Lone Survivor | Syracusefan.com

Lone Survivor

Awesome movie. I just got home from seeing it. I read the book back when it came out and when I heard they were making a movie about it I waited and waited for it to come out. Didn't disappoint that's for sure

Very good movie. Thought it was cool that the actual "Marcus Luttrell" was in the movie, quite a bit at the beginning.

As usual, Wahlberg rocks.

Very good movie. Thought it was cool that the actual "Marcus Luttrell" was in the movie, quite a bit at the beginning.

As usual, Wahlberg rocks.

He was on the chopper when it went down as well. I was watching the "first look" HBO did and they interviewed a bunch of former SEALS who trained the actors. They all were in the movie as well. The book is very good as well.

Went to it yesterday All I can say is Wow Great Movie!! So real to me. I worked in the JOC (Joint Operations Center) at Bahgram Airbase. The place the Seal Commander called in to after the seal team missed theit 3rd radio check. It was harder working in their then being on the ground at times. It was so hard to listening to guys beg for help and you can't get it their fast enough. The end of the Movie killed me. I sat in the my seat for about 10 mins after it ended gathering my self. I wife and kids didn't say a word to me. They knew it hit home with me.

Lt Michael Murphy won the Congresional Medal of Honor. He is also a Penn St Grad

Lt Michael Murphy won the Congresional Medal of Honor. He is also a Penn St Grad

He also had a US Navy Destroyer named after him...

uss-mm-2.jpg

Awesome movie. I just got home from seeing it. I read the book back when it came out and when I heard they were making a movie about it I waited and waited for it to come out. Didn't disappoint that's for sure
I read the book. Did it stay on point with that?

Book made me cry like a bittch with a skinned knee.

Went to it yesterday All I can say is Wow Great Movie!! So real to me. I worked in the JOC (Joint Operations Center) at Bahgram Airbase. The place the Seal Commander called in to after the seal team missed theit 3rd radio check. It was harder working in their then being on the ground at times. It was so hard to listening to guys beg for help and you can't get it their fast enough. The end of the Movie killed me. I sat in the my seat for about 10 mins after it ended gathering my self. I wife and kids didn't say a word to me. They knew it hit home with me.

Only honorable PSU grad ever.

I can't even begin to imagine. I am very thankful for your service and also very sorry for some of the experiences to which you bore witness.

Semper Fi.

edowd26 said:
I read the book. Did it stay on point with that?

Book made me cry like a bittch with a skinned knee.

Yes and no. The sequence of events stayed true to the book but a lot was made more dramatic. Especially when the 3 died. Those parts were completely done for Hollywood effect. My biggest gripe with the movie was the fact that mark Wahlberg still had hisd Boston accent even though Luttrell was a country boy from texas. Speaking of books. I just started reading his second book called service: a Navy seal at war. So far Good read. Starts after op red wing and goes into his integration back into the seal teams and iraq

Yes and no. The sequence of events stayed true to the book but a lot was made more dramatic. Especially when the 3 died. Those parts were completely done for Hollywood effect. My biggest gripe with the movie was the fact that mark Wahlberg still had hisd Boston accent even though Luttrell was a country boy from texas. Speaking of books. I just started reading his second book called service: a Navy seal at war. So far Good read. Starts after op red wing and goes into his integration back into the seal teams and iraq
In the movie trailer it looks like wahlberg is making that Afghanistan help him (he has a grenade in his hand) . Is that when he is getting helped initially? Or when the Taliban finds him in that village? Because I don't want that dude who helped him villainized.

edowd26 said:
In the movie trailer it looks like wahlberg is making that Afghanistan help him (he has a grenade in his hand) . Is that when he is getting helped initially? Or when the Taliban finds him in that village? Because I don't want that dude who helped him villainized.

Actually the way the trailer is set up for that part is 2 different scenes. In the book while is avoiding capture he is still killing the guys chasing him with his side arm and grenades while crawling 7 miles. I the movie he finds a place to rest falls asleep wakes up and find water. Goes ti it and that's when the Afghanistan guy helps him. The rest of the movie is all made up for the movie and doesn't Happen in the book.

Actually the way the trailer is set up for that part is 2 different scenes. In the book while is avoiding capture he is still killing the guys chasing him with his side arm and grenades while crawling 7 miles. I the movie he finds a place to rest falls asleep wakes up and find water. Goes ti it and that's when the Afghanistan guy helps him. The rest of the movie is all made up for the movie and doesn't Happen in the book.
Not thrilled. The real story is intense. Damn you Hollywood. I also read that Murphys parents didn't like lattrells book because they think him saying their son put killing a civilian to a vote was bs. They said their son would never do that. And under regular circumstances he probably wouldn't. But that was a fugged up scenario.

edowd26 said:
Not thrilled. The real story is intense. Damn you Hollywood. I also read that Murphys parents didn't like lattrells book because they think him saying their son put killing a civilian to a vote was bs. They said their son would never do that. And under regular circumstances he probably wouldn't. But that was a fugged up scenario.

I read that they were upset with him because what he told them was different than what he wrote in the book

I read that they were upset with him because what he told them was different than what he wrote in the book
Which generally makes sense. But if you're going to eventually write about you should clarify with the next of kin. None of what I read was pretty. No "he died quickly and without pain" those heroes went hard with multiple wounds. Hard dudes.

edowd26 said:
Which generally makes sense. But if you're going to eventually write about you should clarify with the next of kin. None of what I read was pretty. No "he died quickly and without pain" those heroes went hard with multiple wounds. Hard dudes.

I agree. The book was intense. I sleep better at night knowing these guys protect this country.

I liked it. It was kinda sad at the end when they showed the actual people who died. Im far from emotional but it brought a tear to my eye,

Same here, that struck me pretty hard. What these guys are willing to give up for us cant be put into words. They are so much more of a man than I'll ever be.

My coworker worked with Lt Murphy for 6 months when he was fresh out of SEAL Training. He told me he knew he was special when he worked with him. Like you Jim...I just sat there after the movie ended as I worked with guys like them all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom