LOL Rutgers | Syracusefan.com

LOL Rutgers

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Rutgers asks Big East for financial relief

March, 27, 2012
By Andrea Adelson

Rutgers has asked the Big East for financial relief, after losing a home game because of conference realignment.

TCU was originally slated to visit the Scarlet Knights. But after TCU left for the Big 12, Rutgers lost a home game and ended up with six for the 2012 season.

"We'll deal with it in a very direct manner with the league. We're disappointed that we were not made whole on a league (home) game with TCU's departure," athletic director Tim Pernetti told the Star-Ledger. "Having said that, we took control of our situation. While there were opportunities out there to bring a second 1-AA (FCS) opponent in here, that's just not for us any more. We're not doing that again.

"I thought it was more important to think longer term about bringing in an opponent that could return the game, that was a high-profile BCS opponent. We ended to a great resolution to the situation with Arkansas."

The Big East had no comment.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/31564/rutgers-asks-big-east-for-financial-relief
http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/sto...ights-ask-big-east-financial-relief-home-game

We should be doing the same.

I am sure Seton Hall, St John's and Providence already have their checkbooks out...

March, 27, 2012
By Andrea Adelson

Rutgers has asked the Big East for financial relief, after losing a home game because of conference realignment.

TCU was originally slated to visit the Scarlet Knights. But after TCU left for the Big 12, Rutgers lost a home game and ended up with six for the 2012 season.

"We'll deal with it in a very direct manner with the league. We're disappointed that we were not made whole on a league (home) game with TCU's departure," athletic director Tim Pernetti told the Star-Ledger. "Having said that, we took control of our situation. While there were opportunities out there to bring a second 1-AA (FCS) opponent in here, that's just not for us any more. We're not doing that again.

"I thought it was more important to think longer term about bringing in an opponent that could return the game, that was a high-profile BCS opponent. We ended to a great resolution to the situation with Arkansas."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/31564/rutgers-asks-big-east-for-financial-relief
http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/sto...ights-ask-big-east-financial-relief-home-game
Wow. Dumbest AD ever. Good luck with that.

Where do you think their releif money will be coming from?

That's right...the WVU, Pitt and SU settlement. Wouldn't be surprised for each of the remaining football schools (that aren't leaving) were to follow suit.

I think Rutgers ought to sue...UConn will be happy to sign on.

In an ironic way, maybe Rutgers' position will actually help us in our quest to leave.

In an ironic way, maybe Rutgers' position will actually help us in our quest to leave.

I would think it will. RU arguing that it hurts them just helps the case that we too were hurt and shouldn't have to pay so much when we leave. I really wish the WV thing woulda been settled earlier so we could be in the ACC this year.

The man's in way over his head --- Waaaaay over.

Shows the sheer desperation of that athletic department after the stadium expansion fiasco. That school is flat broke.

March, 27, 2012
By Andrea Adelson

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/story/_/id/7743625/rutgers-scarlet-knights-ask-big-east-financial-relief-home-game[/quote]

There is no way. If Rutgers gets paid then the BE will have to pay everybody who lost a home game including Syracuse and Pitt

they have to come up with the 700 grand they paid for a head coach-

bees: absolutely,give them credit that was good thinking by pernetti

bees: absolutely,give them credit that was good thinking by pernetti

I disagree that we should ask the way Rutgers did. Sorry, I don't want to ever be perceived like that. It's a school that fleeces it's general fund to take the Athletic Department out of the red and make the bottom line $0. And now the school is probably in-fighting about that, which is probably what led to this pathetic, desperate request.

But like others said in this thread, we should absolutely bring it up as part of the exit fee negotiations.

I disagree that we should ask the way Rutgers did. Sorry, I don't want to ever be perceived like that. It's a school that fleeces it's general fund to take the Athletic Department out of the red and make the bottom line $0. And now the school is probably in-fighting about that, which is probably what led to this pathetic, desperate request.

But like others said in this thread, we should absolutely bring it up as part of the exit fee negotiations.

The whole Rutgers dream (or scam) has always been based on building demand for something even though the State has shown little interest in Rutgers athletics for 200 years.

Building interest explains their scheduling. The reasoning has been New Jerseyans will never support a program with a losing record. So we are better off winning against greatly inferior competiton than we are chancing it against stronger teams.

Expanding the stadium was an attempt to keep the ball rolling ... to build momentum.

The problem is that Rutgers has never been able to win enough to keep any kind of meomentum going. And now with their costs at an extremely high level and the State in bad financial shape, they are scrambling.

They are now firmly in Conference USA 2. No other power conference is coming to their rescue. Not the Big 10. Not the ACC. Not the Big 12. They are now in for years of playing SMU and Houston and Central Florida and more schools with little fan or viewer appeal. Mulcahy's dream is about to come crashing down.

As Chip said above ... This is a "pathetic, desperate request". But these are desperate times for them.

The whole Rutgers dream (or scam) has always been based on building demand for something even though the State has shown little interest in Rutgers athletics for 200 years.

Building interest explains their scheduling. The reasoning has been New Jerseyans will never support a program with a losing record. So we are better off winning against greatly inferior competiton than we are chancing it against stronger teams.

Expanding the stadium was an attempt to keep the ball rolling ... to build momentum.

The problem is that Rutgers has never been able to win enough to keep any kind of meomentum going. And now with their costs at an extremely high level and the State in bad financial shape, they are scrambling.

They are now firmly in Conference USA 2. No other power conference is coming to their rescue. Not the Big 10. Not the ACC. Not the Big 12. They are now in for years of playing SMU and Houston and Central Florida and more schools with little fan or viewer appeal. Mulcahy's dream is about to come crashing down.

As Chip said above ... This is a "pathetic, desperate request". But these are desperate times for them.

Don't forget that they just lost the only coach who made them somewhat relevant, even if for just one Thursday night. And could not get a coach with name appeal to take the job.

I think they just provided fodder for negative recruiting, what next a soup kitchen?

Exactly. Whether we get $5M due to their ineptitude or they reduce our buyout by $5M it's all the same. Behind the scenes it should be used as a threat or negotiation point. Something that compensates us for them being idiots.

For multiple reasons, we need to find a way to win the Big East next year and embarrass the conference.

-10-1.jpg

Yeah, whether this is a smart move or pathetic one, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't give the impression of a program flush with cash.

March, 27, 2012
By Andrea Adelson

Three thoughts -

1. Wow, Rutgers is in bad shape financially if they have to ask the conference for money to make up for the loss of a home game.

2. We, too, lost a home game vs. TCU due to their departure, so if Rutgers gets the money, so should we and the other 2 schools who had TCU home games on next year's schedule. (I realize it will just be used in reduction of our debt for leaving, but Rutgers is asking for something like $1.5 M for the game. That is some reasonable $$$ if we could get it.)

3 What in the hell is Rutgers thinking in going to the press with this story ? Are they trying get kicked out of the Big East, which would "free them up" to be scooped up by the Big 10 ?? LOL

For multiple reasons, we need to find a way to win the Big East next year and embarrass the conference.

-10-1.jpg

Syracuse leaving is the most embarrassing thing I can think of.

We were a Charter member and some would say, the leading voice.

The addition of the football schools prior to BC et al leaving , was at our request or even insistence.

Now we are bolting, as if to say, all that was just not enough.

In spite of all the "whistling past the graveyard" they are doing, the remaining schools are left holding a huge bag of crap.

Silly Buttgers... Let Prov, Hall, Nova, St. Johns and Gtown get there payouts from the leaving schools first... Then, maybe, if there is any money left over, you and the other football schools can have some.

This is the Big East!

Nobody cares about your football problems...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom