List Next Year's Rotation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

List Next Year's Rotation

He’s not better than goodine who I think is better than Carey right now!!!
so are you saying that girard is just coming here to chill out and sit behind buddy for a few years?

so are you saying that girard is just coming here to chill out and sit behind buddy for a few years?
No but I think he ll be behind goodine and buddy, need bench scoring too!!!

On paper, anyway, our most talented recent team was the Andrew White, Tyler Lydon team. That group was 2 deep at every position with a quality player. They just never gelled as a unit.
i'm not sure where you are going here. a team dependent on grad transfer scrubs is by definition not talented. you used an NIT team as your example a talented team LOL.

I feel like a year ago people were saying Carey is better than Howard right now.

He probably could be, but you have to manage a roster; you have players for years, you have to make people work for their chances. I'd bet that if Frank hadn't recovered from his ankle as quickly, and if Carey had been a bit more consistent with his game, he would still be in the rotation.

They kinda gelled in the ACC. Beat Duke, Virginia, and FSU.

They were horrible in the OOC, mostly because White and Lydon were out of position and Howard was starting.

Yeah, they weren't terrible. They didn't fall off a cliff. But they kind of blew their chance at a terrific season with so many early losses.

i'm not sure where you are going here. a team dependent on grad transfer scrubs is by definition not talented. you used an NIT team as your example a talented team LOL.
Grad transfer scrubs? White was the top grad transfer. Gillon was one of the best. If White comes to campus earlier and if Gillon/Thompson are starting Day One, we win at least two out of three against UConn/Georgetown/SJU, go 11-7 in conference play, and are at worst a 6 seed in the NCAAs.

1- Carey/Goodine
2- Buddy/Goodine
3- Hughes/Guerrier
4- Guerrier/Dolezaj
5- Sidibe/Dolezaj

8th man- Braswell

Bench depth- Girard/JBA/Washington

This could be a solid lineup, but I don't see who the alpha type player is. Someone could develop into that, but I don't see it at this point. That doesn't mean we can't be a solid team, but I would think it would put a bit of a ceiling on the team's upside.

With a big jump Brissett could be that alpha, I'm not sure anyone else has the shear talent or alternatively the combo of experience and talent that might allow them to successfully take on that role. I think OB could be it based on the combo of talent and experience assuming he is willing to play a more traditional PF role and continue to stay off the 3 point line.

I really hope that a combo of Brissett, Guerrier and Sidibe (or an unknown late add) are good enough to keep Dolezaj out of the starting lineup. While he brings some nice intangibles I just don't think he brings enough to be a starter on the caliber of team we hope to have, nor do I think he is a P5 starting center.

Last edited:
Buddy has had a really interesting freshman season. He got off to a poor start but found his groove around the time conference play began, when the opposition got markedly tougher, and thrived from that point forward.

Check out his stats in conference play. They are impressive:

2P%: .560
3P%: .407

That would make give him the 3rd best 2P% in the conference, only behind Zion and Elijah Thomas of Clemson. That is an extraordinary percentage for a guard.

His 3P% would be good for 3rd best in the ACC, behind Cam Johnson and Kyle Guy. The thing that is scary is that as time goes on, his percentages keep going higher and higher.

He only played 16.3 mpg in conference play, which was probably too little. Let’s assume he doubles that to 32.6 mpg next season, which is pretty conservative, doesn’t improve at all and gets no bump from playing weaker competition out of conference. If you do that, Buddy’s projected averages per game next year would be 15.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.2 spg and 1.4 apg.

We almost surely lose both starting guards. Anyone who thinks Buddy is not going to start, with this level of production, is kind of insane. Buddy is destined to break a lot of records during his career here. Who would have thunk it?

For Buddy to be on the floor for 32 minutes next year, his handle is going to have be a lot better.
For perspective, Andy Rautins as a senior only played 32 minutes a game.
I think Buddy next year will play closer to 25, and we have a more equally distributed amount of time between 3 primary rotating guards. I think the other 2 will be Carey and Goodine, and I think we will play faster as a result.

let me change the question. buddy's stats as a freshman are fine, especially when you consider that our ACC schedule was trash. is buddy a net positive against duke, unc, and virginia? those are the teams we need to beat to be relevant.

How is the ACC schedule trash? Because Cuse played BC and Pitt twice? Others got to play Wake, GTech, ND, Miami twice. Maybe Cuse got a one game benefit over some,maybe not, since they played two poor teams twice but that’s hardly trash with all the other great teams too.

Would really hope we saw a Guerrier/Dolezaj forward combo with Hughes coming off the bench but that won't happen. Just think that is the better lineup. Hughes offers so much more versatility. I guess Dolezaj does too, but I love his game and think he should be a 30+ minute guy.

That’s how I se it too. Unless we get a grad transfer big.
Why Sidibe over Marek?

Marek has accomplished far more. Sidibe has barely contributed in comparison.

For Buddy to be on the floor for 32 minutes next year, his handle is going to have be a lot better.
I think Buddy next year will play closer to 25, and we have a more equally distributed amount of time between 3 primary rotating guards. I think the other 2 will be Carey and Goodine, and I think we will play faster as a result.

Did you watch the Duke and Pitt games?

1- Carey/Goodine
2- Buddy/Goodine
3- Hughes/Guerrier
4- Guerrier/Dolezaj
5- Sidibe/Dolezaj

8th man- Braswell

Bench depth- Girard/JBA/Washington
That’s what I’m envisioning. But I don’t think Oshae is leaving so pencil him in at PF with Marek. If he does leave, I think Braswell will play. He’s a James Southerland type who could find some minutes as a sophomore. I think the guard rotation will be Carey, Goodine and Boeheim. Goodine is gonna push Carey for time at PG. I just don’t see it for Howard Washington. As for Girard, I have my doubts about him, too, especially as a freshman. But I do think he’s more of a wildcard. He could go either way, not get much playing time or find some key minutes off the bench. His EYBL numbers were fairly pedestrian.

Last edited:
Don’t see goodine and Guerrier being kept off the court. Goodine is better than Carey right now and I think Guerrier will be our best player next year!
Guerrier is the other wildcard. He lit it up on the Adidas AAU circuit. He’ll be a star as a sophomore but it might require a year of adjustment as a freshman.

Guerrier is the other wildcard. He lit it up on the Adidas AAU circuit. He’ll be a star as a sophomore but it might require a year of adjustment as a freshman.

I think we all have to be careful about placing too high of expectations on any incoming frosh. It's hard to step in and produce at a high level as a frosh. Not sure any of them will, but almost certainly we won't get huge contributions out of 3 (Guerrier, Goodine and Girard). While I think all of these guys are good, none of them are 5 star guys. Look no further than Carey to see that the adjustment can be difficult for a frosh.

We also have to be cautious about writing off a freshman that doesn't produce right away. Look at both Buddy and Carey for slightly different examples of this. Neither produced out of the gate. Buddy seems to have made the adjustment, Carey hasn't yet. But he shouldn't be written off for the next incoming freshman.

I think Carey will be a big part of what we do next year. He will be more comfortable and not be spending as much time looking over his shoulder or anticipating the JB quick hook next season (that role will transfer to someone else) assuming that both Howard and Battle are gone.
Buddy is similar only you saw him get comfortable over the course of this season. I think part of that is because the role (outside shooter) that he was being asked to fill was (i) an easier role to fill (as opposed to Carey as lead guard) and (ii) a more natural role for him (it's the role he's always played). Once he got comfortable in that role, what he could contribute began to expand. I say all of this to try to make the point that we shouldn't write off any frosh because they have trouble adjusting.

Last edited:
Oshae can go overseas and make tons of money! Not sure what your looking at!

Exactly. It's really not that hard to get a job overseas when you play at the level of Syracuse. Heck Keita played for a few seasons and some were adamant there was no chance of that. Heck I went to Mercer and many of those guys ended up overseas.

Exactly. It's really not that hard to get a job overseas when you play at the level of Syracuse. Heck Keita played for a few seasons and some were adamant there was no chance of that. Heck I went to Mercer and many of those guys ended up overseas.
But not many college players leave early to go overseas. And unfortunately we may be looking at two to to this - Battle and Oshea? That stinks.

As to the OP, I think early on the penciled rotation starts with an experienced group of::
Carey
Buddy
Eli
OB
Marek
with Carey the most vulnerable followed by Marek (Sid).

Buddy’s ball handling was fine as a frosh and will just get better. If you divide 80 by 3, you get just under 27 minutes. If you look at the 3 guards you think will divide playing time, Buddy has by far the most experience and is the only one who has proven he can excel in ACC play.

I think it is naive to think Carey, who was clearly completely overmatched as a frosh, and Goodine, who has never played in a college game, are going to get the same or more playing time than Buddy. Did you read what I wrote? Did you even watch the games this season? Buddy had a really good frosh season. And it wasn’t just because of his outstanding outside shooting. He shot 56% inside the 3 point circle.

We will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Would really hope we saw a Guerrier/Dolezaj forward combo with Hughes coming off the bench but that won't happen. Just think that is the better lineup. Hughes offers so much more versatility. I guess Dolezaj does too, but I love his game and think he should be a 30+ minute guy.

Hughes is averaging something like 14 points a game and is our leading outside shooter. Certainly he's a starter next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom