Let's Play the "What If" Game... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's Play the "What If" Game...

If UConn would play their games at MSG I think atleast the game makes some sense. I just see no reason to ever play a game @ UConn again unless they are in the same conference or the B1G-ACC challenge.

Playing at UConn is a no-win proposition. Playing @ Gtown, Nova, SJU make a lot more sense.

I think it would be something at MSG. I remember reading about this not to long ago, that we were in discussion with them. Now I can't find it. Otherwise you are right, no need to go to Hartford or Storrs. Why help them if we don't have to.

I think it would be something at MSG. I remember reading about this not to long ago, that we were in discussion with them. Now I can't find it. Otherwise you are right, no need to go to Hartford or Storrs. Why help them if we don't have to.
I mean playing them in a Jimmy V Classic game at MSG would be the most I would ever do. Their fanbase hates us and some of our fanbase hate them. I feel no different playing UConn than Louisville.
We don't need to waste a game @ UConn our fans get mistreated at their home games. We will get significant alumni at games against Gtown, Nova, SJU. Let them scorn about BC and leave them alone.

We CAN'T slip up against LA Tech as well. That is going to be a tough game mark my words. @Notre Dame will be tough since they have terrific guard play. I don't see us being disciplined and poised enough to beat a super fundamentally sound Virginia team. If we can beat one of Miami and UNC and not slip up in those BC/VA Tech/GA Tech games then I can see us being in the 8-10 seed range which I would gladly take.

We CAN'T slip up against LA Tech as well. That is going to be a tough game mark my words. @Notre Dame will be tough since they have terrific guard play. I don't see us being disciplined and poised enough to beat a super fundamentally sound Virginia team. If we can beat one of Miami and UNC and not slip up in those BC/VA Tech/GA Tech games then I can see us being in the 8-10 seed range which I would gladly take.
I think we are team that will end up in 7-10 seed range. Which is fine and if McCollough will have developed over the course of a season our front line could scare a top seed in the tournament.

@UNC sets up as a classic road game we could steal as they can't shoot and our big rebound we could beat them on the road. Miami is underrated team will be tough to beat. I don't expect to beat ND on the road.

I have a hard time believing that we will not win at least 2 big games in the dome this year. We always beat someone good at home. Don't forget Virginia has never been to the dome, that's a huge advantage for us. I'm not downplaying any of our opponents, but I think we should take care of business is most of the games we are supposed to win.

Also Long Beach State is a tough game at home, maybe tougher than LA Tech.

upload_2014-12-4_12-8-35.jpeg

I think we will slip up and lose one we shouldn't somewhere but I also feel we put some good games together against the better teams and steal one big scalp.

I think we will slip up and lose one we shouldn't somewhere but I also feel we put some good games together against the better teams and steal one big scalp.

That should (well, could) have been Michigan

Even though we lost @ Michigan it was still away to a top 25 tourney team and we had a good showing. I know it doesn't make sense but the committee gives you credit for that. Add in Cal neutral site loss, Iowa neutral site win, St. John's home win and @ Nova win or loose and the OOC is strong. If we lose to St. John's and Nova its not as impressive but win either of those its pretty good.

If the committee gave credit for losing road games to good teams, Long Beach State would be a lock.

What if we lose to Nova, but win the rest of our OOC games. That puts us at 10-3.

What if we go 10-8 in the ACC (certainly not unrealistic).

What if we are then 20-11. Are we a bubble team? Are we locked in... would we be in trouble if we lost 1st rd ACC game? THis seems to be about where we will end up this year.

I think this would have us comfortably in, somewhere near a 7 seed.

we'd be dangerously close to bubble. especially if we dont win an acc tourny game.

and this is exactly the type of year i think we'll have

I always felt like SU should have played a road game against Colgate or Binghamton, etc each year just to inflate the RPI. A road win against a good team should count more, but just playing a road game shouldn't be a positive.
you have to game it a little, though; you don't want to play them in their little bandbox gyms; make them road games for the purpose of RPI but quasi-neutral site games by moving them to bigger arenas. Play Binghamton in the Broome County Arena or any one of the Buffalo schools in the Buffalo Auditorium or Albany at whatever the Pepsi Arena is being called these days (don't play Sienna there, though, because it is their actual home court)

you have to game it a little, though; you don't want to play them in their little bandbox gyms; make them road games for the purpose of RPI but quasi-neutral site games by moving them to bigger arenas. Play Binghamton in the Broome County Arena or any one of the Buffalo schools in the Buffalo Auditorium or Albany at whatever the Pepsi Arena is being called these days (don't play Sienna there, though, because it is their actual home court)

Do those still count as road games for the RPI? I'm not 100% sure how it works in something like that

What if we lose to Nova, but win the rest of our OOC games. That puts us at 10-3.

What if we go 10-8 in the ACC (certainly not unrealistic).

What if we are then 20-11. Are we a bubble team? Are we locked in... would we be in trouble if we lost 1st rd ACC game? THis seems to be about where we will end up this year.

I think this would have us comfortably in, somewhere near a 7 seed.

That would also be pre-ACC tournament, so you'd need to factor those games into the eventual NCAA candidacy / prospective seeding, as well.

Do those still count as road games for the RPI? I'm not 100% sure how it works in something like that
if they don't then we should never play the little NYS teams away from the Carrier Dome. Can't give up that revenue and incur 100% of the risk unless there is something of greater value in the bargain.

the same time that a 20 win big east team doesn't get in. Us.

First one ever to not get in with 20 wins in the big east to I believe.

Exactly. We got screwed by the committee once for having a weak nonconference schedule. They can't pull that crap this year.
If we lose at Nova we will have no big OOC wins. Iowa would be the best one and the value of that win will depend on what they do in the B1G. We haven't been in this situation where we have no OOC win against a ranked team since 07-08. One or more high profile wins are important to the selection committee. Since we are not getting them OOC (if not Nova) the games against the top 4 teams in the ACC will be crucial but getting a win against any of Duke, UVA, Ville, UNC is no sure thing.

I always felt like SU should have played a road game against Colgate or Binghamton, etc each year just to inflate the RPI. A road win against a good team should count more, but just playing a road game shouldn't be a positive.

Va Tech tried that one year by playing some horrible teams on the road. Didn't help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom