Long Songs ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Long Songs ...

Sorry, sometimes I get stuck, last one. Please, if you never ever listened to Jerry Band because you just thought the Grateful Dead were a bunch of LSD droppin freak hippies selling $1 grilled cheese sandwiches and doing whippets against a 1974 WV bus, expand your horizons.

I recall that a chick in my ENG225 class at SU wrote about Mission in the Rain for her final project. This is a whole set, and I am guessing all of the songs are >4 minutes.

Mark Knopfler ain't got on Jerry.

Harry is one of my all time favorites. I think he is woefully underappreciated.

I got to see him back in the late 70's, and it was fabulous concert. His brother Tom was the opening act, incidentally. Early on, some guy in the crowd kept yelling "Bananas!" After about the third time, Harry stood up and said, "Yes, yes, we're gonna play it. We're gonna play them all for you." The crowd cheered and the guy stopped yelling. I was sitting in about row 10, and it was just a great night. We lost him way too soon. He drove like a crazy man, though. When he got into the collision that took his life, he was driving with a suspended license.

Sorry, sometimes I get stuck, last one. Please, if you never ever listened to Jerry Band because you just thought the Grateful Dead were a bunch of LSD droppin freak hippies selling $1 grilled cheese sandwiches and doing whippets against a 1974 WV bus, expand your horizons.

I recall that a chick in my ENG225 class at SU wrote about Mission in the Rain for her final project. This is a whole set, and I am guessing all of the songs are >4 minutes.

Mark Knopfler ain't got on Jerry.
Thankful to have seen both Jerry Band (Knickerbocker Arena Albany) and the Dead (Nassau Colosseum, The Knick and many places I am probably leaving out).
As mentioned somewhere else, one of those shows was the first time they played Casey Jones in 20+ years.
:)

This came out about the same time as In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida, and we kibbutzed over which was the greater drum-work. I argued for Ron Bushy's effort, but when you consider the role of the drummer in a band, Ginger Baker's solo in this was groundbreaking. Together, I figure anyway, they took drums past being merely a time keeper and introduced it/them as an instrument.

One of the most entertaining of the hard rocking stage bands, these guys got a lot of mileage out of just the three of 'em. I saw them in 1975 or 76, and although they hadn't done anything much that was original for a few years, their stage show was a still a good one. I like their hard stuff better than their pop thing (The Locomotion) ...