Lets all root for UConn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lets all root for UConn

When I was in school at the Hill, UCONN was an afterthought. A joke. They upset us my senior year (I think) - it was as if the sky had fallen. Sigh.

Two title games in two years in this climate is insane. We cant even keep our best player to stay put (this is praise to Hurley not a knock on Autry).

He got guys to come back once. Let’s see if he can keep it going with higher caliber recruits looking to go pro sooner.

He got guys to come back once. Let’s see if he can keep it going with higher caliber recruits looking to go pro sooner.
If Red wins the title next year and brings a solid core back and wins another title we wouldn't call him elite? Jim has 1 title and I would call him elite. He's won everywhere he goes and got better year after year at UConn to the point there's nowhere to go but down. Sign me up for that here.

The funny thing is nobody cares about UCONN anymore except UCONN fans but they have remained relevant

If Red wins the title next year and brings a solid core back and wins another title we wouldn't call him elite? Jim has 1 title and I would call him elite. He's won everywhere he goes and got better year after year at UConn to the point there's nowhere to go but down. Sign me up for that here.

I gotta see sustained success for a while to call guys elite. Could just be a semantic difference of opinion. I think I. The current environment we’re going to see a lot of whacky one-offs going forward.

I’d also add Duke.

(Amazing! God Bless America!)

That said - if any of these teams is playing another one:

I root for the meteor strike. :cool:
Don't forget about Kentucky. You can put them on this list as well.

I gotta see sustained success for a while to call guys elite. Could just be a semantic difference of opinion. I think I. The current environment we’re going to see a lot of whacky one-offs going forward.
How can 2 years in a row be a one off?

Much different than football right now I feel like basketball is trying to overhaul things. I’m happy we have a true center now that’s key because all of these deep runs have shown they have a highly competent big man. I worry about PG but I feel we will be way better defensively next year even with the loss of brown

That’s a loser cop out. They played the teams that were playing the best at that time.
Winning 6 in a row is hard.
Enjoy the make believe objectivity points. Here on planet Earth the 98 Broncos odds improved when the best team in the other conference lost.

How can 2 years in a row be a one off?

UConn brought everyone back, didn’t they? Most of the reason repeating is rare is because teams lose significant chunks from the first team. Hurley managed to avoid that. I’d like to see if that was a fluke or if he’s going to be able to do that consistently. “One-off” wasn’t meant to be directed entirely at Hurley/UConn though; I meant that we’re going to see more ‘not elite’ coaches winning championships in the coming years with how inconsistent the power schools are and how volatile free agency is.

Edit: UConn lost more players than I realized. Crap; maybe Hurley is elite. Ew.

Last edited:
They are going to pass UNC and tie Duke . Unreal.
It is unreal.

Hard to believe.

I cannot express how much I dislike the UConn Athletic Department.

But, I have to say - watching this UConn Men's Team is a pleasure. They play hard. They play under control. They set screens - they pick - they move the ball.

They play the way the game is supposed to play.

Donovan Clingan is a terrific player. He is a traditional center who, at times reminds me of a poor man's Bill Walton.

So, last night I found myself rooting for the Huskies - I could not believe that.

I'll root for them again on Monday night because they play basketball they are just really good.

Amazing the dog crap teams they've played in the finals. Would this be the first time since 99 they actually play a good team Monday?

I dislike UConn as much as the next guy but this is a tired narrative. UConn beat an absolutely stacked Duke team in the Final Four in 2004 and a Florida team who was pound-for-pound the best team in the 2014 season. UConn deserved their championships as much as we try to discredit them.

I dislike UConn as much as the next guy but this is a tired narrative. UConn beat an absolutely stacked Duke team in the Final Four in 2004 and a Florida team who was pound-for-pound the best team in the 2014 season. UConn deserved their championships as much as we try to discredit them.

I hate the Mutts too. But please don't paint with a broad brush and use "we" in describing the idiots who think titles are "diminished" based on who you play.
Give the devil his due- they deserve it. JMHO

I’ll be rooting for Purdue but UConn is a better team…better personnel.
However…the biggest difference may be in coaches.

Say what you will about Danny Hurley but he may be the best around now.
UConn is great defensively.
Their offense is tough to defend and uses some complicated sets to get consistently good shots.

Hurley has a winning system.
Matt Painter?
Has a talented big man so big that his shots almost can’t be defended.
Nothing special as coach.

I’ll be rooting for Purdue but UConn is a better team…better personnel.
However…the biggest difference may be in coaches.

Say what you will about Danny Hurley but he may be the best around now.
UConn is great defensively.
Their offense is tough to defend and uses some complicated sets to get consistently good shots.

Hurley has a winning system.
Matt Painter?
Has a talented big man so big that his shots almost can’t be defended.
Nothing special as coach.
Painter is an excellent coach and has been for awhile.

It is unreal.

Hard to believe.

I cannot express how much I dislike the UConn Athletic Department.

But, I have to say - watching this UConn Men's Team is a pleasure. They play hard. They play under control. They set screens - they pick - they move the ball.

They play the way the game is supposed to play.

Donovan Clingan is a terrific player. He is a traditional center who, at times reminds me of a poor man's Bill Walton.

So, last night I found myself rooting for the Huskies - I could not believe that.

I'll root for them again on Monday night because they play basketball they are just really good.
Clingan is an easy guy to root for. Plus the team plays hard. Purdue overall is not as talented. Edey is good but he is only one person and Clingan should be able to neutralize Edey.

I would be shocked if this game is less than 8 or 10 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom