Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was agreeing with the original poster. Put yourself in the shoes of the 20 something bartender or server when dealing with the 50 year old regular who you see 2 to 3 times a week and has been going to the place for decades.
Tough. Rules are rules. If the employees can't enforce the rules, they need to be trained, reassigned, or fired. Or else the employer is going to fined and/or shut down. This isn't a hard concept.

And it makes no difference if the customer is a 50-year regular or a newbie. Rules are rules. Even if you don't like it, rules are rules. And there are consequences for not following the rules.

Put yourself in the shoes of the 20 something bartender or server when dealing with the 50 year old regular who you see 2 to 3 times a week and has been going to the place for decades.

That doesn't seem like a big deal.

I had jobs as a teenager in the 90s where I had to deliver undesirable news to adult customers and I sucked it up and did it because that was my job and I wanted my $6 an hour to buy N64 games.

For God's sake, we are the midst of a global pandemic. The country is still hemorrhaging lives due to this and we're worried about offending bar regulars?

Tough. Rules are rules. If the employees can't enforce the rules, they need to be trained, reassigned, or fired. Or else the employer is going to fined and/or shut down. This isn't a hard concept.

And it makes no difference if the customer is a 50-year regular or a newbie. Rules are rules. Even if you don't like it, rules are rules. And there are consequences for not following the rules.

I agree with your sentiment, unfortunately I don't think it's that cut & dry. These places want to operate and need to make money to survive. Early indications (from the few things I've heard), is that it's not being enforced the way you (and I, and probably most) would like it to be.

You can forget about fans in the stands or anything.

just on a call with the liquor authority...this is a direct quote

“these restrictions are going to last a very very long time. There is no end in sight for these restrictions to be ever lifted.”

“these restrictions are going to last a very very long time. There is no end in sight for these restrictions to be ever lifted.”

Fauci confident Vaccine by early 2021 and be able to be mast produced and available to public by late spring 2021 early Summer with possiblity of have controlled or eliminated virus for good then by end 2021.

which specific restrictions?

My Dad is 86, Mom 81. Until 2 years ago my Dad climbed and rafted with me. Not anymore as he determined the risk was to great. I back country skied until until last year when i determined i could no longer safely do it.
Obviously these risk are different than the virus and yes everyone should be responsible. The problem is that we all know that is impossible. People do selfish, dumb self centered things and their actions have always effected others.
Pregnant women who drink
Second hand smoke
BIG Mac life choices
Drunk driving
Dont play with matches forest fires.
We are humans and humans make errors.
My point is be responsible for your own actions and decisions regarding this virus. But dont expect everyone else to.
If you are concerned that others are not going to or havnt followed the rules avoid them. Dont go out. Dont go to the store. Dont go to work. Dont go to the game. Self isolate. Control what you can control but realize that others are going to make choices based on their situation, their personal risk assessment, with little or no regard for others because that is what Humans have always done and will continue to do.
Wait, what? Anyone that’s concerned about risk can’t work? Who’s paying the bills then? The selfish humans that don’t want to take simple precautions???????

I miss cuserunner. Hope he’s back someday. Entered in the middle of a pandemic and was an absolute force. You have to admire the persistence and ability to completely disregard actual facts and reality. Hard to imagine he was actually a person, with a business analytics degree no less. I wish I could simply ignore things as easily— true talent.

Imo he was a board legend. An absolute legend. Until we meet again...
It’s happened. And not a minute too soon.

We don’t have a huge crowd game on the schedule for 2020. And lots of the loyal core are gonna opt for TV this year for obvious reasons. 16k football 10k hoops is probably as much as they can sell especially considering 1/3 of those numbers will be forced to remain in nosebleeds.

I just hope no one who opts out loses priority.

That doesn't seem like a big deal.

I had jobs as a teenager in the 90s where I had to deliver undesirable news to adult customers and I sucked it up and did it because that was my job and I wanted my $6 an hour to buy N64 games.

For God's sake, we are the midst of a global pandemic. The country is still hemorrhaging lives due to this and we're worried about offending bar regulars?
I can picture it: "I'm sorry sir, the private booths are closed for cleaning. You'll have to come back tomorrow. The magazine racks are still open, however. "

We don’t have a huge crowd game on the schedule for 2020. And lots of the loyal core are gonna opt for TV this year for obvious reasons. 16k football 10k hoops is probably as much as they can sell especially considering 1/3 of those numbers will be forced to remain in nosebleeds.

I just hope no one who opts out loses priority.
What if they install far-UVC lamps in the Dome? A Columbia University study found these lights killed 99.9% of the coronavirus germ.

What if they install far-UVC lamps in the Dome? A Columbia University study found these lights killed 99.9% of the coronavirus germ.

I’d guess the roof is too high. That study couldn’t have been done from a couple hundred feet.

I think it’s all pretty simple and being a dome no reason to question it. Mask on the concourse but when distanced at your seat you can take it off. They gotta let a man drink his dome foams right and it’s not worth letting folks in if they can’t sell people dome foams. I think lots of schools will OK limited capacity outdoor football but close hoops to everyone but the highest donors. So we might be lucky to have the Dome.

Need sufficient exposure time to the UV light to kill it which means very significant intensity, which means very large banks of light. It my experience the maintenance of UV lights suffer after the initial install because no one wants to pay for the replacement bulbs. Times have changed, but its too early to tell if behaviors and buying habits have.

It will probably be a little disappointing when they say we need to take your temperature and I drop my drawers. Only to find out their using temporal lobe thermometers. Sir, we just need to swipe your forehead!

Wait, not disappointing, I meant embarrassing.
" Sir this is the football stadium, i think cornhole was moved to the quad"

Need sufficient exposure time to the UV light to kill it which means very significant intensity, which means very large banks of light. It my experience the maintenance of UV lights suffer after the initial install because no one wants to pay for the replacement bulbs. Times have changed, but its too early to tell if behaviors and buying habits have.
Not according to the study. A dose of 222 mm at 2 millijoules/cm2 showed virus inactivity of 90% after 8 minutes and 99.9% after 25 minutes. They used a single 12 watt bulb at 22 cm from the tube containing the virus. Obviously, the Dome would likely require several bulbs at a higher wattage, but it might very well be feasible.
The study...
"suggests that it may be feasible and safe to have the lamps providing continuous low-dose far-UVC exposure in public places – potentially reducing the probability of person-to-person transmission of coronavirus as well as other seasonal viruses such as influenza. "
The Columbia University study results were released yesterday (6/24) on nature.com.

Not according to the study. A dose of 222 mm at 2 millijoules/cm2 showed virus inactivity of 90% after 8 minutes and 99.9% after 25 minutes. They used a single 12 watt bulb at 22 cm from the tube containing the virus. Obviously, the Dome would likely require several bulbs at a higher wattage, but it might very well be feasible.
The study...
"suggests that it may be feasible and safe to have the lamps providing continuous low-dose far-UVC exposure in public places – potentially reducing the probability of person-to-person transmission of coronavirus as well as other seasonal viruses such as influenza. "
The Columbia University study results were released yesterday (6/24) on nature.com.
Lots of people are saying lots of stuff about UV lights. I’ve been working with them for 20 years in air conditioning systems. UV absolutely works. The issue is the exposure time. In an hvac, the air is moving at 400 to 500 ft per minute. As you might imagine at that velocity, the air has a much shorter exposure time than the 8 min or 25 mins quoted in the study. Therein lies the problem. Need lots of intensity because of the shorter duration time in an hvac system.

Separately there are about 50 companies all making claims to kill the virus with their technology. I’d be weary about most of the claims.

So...CDC now says that for everyone positive test of COVID that has been diagnosed, there’s like 10 others that are unfounded. If this is actually true that would take that mortality rate to almost equal of the flu...without a treatment or a vaccine.

does this newest study hurt or help footballs chances in the fall?

So...CDC now says that for everyone positive test of COVID that has been diagnosed, there’s like 10 others that are unfounded. If this is actually true that would take that mortality rate to almost equal of the flu...without a treatment or a vaccine.

Maybe the mortality rate is the same, but the transmission rate then must be much higher. I'm not implying anyone here is necessarily saying this, but for folks saying that we totally overreacted I will ask them when is the last time a hospital had to be built in Central Park in NYC with a lockdown for the flu?

You have to be careful making your conclusion based on what the cdc said about infections. The numerator of the equation, which is deaths, is thought by most experts to be low. Some think it is actually 20-50% higher and one study had it even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.