Looking ahead - Next years Roster | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead - Next years Roster

Where are you getting “insist on playing” from?

If he's so hurt that he can't play, he must still be saying he's good to go if the coach is running him out there.

Somebody has to own it, if your "star" player is injured and can't perform. Play the next guy.

What about the heavy kid, Qadir White? What are we waiting for? He's been in the program for 3 years already. Give him a chance. Maybe he'll pancake some guys and help our inside running game.

If the kid is on a scholarship, and this season is already a lost season, then don't play injured guys if there are healthy guys you could be taking a look at.

Does anybody really disagree with that?
What is to be gained from playing injured players who can't make the grade?

What did Boeheim gain by playing Quincy Guerrier the last month of last season when he had a torn groin muscle that required surgery, and couldn't jump? You've got Robert Braswell on the bench. Why not play him instead?

When guys are HURT, give the next guy a chance.

We should review S&C, Nutrition, Training and Medical staff.

It's not for the hurt guy who isn't doing the job to say.

Give a healthy player a chance to see what he can do.

Kids don't get better if they don't play live competition.
1. Agree - It’s for the coaches to say, of course.
2. Do we have a healthy player who can truly step in? I think our back up on the 2 deep (one for both tackle spots) is listed at 265 - not ideal for an ACC tackle who will be facing DE’s around the same weight.
3. Generally agree - however, please see #2 above.

If he's so hurt that he can't play, he must still be saying he's good to go if the coach is running him out there.

Somebody has to own it, if your "star" player is injured and can't perform. Play the next guy.

What about the heavy kid, Qadir White? What are we waiting for? He's been in the program for 3 years already. Give him a chance. Maybe he'll pancake some guys and help our inside running game.

If the kid is on a scholarship, and this season is already a lost season, then don't play injured guys if there are healthy guys you could be taking a look at.

Does anybody really disagree with that?
What is to be gained from playing injured players who can't make the grade?

What did Boeheim gain by playing Quincy Guerrier the last month of last season when he had a torn groin muscle that required surgery, and couldn't jump? You've got Robert Braswell on the bench. Why not play him instead?

When guys are HURT, give the next guy a chance.
You’re reaching big time.
Servais is playing because the coaches think he is the best option.

i think all my threads should be pinned

pure gold I tell ya

You left out "... Jerry" at the end - "They're pure gold, Jerry! Gold, I tell ya!"

2. Do we have a healthy player who can truly step in? I think our back up on the 2 deep (one for both tackle spots) is listed at 265 - not ideal for an ACC tackle who will be facing DE’s around the same weight.

Dude, you can't judge the bench until they play.
You don't "Truly" find out anything about a football player until the guy across the line smashes you in the mouth,

Let us begin again.

There's a difference between criticizing the staff for poor roster management (warranted) and criticizing an individual player repeatedly who is playing injured and not playing at his best position on the line due to lack of better options. If there were better options he wouldn't be playing Tackle. Period.
Nailed it.

While we're at it, with the "are they ready" stuff - our LBs and DEs are all already undersized.

Joe Girard was not a "regulation sized" ACC level point guard. None of our centers measure up to "ACC regulation sized" in hoops,.

It's about heart, about coaching, about conditioning and about system fit.

You’re reaching big time.
Servais is playing because the coaches think he is the best option.

Honest question.
How many times in the last 2 seasons have defensive linemen just blown past him before he even gets out of his stance?

They beat him standing still when he played center last year, and they are doing it again this season at tackle.

It's like asking "how many times has Tommy run out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing the ball away?", or "how many times has Tommy taken a sack because he doesn't feel the rush?"

I mean, it hurts to watch. It literally hurts. I lose "net fun" watching our football team.

And the stat I heard is that less than 50 percent of the players who enter the portal receive full scholarships from another school. So, it’s a crap shoot for teams and for the players.
Unfortunately for them, once they put their name in the portal, their current school no longer is bound to their scholarship.

Honest question.
How many times in the last 2 seasons have defensive linemen just blown past him before he even gets out of his stance?

They beat him standing still when he played center last year, and they are doing it again this season at tackle.

It's like asking "how many times has Tommy run out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing the ball away?", or "how many times has Tommy taken a sack because he doesn't feel the rush?"

I mean, it hurts to watch. It literally hurts. I lose "net fun" watching our football team.

I agree mostly, looking at the train wreck on the OL last year, Whoever was watching practice..and then evaluating the OL after moving Servais to center either is a poor talent evaluator or is just to stubborn with some decisions on the OL.. becasue i wanted them to move the freshman to center from Game 2. It was apparent the Center play last year until week 8 was the worst i have ever seen.. and maybe was the worst stretch of Center play over an 8 game stretch of any P5 Center in the last 20 years... It certainly brought to my attention we could have Staff issues... It was so uncanny when we started the FR at Center how the line play moved to just about average instead of the dumpster fire it had been.

Ofcourse this year, is a different circumstance and i really don't think there is much that can be done in our current situation

I agree mostly, looking at the train wreck on the OL last year, Whoever was watching practice..and then evaluating the OL after moving Servais to center either is a poor talent evaluator or is just to stubborn with some decisions on the OL.. becasue i wanted them to move the freshman to center from Game 2. It was apparent the Center play last year until week 8 was the worst i have ever seen.. and maybe was the worst stretch of Center play over an 8 game stretch of any P5 Center in the last 20 years... It certainly brought to my attention we could have Staff issues... It was so uncanny when we started the FR at Center how the line play moved to just about average instead of the dumpster fire it had been.

Ofcourse this year, is a different circumstance and i really don't think there is much that can be done in our current situation

Was the weight loss what really threw things off? 2018 was much better.

Qadir White couldn't beat out a converted 6'0 nose tackle for a starting guard position or a career backup for a backup position in his 3rd year in the program. It's so bad that Patrick Davis literally is backing up BOTH guard positions...all year so far. Yet he's the answer? He's more apt to get injured being overweight and out of shape than anything else and that's probably why he's not playing. Very reasonable and well thought out suggestion though. :confused:

He slimmed down to play tackle (not sure if that was planned or not) and then got bounced back inside to play C due to injury and was much less effective than his first 2 years. He hasn't been as effective at tackle as he was at guard/C his first 2 years when he was over 300 pounds.

Its probably more talent than anything... Unless you are a 5* talent or close to it... it can be difficult to move into other positions.. The weight definately didn't help in the middle though. I could give a rats A$$ about slim build to be able to go fast... I want beef and i want almost as much size as i can get in the ACC on BOTH lines.. I mean one of our problems is we got guys playing out of position on both lines and act like its normal.. its certainly a problem on the D line IMO... We just cant have that we do not have the talent for it.. get guys into there positions and keep them there.. recruit the proper type of player for that position and keep them there.. if that means adding a few guys in an area more than you would like then so be it..especially on the Lines.. teh 14th WR on the bench is not doing to much for you. And yes i know regardless.. this year is a different animal on the OL

Qadir White couldn't beat out a converted 6'0 nose tackle for a starting guard position or a career backup for a backup position in his 3rd year in the program. It's so bad that Patrick Davis literally is backing up BOTH guard positions...all year so far. Yet he's the answer? He's more apt to get injured being overweight and out of shape than anything else and that's probably why he's not playing. Very reasonable and well thought out suggestion though. :confused:
Injured. And I dont expect Pat Davis to use his scooter to drive over people. What is it? 1 or is it 2? More oline injuries and we can forfeit games? Should we have the couple guys playing through something sit, to get the forfeit?

In a normal year then yes. This season is about building for the future for every school without conference championship aspirations. Playing a young guy even if he is worse will make us a better team next season. There is nothing else for us to play for this season. How does a him playing hurt make us better next season?
unless the freshie gets hurt because he's not up to weight/strength yet. Then next year he's out with an injury

You know what? If we only have 7 guys, that's not counting Qadir White. If we are going to go 1-10 anyway, and watch 5 guys a game just run past Aaron Servais while he's still in his stance, how much worse is Qadir White going to do? Seriously?

Let him play a couple series. If he gives up a sack or two, or jumps offsides or holds a guy, who cares? Made after 2 or 3 games, we can use him to run block on short yardage, y'know, something we completely are unable to do right now.

Qadir White has 40 pounds on our converted TE who is playing LG. Maybe we would give up fewer sacks, just getting in the way of rushers. We're the *worst team in America* right now. How much worse could the other guys possibly be???

You know what? If we only have 7 guys, that's not counting Qadir White. If we are going to go 1-10 anyway, and watch 5 guys a game just run past Aaron Servais while he's still in his stance, how much worse is Qadir White going to do? Seriously?

Let him play a couple series. If he gives up a sack or two, or jumps offsides or holds a guy, who cares? Made after 2 or 3 games, we can use him to run block on short yardage, y'know, something we completely are unable to do right now.

Qadir White has 40 pounds on our converted TE who is playing LG. Maybe we would give up fewer sacks, just getting in the way of rushers. We're the *worst team in America* right now. How much worse could the other guys possibly be???

You’re calling a guy who is playing injured as terrible yet the guy that has so much motivation that he can’t even get in proper shape to play deserves a shot...

Grab a helmet, dude. You're next man up. Good luck.

If you're on a scholarship, or even a preferred walk-on, you should be DYING to get on the field. You should *believe* that you are better than the other guy ahead of you who is playing and stinking out the joint.

You’re calling a guy who is playing injured as terrible yet the guy that has so much motivation that he can’t even get in proper shape to play deserves a shot...

Who knows if he can play? All we know is that Dino deems him "too fat" to run this "fast paced" offense that we no longer run.

You don't think a 340 lb bulldozer could open a hole? Why not put him out there, and if he gets embarrassed on a few plays, we'll find out if he's a man or not, if he has any fight in him, any pride. If he doesn't, then move him out.
I don't see the point in holding one of 85 scholarships for a guy who you will NEVER apparently play for three years now. What is the point of that?

Who knows if he can play? All we know is that Dino deems him "too fat" to run this "fast paced" offense that we no longer run.

You don't think a 340 lb bulldozer could open a hole? Why not put him out there, and if he gets embarrassed on a few plays, we'll find out if he's a man or not, if he has any fight in him, any pride. If he doesn't, then move him out.
I don't see the point in holding one of 85 scholarships for a guy who you will NEVER apparently play for three years now. What is the point of that?

No I don’t think he can play. With the current situation and this two deep, Dino Babers would have to have the IQ of a doorknob not to have him on the 2 deep under the circumstances If he was capable of contributing. He’s not capable of contributing.

Did you see the video of him on the sideline? Kid has some serious health issues imo. He doesn't even look like a football player at this point...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom