Local eats | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Local eats

It has been a while but Harrison bakery on W Genesee has historically been solid with half moons, giant chocolate chip cookies, rye bread and lots of other tasty pastries.

Lyncourt on Teall Ave on the East side was also solid back when I ate such things.
Best cookies I have ever in had in town were from Rosalie bakery in Skaneatles (it's in the back). They're big and somewhat pricey, 6 for $10 bucks I think. Get the chocolate chip. The do sell out a lot and the hours are not great as I believe the bakery closes before the restaurant opens.

Doughnuts:
Maybe it exists, but I can't do better than Serres (East Syracuse) or Green Hills (Valley) locally.

Honeycomb on the East Side (DeWitt, actually, right on the city line) kills it on pastries, etc.

Breads: Pasta's Daily Bread, DiLauro's, Columbus, the usual suspects.
Wegman's garlic Tuscan bread is the best. Rest of baked goods, meh.

Best cookies I have ever in had in town were from Rosalie bakery in Skaneatles (it's in the back). They're big and somewhat pricey, 6 for $10 bucks I think. Get the chocolate chip. The do sell out a lot and the hours are not great as I believe the bakery closes before the restaurant opens.
I’m semis addicted to insomnia cookies at the moment.
But I also love a place in Watertown called Startch as they have a ton of fresh baked goods as well.

And there’s a place in Caz called flower and salt I think? I gotta try that

Wegman's garlic Tuscan bread is the best. Rest of baked goods, meh.

Agree. Wegmans bagels are passable, almost all of their sweet baked good are worse than average, but they've got a handful of breads that are excellent. In addition to the garlic Tuscan they've got a rosemary one and a sort of jalapeno cheddar loaf that are both terrific.

It confuses me that they're so inconsistent across what they offer. Especially given both their reputation and the prices they charge for the sweets. If only those were half as good as their breads.

I’m semis addicted to insomnia cookies at the moment.
But I also love a place in Watertown called Startch as they have a ton of fresh baked goods as well.

And there’s a place in Caz called flower and salt I think? I gotta try that

There's a Flour and Salt in Hamilton, maybe they have a second location? They're really good.

Big fan of the bakery mentioned that's in the plaza on Nottingham Rd (Honeycomb). When I visit family (I live in a different state) I try to get pastries from there at least once.

Cheese danish.

Sausage roll.

Croissant.

Also, other things.
Just put down a choclate chip cookie. Rating….8.2 on the cookie scale.
A choclate peanut butter cupcake…that gets a 8.1. Would’ve been way higher but the peanut butter frosting was really solid like frozen. Tasted great though.
And a cheese pinwheel…. That gets a 8.8. That was great. If it was warmed up probably be in the nines.

Still got a blueberry and a chocolate chip muffin.

The Hops Spot downtown i'm a big fan of (beers, burgers, etc)
Sweet Praxis is a nice little bakery (and they do V, GF, DF too)

I enjoy Apizza Regionale. Really good pizza and cocktails.

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Yes ... Apizza Regionale. I should have known better. You'd think since the guy who told me about it has been to Italy multiple times, he wouldnt have said it "A_____________Pizza Regional."

Can't recommend it as I haven't tried the place yet but it looks great, in a state fair kind of way.
I’ve debated. And I’ll keep debating until I hear reviews from people.

A little backstory, I loved that diner and really fell out of love with it when they pivoted to this Instagram-friendly sort of concept. So I was very skeptical.

But one day UberEats or DoorDash was offering some kind of promo where Loded was practically free, and I love a good burger, so why not?

I was pleasantly surprised, and we've probably ordered from there half a dozen times since. Thoughts:

1) The plain smashburger is the move. It's really good. I find the loaded burgers too over-the-top (and unnecessary, because they make a nice 90th-percentile smashburger that stands up well on its own).
2) The Mac and cheese is pretty bland and starchy, but obviously the toppings are the star.
3) On that note, the fries are a much better vehicle for the toppings, IMO. I'd say that the birria is the best, the bulgogi (too sweet) and the Nashville chicken (also a little sweet) are also OK. I've had a couple of the others (cheesesteak and something else, not the red sauce version, and they haven't stood out). I have not had the Doritos Cool Ranch option, but that's probably on the list for next time.
4) Foot-long dogs are solid, but the bun is stupid sweet.
5) Good chicken nuggets.

Main takeaway is that almost everything is too sweet, but they exceeded my low expectations and the food is generally tasty.

A little backstory, I loved that diner and really fell out of love with it when they pivoted to this Instagram-friendly sort of concept. So I was very skeptical.

But one day UberEats or DoorDash was offering some kind of promo where Loded was practically free, and I love a good burger, so why not?

I was pleasantly surprised, and we've probably ordered from there half a dozen times since. Thoughts:

1) The plain smashburger is the move. It's really good. I find the loaded burgers too over-the-top (and unnecessary, because they make a nice 90th-percentile smashburger that stands up well on its own).
2) The Mac and cheese is pretty bland and starchy, but obviously the toppings are the star.
3) On that note, the fries are a much better vehicle for the toppings, IMO. I'd say that the birria is the best, the bulgogi (too sweet) and the Nashville chicken (also a little sweet) are also OK. I've had a couple of the others (cheesesteak and something else, not the red sauce version, and they haven't stood out). I have not had the Doritos Cool Ranch option, but that's probably on the list for next time.
5) Good chicken nuggets.

Main takeaway is that almost everything is too sweet, but they exceeded my low expectations and the food is generally tasty.
Are they related to rise n shine or do they stand on their ownV

Are they related to rise n shine or do they stand on their ownV

Same owner, I think; for whatever reason after the Westcott location was up and running she closed the Thompson Road location and changed the concept to the burger thing.

5) Good chicken nuggets.

If I hadn’t met you in person I’d guess you were running about 450 lbs with your intensive knowledge of food joints.

So Danny's Cheesesteaks on Walton Street (which is OK, nothing more, nothing less) has a ghost kitchen called Decir Algo serving tacos out of their restaurant. And you can order them right there at Danny's counter, so it's not a ghost kitchen at all, really - just an under-advertised secondary concept.

Anyway, their birria tacos are excellent.