Let's go friars | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Let's go friars

Then you might as well throw Boatright in there too. He was probably a 2-and-done player anyway, but he may decide to leave too. And you're probably right about Lamb and Drummond, but it doesn't mean they are going to flourish in the pro's. Drummond has loads of potential, for sure, but if he plays like a zombie, how long does he stick? Lamb is the same way. Has a ton of potential, but he's rail thin and not the greatest shooter. Both will need a lot of work at the next level to be long term players. If UConn doesn't get cleared to play in the tourney next season, they probably will leave. I just don't think that making a long term career decision based on whether or not you play in the dance is smart. They will still get a ton of exposure at UConn next season.

And don't count Calhoun out. He has kept most of his star players for more than one season. I think he's the biggest key to how next year's team looks.

Pete--I want to be clear: I wasn't talking about their NBA readiness, whether either of those players will flourish in the pros, etc. I also make no predictions about how their respective careers turn out. And frankly, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they both ended up being busts.

I'm just responding to your question about why they wouldn't return. And with a 2013 NCAA ban looming on the horizon, I can't remotely envision any circumstances where either player would return.

Then you might as well throw Boatright in there too. He was probably a 2-and-done player anyway, but he may decide to leave too. And you're probably right about Lamb and Drummond, but it doesn't mean they are going to flourish in the pro's. Drummond has loads of potential, for sure, but if he plays like a zombie, how long does he stick? Lamb is the same way. Has a ton of potential, but he's rail thin and not the greatest shooter. Both will need a lot of work at the next level to be long term players. If UConn doesn't get cleared to play in the tourney next season, they probably will leave. I just don't think that making a long term career decision based on whether or not you play in the dance is smart. They will still get a ton of exposure at UConn next season.

And don't count Calhoun out. He has kept most of his star players for more than one season. I think he's the biggest key to how next year's team looks.
Doesn't matter if they flourish or not. When you're pretty much a guaranteed top 10 pick (Lamb) and a guaranteed top 3 pick (AD), you go. NBA takes chance on ability. And I'm a believer that you can absolute improve yourself at the next level, and while it might take you 3 or 4 years, you can still be an effective player even if you started slow.

What if they come back and struggle even more next year and their stock plummets? What if they have a nagging injury and aren't healthy all year? This risks outweigh the money.

I like Boatright honestly, but he has to get a lot bigger and hasn't shown enough to be close to a 1st round pick yet, it took Kemba 3 years, it'll take Ryan at least that.

Calhoun is not notorious for taking 1-and-done guys, AD was a special case; he was arguably the biggest recruit in the programs history and was from CT. Most of his NBA players didn't come in very highly established, he made them into that.

Doesn't matter if they flourish or not. When you're pretty much a guaranteed top 10 pick (Lamb) and a guaranteed top 3 pick (AD), you go. NBA takes chance on ability. And I'm a believer that you can absolute improve yourself at the next level, and while it might take you 3 or 4 years, you can still be an effective player even if you started slow.

What if they come back and struggle even more next year and their stock plummets? What if they have a nagging injury and aren't healthy all year? This risks outweigh the money.

I like Boatright honestly, but he has to get a lot bigger and hasn't shown enough to be close to a 1st round pick yet, it took Kemba 3 years, it'll take Ryan at least that.

Calhoun is not notorious for taking 1-and-done guys, AD was a special case; he was arguably the biggest recruit in the programs history and was from CT. Most of his NBA players didn't come in very highly established, he made them into that.

All valid points. I retract my stupidity. :bat: Bad Pete. Bad.

I'll bet you $1,000 that doesn't happen. Joyce knows where to find me and that I'm good for it.

What exactly are you willing to bet on? If it is with regard to UConn making the NCAA tournament then I might be interested in some of that action.

I think UConn finds a way in. Even Lunardi after tonight's loss still has them in and not even as one of the last 4 in. I bet they make it and are placed in the East. Watch us play them again in the East Regional in Boston.

I don't see it unless they beat Pitt and then win at least two BET games. They are the defending champs and their former AD is the Selection Committee Chairman. That's the good news. But their resume stinks. RPI has them with the most difficult schedule in the country. That is hilarious. Take a gander at the schedule that Duke or Michigan State played. Not even close. Every time the Huskies lose they fall two spots in the RPI. Maybe after ten more losses they'd fall out of the top 50. It is a testament to the power of that goofy index that people actually think they merit consideration.

I don't see it unless they beat Pitt and then win at least two BET games. They are the defending champs and their former AD is the Selection Committee Chairman. That's the good news. But their resume stinks. RPI has them with the most difficult schedule in the country. That is hilarious. Take a gander at the schedule that Duke or Michigan State played. Not even close. Every time the Huskies lose they fall two spots in the RPI. Maybe after ten more losses they'd fall out of the top 50. It is a testament to the power of that goofy index that people actually think they merit consideration.
Considering their former AD got fired I don't see that helping them. He has to leave the room anyway when UConn comes up.

No team that can't win at least half of its conference games belongs in the Big Dance. That includes sub-.500 teams that win their conference tourney. UCONN has earned its way into the NIT this year. Let's hope they don't find lightning in the proverbial bottle two years in a row.

Considering their former AD got fired I don't see that helping them. He has to leave the room anyway when UConn comes up.

Yeah, I doubt Jeff Hathaway has warm and fuzzy feelings towards Susan Herbst and Company.

It's still a nat champ sandwich, and it's delicious.
Good thing for that, or you'd be in Notre Dame territory (actually, worse). Using 6 game stretch over a 3 week period to justify 53 others over a 9 month period though...

Yeah I'm sure that leaving the room thing makes a big difference. lol.

No team that can't win at least half of its conference games belongs in the Big Dance. That includes sub-.500 teams that win their conference tourney. UCONN has earned its way into the NIT this year. Let's hope they don't find lightning in the proverbial bottle two years in a row.

Amen. Oughta be a law.

UConn does have the 6th best SOS out of conference and their RPI is somewhere around 100.

Actually I read (and posted the link) that he has to leave the room whenever any BE school is discussed since he is now employed by the BE.

UConn does have the 6th best SOS out of conference and their RPI is somewhere around 100.

UConn has the 8th best SOS out of conference and their RPI is 30. Not sure where you get your #s. Their real rpi should be somewhere between the 30 and 100.

Good thing for that, or you'd be in Notre Dame territory (actually, worse). Using 6 game stretch over a 3 week period to justify 53 others over a 9 month period though...

Not exactly sure what you're trying to say about ND but they deserve to be in the tournament. they won 9 BE games in a row and have a good shot at finishing 13-5.

The hardest thing to ignore with UConn is its top 50 record, including 3 wins on neutral/road courts. And the fact it has maintained a good RPI (as flawed as it is) keeps them in the have a look category.

UConn 5-7 (Note I added at USF because they are in top 50 right nwo)
Seton Hall 3-6
St Joes 2-5
Northerstern 2-9
BYU 2-5
West Virginia 4-8
South Florida 1-8
Miami 2-6
Texas 3-9
Xavier 3-6
Washington 0-4
VCU 1-2
Central Florida 2-5
Miss St 2-5
Dayton 4-3
NC St 1-9
Illinois 5-10

UConn has the 8th best SOS out of conference and their RPI is 30. Not sure where you get your #s. Their real rpi should be somewhere between the 30 and 100.
Under .500 in-conference, less than 20 wins, lost 9 out of last 12. Do we really need to go on?

They'll beat Pitt in an emotionally charged game and may win on Tuesday. They won't make it to Thursday, and hence may play again at MSG a few weeks later.

With us, Pitt, and WVa leaving we got to witness one of the new elite rivalries in the Big East last night. The future is definitely bright for the Big East.

This UConn team may be the most underachieving college basketball team I've ever seen. Seriously, only Kentucky has more talent. Yet, they can't help but lose game after game. It's ridiculous.

The reason why i think uconn is in trouble is because teams like gonzaga...wichita st...murray st...these teams had better win their conference tourneys. If these teams dont then i would be in panic mode come selection sunday. Throw in creighton as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Under .500 in-conference, less than 20 wins, lost 9 out of last 12. Do we really need to go on?

Yes. That is all antiquated criteria and doesn't really say anything about them in comparison to the Xaviers of the world who have 1 or 2 decent wins and none since Christmas.
Their 3 'rematch' games were ND, SU & Seton Hall, which makes for a much tougher than average schedule in the BE.

The reason why i think uconn is in trouble is because teams like gonzaga...wichita st...murray st...these teams had better win their conference tourneys. If these teams dont then i would be in panic mode come selection sunday. Throw in creighton as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

There are quite a few other real risk.

The A-10 is pretty balanced, and a St.Joes, Dayton, Lasalle or UMass can win that thing.

PAC-10 can get three bids if the right team wins their tourney

CUSA - Southern Miss and Memphis are in, but there some solid teams in that conference like Marshall, Central Florida, Tulsa that can possibly win that tourney.

You also want either Drexel or VCU to win the CAA

Oral Roberts has a chance of an at large from the Summit, and South Dakota St has a pretty good team.

Until tourney week, I always view the last 4 in, as likely out due to bubble busters.

There are are some others.
The A-10 is pretty balanced, and a St.Joes, Dayton, Lasalle or UMass can win that thing.
PAC-10 can get three bids if the right team wins their tourney
CUSA - Southern Miss and Memphis are in, but there some solid teams in that conference like Marshall, Central Florida, Tulsa that can possibly win that tourney.

Until tourney week, I always view the last 4 in, as likely out due to bubble busters.

Thats what I mean. People keep saying that Uconn is a lock. No way in hell are they a lock. Winning solves this puzzle and if they beat Pitt and win a game or two in the BET then yes they are probably safe. I still would hold the rosary beads on selection sunday especialy if a couple of teams steal bids. I think you will see a record number of bid stealing going on this year IMO. Championship week will be turned upside down and completely chaotic this year with all of these conferences that have teams that are in regardless who may be vulnerable in their post season tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom