Let's go friars | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let's go friars

I was always projecting UConn in because I had projected them at 9-9. This loss is certainly the one that puts them squarely on the in/out line, needing the Nova win, and hoping for a lack of bubble busters.

I can think of three reasons.

First, Drummond is likely to go in the top 5 in this year's draft. Some projections have him going as high as #2 behind Davis from Kentucky.

Second, Lamb is universally regarded as a lottery pick, and a likely top ten. Possibly even in the 6-8 range.

Third, Uconn isn't going to the NCAA tournament next season. So what's the point in delaying the NBA paycheck? To come back and show more consistency in a season where they are lame ducks vis a vis the NCAA?

They are gone--no question about it.

Both are long gone. No chance in hell they come back.

The last Big East team, to make the Tourney with a losing Big East record was Seton Hall - 18 years ago.

Drummond needs to get stronger and more intense to play in the NBA.

Guys don't get more intense in college. Guys like him will only drop the longer they stay in college.

If he's top 5, and with that size and potential I'd imagine he should be, then he better go now.

11 losses they have to be out.

9-9 - safely in around 9-11 seed
8-10 - UConn fan has to be anxious watching Selection Sunday
7=11 - UConn fan needs to watch the NIT selection show.

11 losses they have to be out.

9-9 - safely in around 9-11 seed
8-10 - UConn fan has to be anxious watching Selection Sunday
7=11 - UConn fan needs to watch the NIT selection show.

Well seeing they already have 10 losses you can take the 9-9 out of the equation.

Well seeing they already have 10 losses you can take the 9-9 out of the equation.

Soon to be 11 after Pitt beats their ass in the Pete.

No tourney bid this year. No tourney bid next year. Their best players bolt to the draft. They have one recruit coming in this year. The only coach to bring them success is half dead.

I'd say UConn could very well fall back to where they were pre-Calhoun.
I'll bet you $1,000 that doesn't happen. Joyce knows where to find me and that I'm good for it.
which part? I'm good for it? are you 6'6" 250, ask CTO?

Give the man a break. zls44 is not the typical UConn fan.

I think it's very premature to think that UConn dies on the vine because the cards look stacked against them. Won't happen. Calhoun will be back. And why would Lamb and Drummond leave after the piss poor season they have had? Lamb has been inconsistent, as has Drummond. Drummond needs to get stronger and more intense to play in the NBA. I don't think either is ready, much like I don't think Dion and Fab are ready. But kids are kids and make not so great decisions sometimes.

Pete---every mock draft I have seen has Drummond in the top-3 (of these 4 I have linked, three of them have him 2nd pick, and the other one third). So even if he is not ready or strong enough as of yet, you still have to take the huge early lottery money if you're gonna be top-3. Back after the '03 season, JB actually told Melo to go for this same reason.

http://www.nbadraft.net/

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-mock-draft-21312

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

http://www.mynbadraft.com/2012-NBA-Mock-Draft

Since Drummond is a non-scholarship player, do transfer rules still apply to him? I suspect they do, but just wanted to verify.

Really hard to believe that the past 2 years in conference Uconn is 16-19

The last Big East team, to make the Tourney with a losing Big East record was Seton Hall - 18 years ago.

Ummm. Syracuse was 7-9 in 2006.

you can imagine that UK may run into these problems if they keep having everyone leave after a year, right?

I hope so. I may be proven wrong this year, but I don't think you can ever win a title with so many one and doners. It also seems like there needs to be some consequences for basically never having a player graduate.

IF UConn does lose this game; and IF they don't make the NCAAs. I think UConn basketball as we knew it is dead.
Really?

Of late, Yukon is a team of extremes. If Calhoun recovers, I expect them to be back with a fury in 2013-2014 for his potential finale. Syracuse may be glad that they've moved on by then.

I think UConn finds a way in. Even Lunardi after tonight's loss still has them in and not even as one of the last 4 in. I bet they make it and are placed in the East. Watch us play them again in the East Regional in Boston.

I think UConn finds a way in.
Only if Calhoun is back. With Blaney, I don't see them playing on Thursday... I doubt that's enough.

I think UConn finds a way in. Even Lunardi after tonight's loss still has them in and not even as one of the last 4 in. I bet they make it and are placed in the East. Watch us play them again in the East Regional in Boston.
UConn could have all but clinched a spot with a win tonight and vs. Pitt. But you'd have to figure some of these other "on the fence" teams will make a run and a few mid-majors will win conference tourneys that shouldn't. They absolutely control their own destiny but they just look dead in the water right now.

I can think of three reasons.

First, Drummond is likely to go in the top 5 in this year's draft. Some projections have him going as high as #2 behind Davis from Kentucky. If that market value holds up, there is no way he returns.

Second, Lamb is universally regarded as a lottery pick, and a likely top ten. Possibly even in the 6-8 range.

Third, Uconn isn't going to the NCAA tournament next season. So what's the point in delaying the NBA paycheck? To come back and show more consistency in a season where they are lame ducks vis a vis the NCAA?

They are gone--no question about it.

Then you might as well throw Boatright in there too. He was probably a 2-and-done player anyway, but he may decide to leave too. And you're probably right about Lamb and Drummond, but it doesn't mean they are going to flourish in the pro's. Drummond has loads of potential, for sure, but if he plays like a zombie, how long does he stick? Lamb is the same way. Has a ton of potential, but he's rail thin and not the greatest shooter. Both will need a lot of work at the next level to be long term players. If UConn doesn't get cleared to play in the tourney next season, they probably will leave. I just don't think that making a long term career decision based on whether or not you play in the dance is smart. They will still get a ton of exposure at UConn next season.

And don't count Calhoun out. He has kept most of his star players for more than one season. I think he's the biggest key to how next year's team looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom