Local eats | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Local eats

O’Scugnizzo and Joe’s get all the hype, but Laurey’s is my favorite sauce on top pizza in the Utica area.

In terms of more standard types of pies, I’m a fan of both Venice and Lukin’s.

E24C9286-E159-4832-93EB-28A614845F98.jpeg

No, I'm fully with you on Wildcat. They are tied with Pavone's for my favorite pizza in Syracuse and their Spicy Ranch wings are my sleeper for #1 in town.
Yes! And the wildcat sauce wings are incredible too

He's now posting his stops in Utica. I heard O'Scugnizzo scored into the low 8s. I for the life of me can't figure out who or why that word is pronounced "Oh-Skin-Eats" but who am I to argue.
Scugnizzo has neapolitan origins.

Neapolitans tend to not pronounce the final vowel syllable in their dialect.

Hence, scugnizzo becomes scugnizz'

Bastardized into phonetic english it becomes "Skin-eats".

So I just had Glazed and Confused for the first time, had the milk and cookies, French toast, buckeye, cinnamon bun, salted caramel apple, and was very happy with the result. Not to sweet not overpowering, nice crunch to the freshness. Just a very nice taste.

So looking for what other local places around Syracuse/surrounding areas are there to check out. Not just baked obv, anything you know of.
Am planning on trying The Toast in caz at some point.
Anybody on this board eat anywhere but diners, burger joints, pizza & wing joints with the occasional Mexican thrown in?

How about places like Arad Evans, Francesca's, Pastabilities, Lemongrass, The York etc.?

These are some of my favorite restaurants ever. I have never heard of the York.

The York is approximately 200 feet from Pastabilities and has been there for 7 years. When is the last time you were down there lol? It's in the old bc Restaurant space.

Anybody on this board eat anywhere but diners, burger joints, pizza & wing joints with the occasional Mexican thrown in?

How about places like Arad Evans, Francesca's, Pastabilities, Lemongrass, The York etc.?

...he inquired, without a hint of condescension.

Stale and overrated; good food, lovely setting, regulars' vibe (for better or worse); for tourists and college kids but used to do a good lunch service; excellent; too loud and dark, with hit or miss food.

Saint Urban is the best fine dining in Central New York. Eden and the Brewster Inn are also shining stars in that category.

...he inquired, without a hint of condescension.

Stale and overrated; good food, lovely setting, regulars' vibe (for better or worse); for tourists and college kids but used to do a good lunch service; excellent; too loud and dark, with hit or miss food.

Saint Urban is the best fine dining in Central New York. Eden and the Brewster Inn are also shining stars in that category.

Saint Urban and Eden are two of the best meals I've had in the last few years in CNY. Have you been to Arad Evans since they renovated and reopened? Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago and I thought it was good then.

Pastabilities is the most overrated place in Syracuse and regularly has an hour plus wait.

Saint Urban and Eden are two of the best meals I've had in the last few years in CNY. Have you been to Arad Evans since they renovated and reopened? Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago and I thought it was good then.

OK, to be fair, probably not. When was the renovation? IIRC there was a fire and renovation, and it sounds now there's a somewhat new concept? Last time for me was probably a decade ago; it was kind of like an unadventurous high-end hotel experience - good beef entree, good scallop entree, etc. Fine, but unremarkable and not deserving of the old "one of the best restaurants in the region" rep.

OK, to be fair, probably not. When was the renovation? IIRC there was a fire and renovation, and it sounds now there's a somewhat new concept? Last time for me was probably a decade ago; it was kind of like an unadventurous high-end hotel experience - good beef entree, good scallop entree, etc. Fine, but unremarkable and not deserving of the old "one of the best restaurants in the region" rep.

They reopened last Summer:

Pastabilities is the most overrated place in Syracuse and regularly has an hour plus wait.
A cartoon dinosaur six blocks north waves in your direction.

But yeah, generally agree.

I've never had a bad meal at either. I think they both got so popular that it then became trendy to hate on them. Are there better restaurants in the area? Yeah, but they both have good food and are reasonably priced with fun/unique atmospheres.

I've never had a bad meal at either. I think they both got so popular that it then became trendy to hate on them. Are there better restaurants in the area? Yeah, but they both have good food and are reasonably priced with fun/unique atmospheres.

No doubt. But I never had a bad meal at Faegan's either; difference is that it's not in my top-50 list of recommendations.

I'm just a hater because that's where all the out of towners go. Personally I go to Dinosaur way more than Pastabilities. I do love their smoked wings.

I'm just a hater because that's where all the out of towners go. Personally I go to Dinosaur way more than Pastabilities. I do love their smoked wings.

And their cheesesteak, Cuban sandwich, burgers, etc. All very strong. I'd never turn my nose up at a summer evening in the Boneyard or an early lunch inside at Dino.

It's just that the whole "if you've got one meal in Syracuse go to Dino" or "best BBQ anywhere" people are out of their minds. And probably don't have great taste.

Off to the dark Horse in Dewitt. A favorite. The Preserve is very good

I remember when it was the dark room when I was a kid. Have you been to DeWitt bagel co a few doors down? Wanted to try it

I remember when it was the dark room when I was a kid. Have you been to DeWitt bagel co a few doors down? Wanted to try it
No. Other side of town for us, so no drop ins

I've been served bagels from their sister location in Cazenovia and they were fine.

It's a clever idea, but it seems like cutting corners to me - they get frozen bagels from someplace in the Bronx (I think) and finish cooking them on-site.

I prefer Water Street, where they put time and effort into learning how to make excellent fresh bagels in-house.