Let's go friars | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's go friars

I was kind of hoping to see the Friar faithful rush the court.

Is that mean? :)

I've been saying for weeks that Uconn would not make the tourney. I think this puts the nail in the coffin.

Napier just kills this team and he plays worse than Scoop EVER played for us. UConn needs 2 wins to get into the tournament Pitt and their first BET to feel safe. Also, now that WVU won and UConn lost if WVU beats USF then the 8-9 game will between Seton Hall-West Virginia and UConn would play PC again in the first round of BET, and could lose to them again.

Yeah, right.

No tourney bid this year. No tourney bid next year. Their best players bolt to the draft. They have one recruit coming in this year. The only coach to bring them success is half dead.

I'd say UConn could very well fall back to where they were pre-Calhoun.

No tourney bid this year. No tourney bid next year. Their best players bolt to the draft. They have one recruit coming in this year. The only coach to bring them success is half dead.

I'd say UConn could very well fall back to where they were pre-Calhoun.

I'll bet you $1,000 that doesn't happen. Joyce knows where to find me and that I'm good for it.

Yeah, right.
Why not?

Presumably Drummond and Lamb are gone
Postseaon ban next year could lead to Ohraki transferring
Omar Calhoun, their ONLY commit next year hasn't said he's 100% still going to Storrs
That means next year they'll have Nappier, Boatright, Daniels, Giffey, Smith and Olander
Jim Calhoun with his health, the APR, losing his 2 (or 3) best players could very well retire
As of now they are still going to be in the Big East with Southern Methodist and Houston
They have no "obvious, clear cut" successor after Calhoun

It what can only be seen as an indictment against this year's bubble, UConn still has a decent shot getting in the field if they can beat Villanova and win their first game at MSG. But I'm not sure if they are capable of that at this point.

The field will have teams below .500 in conference - especially from the Big Ten.

I'll bet you $1,000 that doesn't happen. Joyce knows where to find me and that I'm good for it.
Why the f do you always come on here after UConn loses?

It what can only be seen as an indictment against this year's bubble, UConn still has a decent shot getting in the field if they can beat Villanova and win their first game at MSG. But I'm not sure if they are capable of that at this point.

The field will have teams below .500 in conference - especially from the Big Ten.
No doubt the bubble is extremely soft this year and UConn's resume as a whole is still one of the better ones. But losing 8 out of the last 11 (only wins were vs. DePaul, Nova and Seton Hall) is going to be a big red mark.

Why not?

Presumably Drummond and Lamb are gone
Postseaon ban next year could lead to Ohraki transferring
Omar Calhoun, their ONLY commit next year hasn't said he's 100% still going to Storrs
That means next year they'll have Nappier, Boatright, Daniels, Giffey, Smith and Olander
Jim Calhoun with his health, the APR, losing his 2 (or 3) best players could very well retire
As of now they are still going to be in the Big East with Southern Methodist and Houston
They have no "obvious, clear cut" successor after Calhoun
They're never going away, but they may easily be down for a few years.

Either way, if Calhoun leaves, whatever they once were is dead.

Napier just kills this team and he plays worse than Scoop EVER played for us. UConn needs 2 wins to get into the tournament Pitt and their first BET to feel safe. Also, now that WVU won and UConn lost if WVU beats USF then the 8-9 game will between Seton Hall-West Virginia and UConn would play PC again in the first round of BET, and could lose to them again.

Napier is awful.

I know we have had some teams in our past that were bullies when they were winning and whiny little girls when they weren't, but Napier just comes across as the personification of that mentality. I'm sure he's a great kid off the court or outside of basketball, but he's a bouncing/cheering/in-your-face clapping when UConn is winning. When they start getting punched back he seems to back down and then whine about his teammates to the press.

No doubt the bubble is extremely soft this year and UConn's resume as a whole is still one of the better ones. But losing 8 out of the last 11 (only wins were vs. DePaul, Nova and Seton Hall) is going to be a big red mark.

The committee doesn't consider when the wins/losses came any more. I think they should, but understand the reasoning why they don't.

They're never going away, but they may easily be down for a few years.

Either way, if Calhoun leaves, whatever they once were is dead.
How exactly do they plan on staying relevant as long as they'll be in the Big East and no clear clear successor to Calhoun?

Calhoun did a tremendous job of building them up from nothing, but all it takes is the wrong hire and 3 down years to destroy. Kids in 2015 won't care about Kemba Walker in 2011, period. However, if they do manage to join the ACC at somepoint I'll take all this back.

The committee doesn't consider when the wins/losses came any more. I think they should, but understand the reasoning why they don't.
I know they say they don't. But jesus, they're 5-11 since New Year's Day.

I know they say they don't. But jesus, they're 5-11 since New Year's Day.

Yeah, but they had no wins against anyone of any real consequence BEFORE New Year's Day.
;)

Why the f do you always come on here after UConn loses?

Give the man a break. zls44 is not the typical UConn fan.

I think it's very premature to think that UConn dies on the vine because the cards look stacked against them. Won't happen. Calhoun will be back. And why would Lamb and Drummond leave after the piss poor season they have had? Lamb has been inconsistent, as has Drummond. Drummond needs to get stronger and more intense to play in the NBA. I don't think either is ready, much like I don't think Dion and Fab are ready. But kids are kids and make not so great decisions sometimes.

I think it's very premature to think that UConn dies on the vine because the cards look stacked against them. Won't happen. Calhoun will be back. And why would Lamb and Drummond leave after the piss poor season they have had? Lamb has been inconsistent, as has Drummond. Drummond needs to get stronger and more intense to play in the NBA. I don't think either is ready, much like I don't think Dion and Fab are ready. But kids are kids and make not so great decisions sometimes.

Id agree normally but if their banned from the tourney for sure than their gone

I agree...UConn will get in

If this team loses to Pitt which would give them 11 BE losses there is no way in hell they get in aside from winning 3 in the BET. How many chances do you give a team? If I am a Husky fan I am rooting for every conference favorite to win their conference tournaments.

Calhoun will be back? That is far from a guarantee at this point. I know he's said he doesn't leave like this, but I think it's a health issue more than anything. If he came back next year with no chance of the NCAAs and without Drummond and Lamb, what's the point? To go 17-13 again?

You're crazy if you think they both stay. AD is the #2 pick, hands down. Lamb will still be in the lottery, he had 32 vs. Nova 2 games ago, he showed scouts what he could do last year. It's clear that he can't be the #1 guy, but he showed he can be an extremely good #2. No way he falls out of the top 10 in this draft.

Fab and Dion are on a level or 2 (or 3) below AD and Lamb as far as NBA draft potential right now.

I can think of three reasons.

First, Drummond is likely to go in the top 5 in this year's draft. Some projections have him going as high as #2 behind Davis from Kentucky. If that market value holds up, there is no way he returns.

Second, Lamb is universally regarded as a lottery pick, and a likely top ten. Possibly even in the 6-8 range.

Third, Uconn isn't going to the NCAA tournament next season. So what's the point in delaying the NBA paycheck? To come back and show more consistency in a season where they are lame ducks vis a vis the NCAA?

They are gone--no question about it.

If this team loses to Pitt which would give them 11 BE loses there is no way in hell they get in aside from winning 3 in the BET. How many chances do you give a team? If I am a Husky fan I am rooting for every conference favorite to win their conference tournaments.

Agree 100%--very astute post, Marsh.

I agree...UConn will get in
They probably will but I do not think they should, good for them its a soft bubble

3 wins in last 12, only 17 wins, under .500 in conference does not a tourney team make in my opinion.

Also agree zls is a good "dude" and does not deserve to catch crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom