Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
If customers aren't complying what happens. Do you want them to also be bouncers, physically enforcing rules that they may not support because they're negatively impacting their business?

Or do they call the (gulp) police? While they (gulp) still can?
Peer pressure. Greatest power in the world.

If customers aren't complying what happens. Do you want them to also be bouncers, physically enforcing rules that they may not support because they're negatively impacting their business?

Or do they call the (gulp) police? While they (gulp) still can?

That'll go over well. Irony is fun.

Sometimes well intentioned people simply forget. Reality is we don't have enforcement for someone who walks into a shoe store without a mask. No one is getting shut down over that.

Last edited:

Sometimes well intentioned people simply forget. Reality is we don't have enforcement for someone who walks into a shoe store without a mask. No one is getting shut down over that.

We ask owners of bars/restaurants to be responsible for patron behavior all the time. Why can't a shop keeper be asked to do the same?

no, nobody is getting shut down for that. But they have been down for their business not following the law or the business blatantly not imposing the rules on customers. If some random person walks in without a mask, that’s not getting anyone closed down. The problem in nys is manpower. In CNY they claim to have only 4 people that can rest to a complaint and they’ve gotten over 600. NYS is at 60,000 or more.

We ask owners of bars/restaurants to be responsible for patron behavior all the time. Why can't a shop keeper be asked to do the same?

Of course.

Shopkeeper has his nose in something. Looks up and a couple of walk-ins happen to forget a mask but want to purchase something.

Different than running a devil may care bar. I think that's what the poster is getting at.

no, nobody is getting shut down for that. But they have been down for their business not following the law or the business blatantly not imposing the rules on customers. If some random person walks in without a mask, that’s not getting anyone closed down. The problem in nys is manpower. In CNY they claim to have only 4 people that can rest to a complaint and they’ve gotten over 600. NYS is at 60,000 or more.

I *think* that's what the poster is getting at, simple things as opposed to den of inequity stuff.

I don't know if you guys have a big Nextdoor following. It's the utmost place for complaints to get logged and massive fights with middle-aged types to take place. But yeah enforcement is next to impossible.

One thing I am absolutely sure of is, if fans are allowed into the dome for football or any sport, regardless of what that number is, SU will definitely follow whatever the state/county rules are at the time. There is no doubt about that in my mind.

I *think* that's what the poster is getting at, simple things as opposed to den of inequity stuff.

I don't know if you guys have a big Nextdoor following. It's the utmost place for complaints to get logged and massive fights with middle-aged types to take place. But yeah enforcement is next to impossible.

ha. We have a fairly active Nextdoor app. Sometimes it looks like our OT board. But it is a great app for many things.

To complicate things further, perhaps I am at very low risk. I go out and catch it someplace, and I give it to someone who is at risk.

FWIW, the faculty I know are basically ready to revolt about having to go back and teach in person classes in the fall.
No one can make them. Okay but I hope they realise if they do not teach they probably do not get paid.

1) When I say life "stops," there is context around that. I don't literally mean sit at home and do absolutely nothing, although I have a co-worker whose family is literally like that. They do not go out in public, have all their groceries bought through instacart etc, do not interact with anyone. I know a few others like that as well, so there are people like this, sadly. They are spooked, anxious and have more or less stopped living.

2) It's also summer time. Kids are out of school and have been cooped up for months. They want to get out and spend time with their friends. I'm 38, married & have 3 kids. I'm not out partying much at all these days. People in the 18-30 age bracket are, which is why there is a spike. They are out more than us because a lot of us have jobs, families and just overall more responsibilities and less free time. And when they are out, if they are not following the rules, then it is up to the establishment they are at to make them, or tell them to leave. If it's not being policed, then that's where the problem is.

I have friends who are in their mid 30's to 40 who have been out to a couple bars in the Syracuse area since the reopening. They told me there were people all around the bar, sitting there just as normal, side by side. And many of the folks sitting at the bar were regulars and "older" people in the 40-60 age range. I specifically asked a friend of mine what it was like, and he said the 18-25 year old bartenders/servers are afraid to say anything to the regulars because 1) they're young and intimidated and 2) the establishments need the money, so there's a chance they're told to look the other way.

It's certainly not perfect. I haven't been inside a restaurant or bar since the reopening, but I see no problem with others doing so. The younger crowd sees the data and knows their risk factor is much lower, hence they go out knowing that risk. I don't think after they go out and party, they're going over to grandma & grandpa's, and if they are...well that is on them. I know my parents (mid 60's) aren't having lengthy interactions with people, and they are very healthy for their age. It's all about mitigating risk.

150 percent spot on. Especially on the enforcement issue from at restraunts and bars. We went out for dinner our family the first night friday the 12th to a local place that specializes in BBQ (Not Dinosaur bbq) It was me my girlfriend our daughter and my girlfriend parents. We walked in wearing our masks and were seated in the big booth in the corner of the restraunt so had the view of the place with people entering and leaving. Yes everybody i saw entering had their masks on entering (till right before we left had some employees from another local restraunt meetup together at the bar, then a group of golfers met up at the bar and a couple entered without wearing masks) also that group that metup at the bar where stools were removed off to the side took some stools and added them nobody said anything to them also half the people i saw leaving while we were there didn't wear their masks leaving nobody said anything. Also the layout its a big place so yes booths and tables were blocked off and all employees were wearing masks. The people i saw that went to the bar and the couple bartenders seemed to have known them and welcomed them back the bartenders were young women in mid 20s early 30s. Can't expect bartenders and servers to enforce on regulars they know who have been coming into their establishments 2 to 3 times a week for sometimes decades spending money.

The people i saw that went to the bar and the couple bartenders seemed to have known them and welcomed them back the bartenders were young women in mid 20s early 30s. Can't expect bartenders and servers to enforce on regulars they know who have been coming into their establishments 2 to 3 times a week for sometimes decades spending money.
Yes - yes they can (and should) if those are the rules. What a stupid post.

Picking right up where you left off.

Yes - yes they can (and should) if those are the rules. What a stupid post.

Picking right up where you left off.

I was agreeing with the original poster. Put yourself in the shoes of the 20 something bartender or server when dealing with the 50 year old regular who you see 2 to 3 times a week and has been going to the place for decades.

I was agreeing with the original poster. Put yourself in the shoes of the 20 something bartender or server when dealing with the 50 year old regular who you see 2 to 3 times a week and has been going to the place for decades.

Perhaps this lack of following/enforcing rules in phase 3 is why we won’t have gyms, theaters, and malls in phase 4?

Perhaps this lack of following/enforcing rules in phase 3 is why we won’t have gyms, theaters, and malls in phase 4?

Where are rules not being followed ? If cases 2 weeks almost after phase 3 started are still falling along with hospitalizations.

Where are rules not being followed ? If cases 2 weeks almost after phase 3 started are still falling along with hospitalizations.

In the bars, as you just said.

The sooner everybody cooperates, the sooner we get back to normal.

In the bars, as you just said.

The sooner everybody cooperates, the sooner we get back to normal.

Cuomo called out Bars/Restraunts in Manhattan and the Hamptons. Don't include CNY cause you don't know.

Cuomo called out Bars/Restraunts in Manhattan and the Hamptons. Don't include CNY cause you don't know.

mcmahon did the same Monday. In fact he even said he has fined some bars/restaurants.

Just saw it happen Yesterday at the wildcat, they are doing a great job of enforcing delicately the mask mandate when we’re not sitting.

An old timer came in without a mask sat at the bar and they asked him when he gets up to use a mask they provided. They are doing a great job at that place as I’ve been many times already.

150 percent spot on. Especially on the enforcement issue from at restraunts and bars. We went out for dinner our family the first night friday the 12th to a local place that specializes in BBQ (Not Dinosaur bbq) It was me my girlfriend our daughter and my girlfriend parents. We walked in wearing our masks and were seated in the big booth in the corner of the restraunt so had the view of the place with people entering and leaving. Yes everybody i saw entering had their masks on entering (till right before we left had some employees from another local restraunt meetup together at the bar, then a group of golfers met up at the bar and a couple entered without wearing masks) also that group that metup at the bar where stools were removed off to the side took some stools and added them nobody said anything to them also half the people i saw leaving while we were there didn't wear their masks leaving nobody said anything. Also the layout its a big place so yes booths and tables were blocked off and all employees were wearing masks. The people i saw that went to the bar and the couple bartenders seemed to have known them and welcomed them back the bartenders were young women in mid 20s early 30s. Can't expect bartenders and servers to enforce on regulars they know who have been coming into their establishments 2 to 3 times a week for sometimes decades spending money.

I agree. The limp lizard should not depend on their bartenders and servers to be responsible to always enforce the law/rules. It should be the manager on duty.

I agree. The limp lizard should not depend on their bartenders and servers to be responsible to always enforce the law/rules. It should be the manager on duty.

It wasn't the Limp Lizard. But the point remains the same.

FACTS.

I HAD to do some work at a local beach today. About 5,000 people(very reduced) . The largest age group I saw was retiree's. About 10 masks for the few thousand I saw. Yeah. It's the 25 year olds. smh.
I was at beach on Sunday...I didn't see any masks on the beach but everyone social distanced their groups. Even in Florida lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.