.

The right HC can oversee all of that (save keeping Rutgers and UConn out of a Big Time conference).
I think that this is a great post. If there is another expansion I hope it is ND and UCONN. The way this program is being built is going to take time, we have never had success quickly. I cannot say for sure but I would like to look at Boise St, TCU, and some of the other programs that have had recent success and look to see how many of there players they were afforded to redshirt. Kids who were able to buy in, learn the system and get stronger. We are going to get there. This program was left for trash in my opinion under the last administration. Either we want to have big time football here in the city or we do not. A huge comittment has to be made. I am hoping that it is being made, I believe it is. We cannot be so negative, I cannot believe the negativity that surfaces on these boards. And it actually comes from adults. What we need is to have Pittsburg Steeler type devotion in this small town, I mean come on there is nothing else going on. Upstate should be packing this place to the gills. I do believe that the U needs to be better at localizing its devotion to the community, and under this administration I believe we are doing things we never have. That is why I respect this chancellor for these measures. Do not always agree, however they are trying and I like it. I am a grad and I live here and love it.

Concerning focusing on strengths we have to market the fact that we are The brand of NY, that is awesome and we happen to park in beautiful upstate NY. We have national academic recognition, trust me everywhere I go we seem to have a voice. We better because we are a private school. We need to use this and recruit this types of student athletes, example (Dontez Ford) I think we can do this. Look at stanford before Harbaugh. We must continue to upgrade facilities, a must. Our campus is beautiful, I wish we could include a way for all student to have admission to the the games of their choice, olympic sports too. I know we do not live in Ca and we are not Stanford academically however we are a peer institution and we do quite well. We can do this. I think Duke is a tremendous institution however football wise we have a huge edge, BC as well. Can I say professional and academic referral network. Tremendous power to a long term thinker. We must key on this to families.

Lastly we need to get over the old, upstate mentality that seems to pervade, my goodness negative neds and nellies, we actually have a coach who loves it here, me too. It is an awesome place to live, hallelujah, we need to be thankful for what we got and embrace the positive.

IF HE WINS! If this is a 3 or 4 win season he is done.

SU football is a business and a declining one at that. 3 and 4 win seasons hurt business more. Doug can't survive that.

It's not a business. It's a private university playing at business. And they don't like firing people.

If SU had a few powerful boosters, they could force the issue. But SU does not.

If SU had a large. powerful booster oganization, they could force change. But they don't.

So it is left to administrators. Gross doesn't want to fire him because that admits failure a 2nd time. And he doesn't want to hire a third coach who could fail.

SU has had 6 football HCs in the past 60 years.

This isn't business. This isn't the NFL. This isn't the SEC.

Now if SU wins 3 games a year for the next two years, they'll move. But 5 or 6 wins a year and Doug's job is secure.

If all goes south, I agree with this time table which also corresponds with Cantor's contract expiration. Word is that she is going to be run off and one would think the new Chancellor would bring in his/her own AD which could effect HCDM also.

I would be very -- no make that extremely surpised if Cantor is "run off." I'm not sure if you're local or not, but her approval seems to be very high in the community.

I think that this is a great post. If there is another expansion I hope it is ND and UCONN. The way this program is being built is going to take time, we have never had success quickly. I cannot say for sure but I would like to look at Boise St, TCU, and some of the other programs that have had recent success and look to see how many of there players they were afforded to redshirt. Kids who were able to buy in, learn the system and get stronger. We are going to get there. This program was left for trash in my opinion under the last administration. Either we want to have big time football here in the city or we do not. A huge comittment has to be made. I am hoping that it is being made, I believe it is. We cannot be so negative, I cannot believe the negativity that surfaces on these boards. And it actually comes from adults. What we need is to have Pittsburg Steeler type devotion in this small town, I mean come on there is nothing else going on. Upstate should be packing this place to the gills. I do believe that the U needs to be better at localizing its devotion to the community, and under this administration I believe we are doing things we never have. That is why I respect this chancellor for these measures. Do not always agree, however they are trying and I like it. I am a grad and I live here and love it.

Concerning focusing on strengths we have to market the fact that we are The brand of NY, that is awesome and we happen to park in beautiful upstate NY. We have national academic recognition, trust me everywhere I go we seem to have a voice. We better because we are a private school. We need to use this and recruit this types of student athletes, example (Dontez Ford) I think we can do this. Look at stanford before Harbaugh. We must continue to upgrade facilities, a must. Our campus is beautiful, I wish we could include a way for all student to have admission to the the games of their choice, olympic sports too. I know we do not live in Ca and we are not Stanford academically however we are a peer institution and we do quite well. We can do this. I think Duke is a tremendous institution however football wise we have a huge edge, BC as well. Can I say professional and academic referral network. Tremendous power to a long term thinker. We must key on this to families.

Lastly we need to get over the old, upstate mentality that seems to pervade, my goodness negative neds and nellies, we actually have a coach who loves it here, me too. It is an awesome place to live, hallelujah, we need to be thankful for what we got and embrace the positive.

This post nearly brought me to tears. :)

Three years more at a minimum.

Agree that it's at least 3 years.

But if it's decided at some point that it's not working out, I hope we go out and get an assistant coach that off the Leach, Sumlin, Holgorson tree. The branches on that tree are growing by the year. And given that we'll be an ACC school who plays in a Dome, one of them would jump at the chance to coach here. The downside is that some of those guys appear to be chemically unbalanced, but it would be the best type of person to get SU back on the college football map.

Hopefully Marrone's offense starts taking off as soon as 2012, so we're not even worried about going down that road.

The Sporting News forgot to even slot Doug Marrone in a ranking of the conference's coaches.
TSN

spot on particularly about upstate ny---but-- we are not peer to stanford--they are an ivy peer academically

I would be very -- no make that extremely surpised if Cantor is "run off." I'm not sure if you're local or not, but her approval seems to be very high in the community.

I am local and heard it from someone ( a dean) at SU. I was very surprised.

Sorry but we've had this discussion and you're dead wrong.

Cincy, Pitt, and USF were all much more talented than we were last year. Cincy and USF flat out beat us - they were bigger, stronger and faster. They had better players at virtually every position including QB - the Cincy QB was very talented.

Insert sarcasm here? It was a guy named Munchie Legeaux (sp?) for crying out loud.

I am local and heard it from someone ( a dean) at SU. I was very surprised.
I've heard very much the same thing from much of the faculty. Cantor is not well liked by the faculty or the BoT. I highly doubt she we be back when her contract is up.

thats an NFL caliber play call.

takes balls, gumption, intelligence and a belief in your players to execute to even consider calling it.

would you prefer grobbycakes handing the ball to freshman fiametta 4x???

It's the friggin' college game. NFL caliber play call? This isn't the NFL, we don't have NFL caliber players.

Yes, because that's the only alternative. Get friggin' creative instead of an "NFL caliber play call" without the talent to execute it.

The same play worked well against Cincy in 2010 and I think a few other times that year.

I would have preferred a safer call in retrospect.

But, criticizing playcalling is usually a pointless exercise - we don't know why a certain play was called or how it was executed - we just don't know the details.

We do know that Thomas had a sure INT for TD in his hands and dropped the ball - that play would have ended the game.

If it was executed or not, it was still a dumbass call in that situation, especially being called on first down, no matter what the reason was.

pretty sure the author of that was another one of those graduates from BigEast University.

Um, yeah, because it's a huge stretch to think that we would have beaten a 2-10 Maryland team for that 6th win. As bad as we were last year, we still beat the #2 team in the ACC-Atlantic division.

This board has always been very quick to point out how overrated the ACC was, particularly when the BE was getting trashed every season by the media. But, now that SU is moving to the ACC, all of a sudden, the ACC is so much better than the BE? I just don't buy it. Most of the teams in the ACC have put together decent records by beating the bottom of the conference.

It's the friggin' college game. NFL caliber play call? This isn't the NFL, we don't have NFL caliber players.

Yes, because that's the only alternative. Get friggin' creative instead of an "NFL caliber play call" without the talent to execute it.
ok.

we will count this as 1 vote for the freshman fullback dive play.

'wishbone, 21 dive....on 2. ready...break'

stupid is as stupid does......

Oh Lord

I'm sorry OrangePA, but none of the teams you keep talking about are talented. Compared to the NCAA at large, the Big East team talent, outside of WVU (WHO LEFT) is garbage. No team currently left is better or worse than us by a significant factor (though Louisville's recruiting should/could pay off this year). They're all , and they all rely on a few stars to carry several other bodies filling the offense or defense. Every Big East school is playing on the same tier right now, no one is more talented than anyone else by a significant enough factor to make talent the difference in a game between the two.

tumblr_lgbilzDkVB1qf8yek.gif

Um, yeah, because it's a huge stretch to think that we would have beaten a 2-10 Maryland team for that 6th win. As bad as we were last year, we still beat the #2 team in the ACC-Atlantic division.

This board has always been very quick to point out how overrated the ACC was, particularly when the BE was getting trashed every season by the media. But, now that SU is moving to the ACC, all of a sudden, the ACC is so much better than the BE? I just don't buy it. Most of the teams in the ACC have put together decent records by beating the bottom of the conference.

That's all well and good, but are you really THAT confident we could definitely have beaten Maryland? I mean I think we'd be favored, no doubt, but we lost to everyone in the Big East aside from that fluke against WVU, and but for a few fortunate moments we easily could have lost to Toledo and Tulane as well. SU was not a good team last year, I think our 5-7 record actually covers up for just how lousy we were for all but a dozen or so quarters.

I have posted this before but what the heck everyone loves a broken record. IF Doug wins 3 games or less this year i believe he will be let go same with an ugly 4. 5 wins gets him next year. A bowl gets him an extension.

I'm sorry OrangePA, but none of the teams you keep talking about are talented. Compared to the NCAA at large, the Big East team talent, outside of WVU (WHO LEFT) is garbage. No team currently left is better or worse than us by a significant factor (though Louisville's recruiting should/could pay off this year). They're all ****, and they all rely on a few stars to carry several other bodies filling the offense or defense. Every Big East school is playing on the same tier right now, no one is more talented than anyone else by a significant enough factor to make talent the difference in a game between the two.
rutgers has significantly better talent (except qb) and flood will prove to be a better game day coach than gs was-=-much to my chagrin

That's all well and good, but are you really THAT confident we could definitely have beaten Maryland? I mean I think we'd be favored, no doubt, but we lost to everyone in the Big East aside from that fluke against WVU, and but for a few fortunate moments we easily could have lost to Toledo and Tulane as well. SU was not a good team last year, I think our 5-7 record actually covers up for just how lousy we were for all but a dozen or so quarters.

Definitely? No, but likely, imo. The fact that we weren't very good last year and still would have had a very good chance of going 6-6 (and going to a bowl) if you replace any of our losses with MD, was actually my point - that the ACC wasn't that much better than the BE.

Neither conference was very good, so this is kind of like debating who would be the better president, Obama or Romney?

Given that SU is a private school in a declining, former rust-belt city, how good can SU football be?

Tuscaloosa, AL
Norman, OK
Fayetteville, AR
Ann Arbor, MI
Lansing, MI
Manhattan, KS
Athens, GA
Morgantown, WV
Blacksburg, VA
Lincoln, NE
Auburn, AL
State College, PA
Columbia, MO
Gainesville, FL

I could go on and on...

I'm sure all of these are great places to live. But I don't think anyone would call them the who's who of economic boom in the United States.

Therefore, I think it's fair to say that your geographic point is irrelevant.

ok.

we will count this as 1 vote for the freshman fullback dive play.

'wishbone, 21 dive....on 2. ready...break'

stupid is as stupid does......

Oh Lord

Can we not run any other type of play? Fade Route? Counter? QB Draw? AAM running behind Harris out of the eye? We have a whole playbook for a reason, it was a terrible call.

rutgers has significantly better talent (except qb) and flood will prove to be a better game day coach than gs was-=-much to my chagrin

It's really not that much better.

Tuscaloosa, AL
Norman, OK
Fayetteville, AR
Ann Arbor, MI
Lansing, MI
Manhattan, KS
Athens, GA
Morgantown, WV
Blacksburg, VA
Lincoln, NE
Auburn, AL
State College, PA
Columbia, MO
Gainesville, FL

I could go on and on...

I'm sure all of these are great places to live. But I don't think anyone would call them the who's who of economic boom in the United States.

Therefore, I think it's fair to say that your geographic point is irrelevant.

It matters to people here for some reason because people are stuck in an NFL attitude here in the Northeast.

Definitely? No, but likely, imo. The fact that we weren't very good last year and still would have had a very good chance of going 6-6 (and going to a bowl) if you replace any of our losses with MD, was actually my point - that the ACC wasn't that much better than the BE.

Neither conference was very good, so this is kind of like debating who would be the better president, Obama or Romney?

What you're arguing is that Maryland sucks. No real disagreement with me on that one.

And your point about being able to get bowl elligible is really about the fact that we managed to go 4-1 OOC. We'd have no chance of getting bowl eligible on the back of our conference record, no matter which league schedule we played.