Locker room and players | Syracusefan.com

Locker room and players

He’s a salesman. Most good coaches are.

not sure that means what you think it means
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

I mean our portal adds were ranked higher than theirs people would have gone insane if we added Cam Spencer instead of Starling. Got lucky with his own recruits to a certain degree but Hurley was extremely good and accurate at his portal shopping. There's plenty of tape on all these guys they aren't unknown quantities he just seriously did his homework on scouting and then of course coached all of them up.

Meanwhile Red was too cowardly to dismiss Benny and the last JB class that is now reduced by 80% picked up 2 guys with chronic injuries and the one productive portal guy was worse defensively than Joe Girard.

Hopefully he rights it year 2.

I hate Hurley’s sideline antics but he is 100% on the money with everything he said in that video. He has the blueprint of building a winning culture and team. I think I just puked in my mouth saying that. However, Syracuse was the anti UConn this year in regards to culture. I’m confident Red knows what needs to be done, hoping he can carry out his plan.

I mean our portal adds were ranked higher than theirs people would have gone insane if we added Cam Spencer instead of Starling. Got lucky with his own recruits to a certain degree but Hurley was extremely good and accurate at his portal shopping. There's plenty of tape on all these guys they aren't unknown quantities he just seriously did his homework on scouting and then of course coached all of them up.

Meanwhile Red was too cowardly to dismiss Benny and the last JB class that is now reduced by 80% picked up 2 guys with chronic injuries and the one productive portal guy was worse defensively than Joe Girard.

Hopefully he rights it year 2.

Red went after Starling because of the past relationship he had with him. In this day and age you need both your 1, 2 able to hit from 3 with some sort of consistency. Red was handed a complete mess of a roster and culture on the team. I think he did really well based on what he had to work with.

Red went after Starling because of the past relationship he had with him. In this day and age you need both your 1, 2 able to hit from 3 with some sort of consistency. Red was handed a complete mess of a roster and culture on the team. I think he did really well based on what he had to work with.
I agree to a certain extent.

But Taylor started every game bc Benny wasn't replaced when he had already quit the team and all we did this year at the end of the day was develop the last JB recruiting class for other programs.

We are much better off if he pushes 2 more guys out a year ago and hits on the portal replacements.

Hurley can locker room my balls.

They were the best team - and the best team to watch - this past season.
They played the game the right way and were rewarded for it.

Irrelevant.

You know what, they are beyond reproach now.

They are at a level we will likely never achieve. Six championships now, and a back-to-back. Three different coaches with trophies.

They are on that top shelf as a program now. We can all agree that the Kemba Walker championship was a sham. Walker was the beneficiary of the "Jordan Rules" that tournament run. The refs just stopped calling him for traveling, and he turned into Allen Iverson for a month.

Then there was the one where some might say a bracket opened up for them when good teams were knocked out in upsets. But you know what, you still have to win those games, and they did.

On top of that, the best Calhoun teams were a damn good team to watch how they played. Great creative talent, matched with tough defense and rebounding. They beat an excellent Duke team to win a championship. They had 10 years when they dominated the Big East.

The return to the Big East both rescued and revitalized their program.

And, on top of THAT, this last year, they played some really beautiful ball, even better than last year's champions, and frankly, with what appeared to be a less talented team than the year before.

It was like how SU lost Jonny Flynn, Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf from that Sweet 16 team - and then we had the magical 2010 team, which was the best "team" of probably any that we've ever had. Those pieces fit like magic. Until the anchor piece was gone.

Anyway, hats off to UConn. I had hoped for their demise when we got the ACC and their smug fans got time in purgatory in the American conference.

But I kind of feel like we no longer really compete with them in recruiting. Hurley has a certain style, and a certain type of player he's looking for.

He's like a modern day Bobby Knight - loud, argumentative, brash, but a very good x's and o's guy, good strategy, tough culture, if you get player buy-in, it's like playing against the Marine Corps.

Last edited:
You know what, they are beyond reproach now.

They are at a level we will likely never achieve. Six championships now, and a back-to-back. Three different coaches with trophies.

They are on that top shelf as a program now. We can all agree that the Kemba Walker championship was a sham. Walker was the beneficiary of the "Jordan Rules" that tournament run. The refs just stopped calling him for traveling, and he turned into Allen Iverson for a month.

Then there was the one where some might say a bracket opened up for them when good teams were knocked out in upsets. But you know what, you still have to win those games, and they did.

On top of that, the best Calhoun teams were a damn good team to watch how they played. Great creative talent, matched with tough defense and rebounding. They beat an excellent Duke team to win a championship. They had 10 years when they dominated the Big East.

The return to the Big East both rescued and revitalized their program.

On, on top of THAT, this last year, they played some really beautiful ball, even better than last year's champions, and frankly, with what appeared to be a less talented team than the year before.

It was like how SU lost Jonny Flynn, Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf from that Sweet 16 team - and then we had the magical 2010 team, which was the best "team" of probably any that we've ever had. Those pieces fit like magic. Until the anchor piece was gone.

Anyway, hats off to UConn. I had hoped for their demise when we got the ACC and their smug fans got time in purgatory in the American conference.

But I kind of feel like we no longer really compete with them in recruiting. Hurley has a certain style, and a certain type of player he's looking for.

He's like a modern day Bobby Knight - loud, argumentative, brash, but a very good x's and o's guy, good strategy, tough culture, if you get player buy-in, it's like playing against the Marine Corps.
giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom