Local eats | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Local eats

I've been served bagels from their sister location in Cazenovia and they were fine.

It's a clever idea, but it seems like cutting corners to me - they get frozen bagels from someplace in the Bronx (I think) and finish cooking them on-site.

I prefer Water Street, where they put time and effort into learning how to make excellent fresh bagels in-house.

Yeah Dewitt Bagel Co isn't bad. Better than Bruegger's at this point, which I think the quality has gone downhill on, but Water Street is the gold standard in the area.

Saint Urban and Eden are two of the best meals I've had in the last few years in CNY. Have you been to Arad Evans since they renovated and reopened? Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago and I thought it was good then.
We've been to Arad Evans twice since it reopened.

I find it very hit and miss.

When an entree is good, it is really good.

But when it is not, it is really not.

Never even heard of Saint Urban. Thanks for the suggestion. Always looking for new places.

Saint Urban and Eden are two of the best meals I've had in the last few years in CNY. Have you been to Arad Evans since they renovated and reopened? Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago and I thought it was good then.
Eden also looks interesting but are you kidding me with some of these wine prices?

I know NY State has some decent wines but c'mon...

Eden also looks interesting but are you kidding me with some of these wine prices?

I know NY State has some decent wines but c'mon...

I'm not really a big wine guy, but it looks like most of the wines are about double the retail price. Any idea what the standard restaurant markup is on bottles of wine?

I'm not really a big wine guy, but it looks like most of the wines are about double the retail price. Any idea what the standard restaurant markup is on bottles of wine?
A quick look says 200-300%. More for already expensive wines

A couple owners once told me in a perfect world the price for a glass of wine is what they pay for the bottle. So everything after that first glass is profit. Big markup

I grew up on the west side and this was one of the only sit-down restaurants on this side of town for a long time. The first restaurant I can remember is Mr. Steak, which Kirby's used to be (although it was across the street back in the day). Sad to see it go. I went out of my way to order from them during the early days of the pandemic. Just an old neighborhood kinda place.

I grew up on the west side and this was one of the only sit-down restaurants on this side of town for a long time. The first restaurant I can remember is Mr. Steak, which Kirby's used to be (although it was across the street back in the day). Sad to see it go. I went out of my way to order from them during the early days of the pandemic. Just an old neighborhood kinda place.
A Fayetteville staple and a place dear to my family for decades. Always the place for birthdays and lunches with my grandparents (2 who have passed on) over the years. Fond memories. Will miss it.

Was gonna check this out and just closed
They will be reopening in a bigger space at some point, is what I understand. We got to it before it closed. Best brisket sandwich I ever had! Look forward to their new location

Anyone tried Laci’s tapas? My wife likes tapas and her birthday is approaching

Anyone tried Laci’s tapas? My wife likes tapas and her birthday is approaching

Haven't tried since they reopened under new ownership, but my wife and I always enjoyed going there previously. I'm fairly certain the old owner is involved in an advisory position, so I'm guessing it's very similar to how it's always been.

Tried LaLa Lu near Carrier Circle recently.

Not my cup of tea. A) I generally dislike Italian restaurants (c'mon Pitino, fight me) B) The decor is definitely atypical of local dining - which whatever; C) the menu is too cutesy. I was served elevated hamburger helper in a small pot for $25. It was difficult to eat, under seasoned and the pasta was mushy.

Never been a fan, but I get it. I was driving past the Fayetteville location after it closed and it was kind of sad to watch two senior citizens walk up to the door for their usual Friday 5:30 dinner plans only for the door to be locked.

I haven't heard of any plans for a replacement for the Fayetteville Location, but there should be plenty of action. That's a great location with plenty of parking right in the middle of the village. Bull & Bear has been doing great, and the new Tully's location in Town Center is always packed.

Tried LaLa Lu near Carrier Circle recently.

Not my cup of tea. A) I generally dislike Italian restaurants (c'mon Pitino, fight me) B) The decor is definitely atypical of local dining - which whatever; C) the menu is too cutesy. I was served elevated hamburger helper in a small pot for $25. It was difficult to eat, under seasoned and the pasta was mushy.

Never been a fan, but I get it. I was driving past the Fayetteville location after it closed and it was kind of sad to watch two senior citizens walk up to the door for their usual Friday 5:30 dinner plans only for the door to be locked.

I haven't heard of any plans for a replacement for the Fayetteville Location, but there should be plenty of action. That's a great location with plenty of parking right in the middle of the village. Bull & Bear has been doing great, and the new Tully's location in Town Center is always packed.

Yeah, this is my take on all her restaurants.

Too cute by half; definitely intended more for the Instagram crowd than for people who like good food. And everything is way too sweet.

Yeah, this is my take on all her restaurants.

Too cute by half; definitely intended more for the Instagram crowd than for people who like good food. And everything is way too sweet.

I only got takeout from there once, but I thought Loded was very good.

I only got takeout from there once, but I thought Loded was very good.

The plain burger is good. Way better than average for CNY, a solid 8/10 in my book. But even that has a killer amount of sugar or HFCS in the roll. And all the toppings-heavy items magnify that by tenfold.

I will say the Nashville chicken with the pickles and all the crazy s--- on it can really hit the spot now and again.

The plain burger is good. Way better than average for CNY, a solid 8/10 in my book. But even that has a killer amount of sugar or HFCS in the roll. And all the toppings-heavy items magnify that by tenfold.

I will say the Nashville chicken with the pickles and all the crazy s--- on it can really hit the spot now and again.

Yeah I'm typically a plain burger kinda guy. Just give me a couple smash patties with cheese, ketchup, mustard, lettuce and onions on it.