Local eats | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Local eats

Esquina Habanera is a cuban place I have only tried twice and have heard some mixed reviews for certain menu items, but their ropa vieja (slow cooked beef) is so. damn. good.

Agreed; I like their (enormous) sandwiches, but the ropa vieja is really the star of the show.

One of our best assets is Caribbean immigrants who go crazy in the kitchen. The Jerk Hut on the south side has some killer Jamaican food. There are a couple Jamaican places down town too but not as good as this one IMO. The oxtail there is as good as it gets. The heart attack is worth it.

Las Delicias on Westcott street is Cuban/Dominican and everything is good except the fries. Also a ton of food for not too much money. Good oxtail there too (yes I have a problem).

Esquina Habanera is a cuban place I have only tried twice and have heard some mixed reviews for certain menu items, but their ropa vieja (slow cooked beef) is so. damn. good.

Esquina Habanera is fantastic, you can get them on a day when the offerings are limited if its late and they've had a big rush but we've always a good meal. The Cuban Sandwich is outrageous in taste and size and the chickpea dish (whatever its called) my wife loves. He occasionally has lamb which is great. We met the owner shortly after it opened and he always remembers us and gives us samples extra stuff etc.

Yeah, that lot is a bear. Reminded me that plaza was the original location of The All Night Egg Plant (which morphed from Pizza King on Marshall Street), now located in Chimney's Plaza on Bridge Street.

Am imagining or wasn't the All Night Eggplant on E. Genesee St. near the current Peachtree Sandwich Co.? I feel like the Eggplant was the name of the place you would go to for late night eats after a night on the town in the 80s if you lived in SE Cuse.

Am imagining or wasn't the All Night Eggplant on E. Genesee St. near the current Peachtree Sandwich Co.? I feel like the Eggplant was the name of the place you would go to for late night eats after a night on the town in the 80s if you lived in SE Cuse.
Yeah I was referring to the parking lot where Peachtree is now. Eggplant was there before it moved to Chimney's Plaza. Pickles Deli was also there once and Dewitt Bagelry too. Going way back Walter Whites tavern used to be across the street from there and I vaguely remember the Orville Diner being on the corner where Tops is now.

Last edited:
Broadway Deli is really good, as is Peachtree.

Broadway is so good, and always so empty when I'm there. I hope they're doing a decent business. I will say that most of their product seems to be turned over pretty regularly, so I guess someone's buying it?

Dark Horse Tavern - in a small strip mall in Dewitt on E. Genesee St. Very small space, lots of regulars, great pub food.

Ruston’s for breakfast - in Jamesville at the end of Rock Cut Road. Old white house that looks like it might fall over. Solid diner food, good service, and very popular with the regulars. The opposite of fancy.

Salt City Market - Downtown on South Salina near the Landmark Theatre. Many small food outlets under one roof. I haven’t been in a bit, but a super addition to downtown.

Eva’s - In Solvay about a mile from the fairgrounds. Super tasty polish quisine. Great desserts. Feels like my grandmas house.
Thumbs up on Dark Horse

Rise and Shine on Wescott Street.

So I’m thinking about pounding down some pancakes tomo, how good are their pancakes?

So I’m thinking about pounding down some pancakes tomo, how good are their pancakes?
Google their photos. I've had the pancake wrap and it took me two days to finish it and was in a food coma for a total of 48 hours. Large portions.

Really good place thanks. Tried it last night.

I try to stay disciplined and try something new every time, but it's hard not to fall back on some of the favorites there. So good.

many fond memories of THE DARK HORSE tavern in Cortland way back in the eighties..

Got my Rise and shine this morning and what an experience it was got 2 buttermilk and 2 cinnamon pancakes side of bacon and a side of fruit and it was tasty. Will def make a comeback.
Can’t put up the picture cause it’s too big, that’s what she said.

Best place for pizza? Nicks on Thompson road. I’ve tried Pavones on bridge and it’s not bad, and also tried that place at the end of Erie and East Geneese, that wasn’t anytbing special.
I like thin/NY style. Do wanna find some good Chicago deep dish somewhere.

Best for sammichs/subs?
Idk

Best for Mexican?
Idk

Best for burgers?
Five guys

Best for Italalin?
Idk

Best for breakfast?
Rise n shine

Best bakery?
Columbus

Best sweets?
Insomnia/glazed and confused.

Best quick easy bite?
Chick fil a

To answer this or add more in just quote it and answer it yourself.

Best place for pizza? Nicks on Thompson road. I’ve tried Pavones on bridge and it’s not bad, and also tried that place at the end of Erie and East Geneese, that wasn’t anytbing special.
I like thin/NY style. Do wanna find some good Chicago deep dish somewhere.

Best for sammichs/subs?
Idk

Best for Mexican?
Idk

Best for burgers?
Five guys

Best for Italalin?
Idk

Best for breakfast?
Rise n shine

Best bakery?
Columbus

Best sweets?
Insomnia/glazed and confused.

Best quick easy bite?
Chick fil a

To answer this or add more in just quote it and answer it yourself.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as good Chicago deep dish (joking but not joking), but Pump Pizza in Mattydale has a few deep dish options (including a seafood alfredo option that is sneaky-tasty), in addition to a bunch of other solid choices.

Palladinos is right around the corner from there, and they round out my Syracuse good pizza trifecta (along with Pavone's and Mario and Salvo's, which I'm guessing you were referring to).

Looking for bakeries, that do doughnuts, muffins, cookies, brownies, breads.

It has been a while but Harrison bakery on W Genesee has historically been solid with half moons, giant chocolate chip cookies, rye bread and lots of other tasty pastries.

Lyncourt on Teall Ave on the East side was also solid back when I ate such things.

Doughnuts:
Maybe it exists, but I can't do better than Serres (East Syracuse) or Green Hills (Valley) locally.

Honeycomb on the East Side (DeWitt, actually, right on the city line) kills it on pastries, etc.

Breads: Pasta's Daily Bread, DiLauro's, Columbus, the usual suspects.

Doughnuts:
Maybe it exists, but I can't do better than Serres (East Syracuse) or Green Hills (Valley) locally.

Honeycomb on the East Side (DeWitt, actually, right on the city line) kills it on pastries, etc.

Breads: Pasta's Daily Bread, DiLauro's, Columbus, the usual suspects.

I second Green Hills. Really good bakery with a pretty large selection.

Try Skytop Cafe in Manlius in Tops Plaza. More than a bakery but they do have a nice selection of bakery items to go with their signature coffee blends.