Looking ahead - Next years Roster | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead - Next years Roster

I get your point but Liberty had a former stud P5 QB and they’re lower on the pecking order than we are. What other P5 school is better for a former star Northeast QB??
Liberty is probably doing some shady stuff. I’m ready for SU to cheat and get creative. Maybe we get slapped in the wrist maybe we don’t. Playing nice doesn’t work in big time sports. We need to find the next fad and strike while it’s a novelty. Maybe we become the destination for transgender dual threat QBs. I have no clue anymore.

Last edited:
We need a transfer QB above all else. Someone who has something to prove. I don't know how you underground source these but I sure as hell hope we are sniffing around at the Floridas, Ohio States, Texas, etc to see if there is someone layered there.

If Syracuse had Kevin Mason this year we'd be 2 wins better right now. Think about that.

For some reason I found this outstanding! Kevin Mason running this offensive, okay I can see it. That Oklahoma game still gives me nightmares. Stupid celebration penalty.

Thinking he's a movie star, and perhaps not putting in the necessary work.
I mean, I can't imagine why people are going right past him like he's standing still. I just don't get it.
But there's no denying that he's terrible now. Probably the worst guy on the line, or at least he was last year.
This year, there are a lot of candidates, unfortunately.
As I posted a few days ago the young man is playing with multiple owies and could have opted out !! He is a true tough guy and team player !

If guys recover and Cav can coach we should have a solid OL next year. Wr and RB will be fine as they will all improve and have a full off season to get in sync with Tommy.

On D i like our LBs and DBs. We need to land 2 space eating DTs. Im talking 300 + men. Not 260 pound DEs. Size matters in the 3-3-5 and we are woefully small on the interior.
All in we should win 7 next year and get back on track. If not Dino needs to go.

That’s not logical. What’s more logical is that he is terrible because some dork on a message board says it over and over like a broken record.
That’s not logical. What’s more logical is that he is terrible because some dork on a message board says it over and over like a broken record.
careful

If guys recover and Cav can coach we should have a solid OL next year. Wr and RB will be fine as they will all improve and have a full off season to get in sync with Tommy.

On D i like our LBs and DBs. We need to land 2 space eating DTs. Im talking 300 + men. Not 260 pound DEs. Size matters in the 3-3-5 and we are woefully small on the interior.
All in we should win 7 next year and get back on track. If not Dino needs to go.
Like I posted elsewhere, I actually asked Dino what's he looking for on the DL in the 3-3-5 and he stated quick and active to shoot gaps, not space eaters.

Can this thread be pinned? Go put together some nice framing by position that would be handy to bounce back to from time to time, especially as recruiting picks up by year end.
Buehler?...Buehler?...even if you just pin what Go provided. Position, names and weights are a handy quick reference.

are you saying if we got cade fortin he would have done something this year and is better then Tommy ?

No, I was saying that competition at any position is good, and quality depth is important.

Now that Tommy is injured, I'd much rather have a game-ready starter to slide in than a career backup who has change positions. Nothing against Rex, he's a total bad ass and easy to root for. He has nothing but my utmost respect and admiration. But I'd rather have a guy who gives us a better chance, and Fortin might fit that bill.

No, I was saying that competition at any position is good, and quality depth is important.

Now that Tommy is injured, I'd much rather have a game-ready starter to slide in than a career backup who has change positions. Nothing against Rex, he's a total bad ass and easy to root for. He has nothing but my utmost respect and admiration. But I'd rather have a guy who gives us a better chance, and Fortin might fit that bill.
Cade is third string at USF 2-6 fir 14 yards I saw his film yawn

Fix the oline and the QB issue becomes much less of an issue.. Get the oline healthy and thats a start. We have a kid who is close to avg 100 yds a game running behind an oline struggling. TD has shown some good numbers when not running for his life.. At some point you need to get an oline where the QB has time 75% of the time. Servais healthy, the transfer and 1 of the Davis/Red combined with what we have now should be Ok next yr..

He also wouldn't accept the excuse of you guys knowing.

Well, then, he shouldn't freaking play.

I don't get this. Boeheim has been doing this the past few years, too.

If a guy is injured - DON'T PLAY HIM!
Play the healthy back-up and let him get valuable, real-game experience.

And if the player KNOWS he can't make the play - TAKE YOURSELF OUT.

OWN IT. I'M SICK OF THIS STUPID SHEET.

Fix the oline and the QB issue becomes much less of an issue.. Get the oline healthy and thats a start. We have a kid who is close to avg 100 yds a game running behind an oline struggling. TD has shown some good numbers when not running for his life.. At some point you need to get an oline where the QB has time 75% of the time. Servais healthy, the transfer and 1 of the Davis/Red combined with what we have now should be Ok next yr..

Third year in a row saying this, unfortunately...

As I posted a few days ago the young man is playing with multiple owies and could have opted out !! He is a true tough guy and team player !

If your performance is hurting the team as clearly as his is, then if you still insist on playing when you know you're not up to the job, that's selfish. That's narcissistic. That's not a team first mentality, if you can't do the job. Next man up. It's not just a saying.

If your performance is hurting the team as clearly as his is, then if you still insist on playing when you know you're not up to the job, that's selfish. That's narcissistic. That's not a team first mentality, if you can't do the job. Next man up. It's not just a saying.
Assuming, of course, that the next man up can get the job done better.

I think we are down to 7 scholarship players on the OL.

The two subs are a true frosh who did not even have the summer to learn the plays, and an undersized JUCO transfer whose experience consists of one year of low level JUCO ball in the USA.

Pretty sure if the staff had better options, they would be playing them. We are very close to having to shut the football program down due to massive injuries.

I think we are down to 7 scholarship players on the OL

The two subs are a true frosh who did not even have the summer to learn the plays, and an undersized JUCO transfer whose experience consists of one year of low level JUCO ball in the USA.

Pretty sure if the staff had better options, they would be playing them. We are very close to having to shut the football program down due to massive injuries.

Since this is not a one-off problem, clearly there is something wrong with strength & conditioning or the way they practice, or both.

Last edited:
Since this is not a one-off problem, clearly there is something wrong with strength & conditioning or the way the practice, or both.
I think it is more complex than that. One guy apparently got hurt walking on stairs. Another apparently was hurt in a non contact drill in the spring. Someone got hurt in the spring and it was thought he was okay but he wasn't properly examined and it turned out he needed surgery (might have been one of the first two).

Another apparently has a condition that prevents him from playing. Think it is hereditary. We lost a few guys who should be seniors and juniors because of concussions.

Lots of different issues are in play here. We might need to do a better job vetting prospective recruits before offering them. We might be better at identifying medical problems and getting them treated in a timely fashion, but some of the problems here went down in the spring, when COVID hit, and complicated matters, especially medical ones. Pretty sure you couldn't see a doctor unless it was a major, life threatening issue.

I don't think the way the team practices has anything to do with it. If S&C plays a role, I think it is a very minor one. I think our extreme lack of depth actually made things worse as at least one player, really banged up, continues to play hurt, not getting better, maybe getting worse. With a normal OL unit, he would probably have been rested for a week or two and recovered. We didn't have that luxury.

There is such a thing as bad luck and I think it definitely played a role here. I hope the staff does a deep dive and maybe finds some things that could be done better. There probably are some tweaks that can be made. But I think on the whole, we are doing our S&C okay, and our practices are fine. We just need a normal stretch of luck and more bodies to work with. The incoming class will help address this. Hopefully the banged up guys all come back and we will have good depth next year.

Last edited:

dork, ha.
I think we are down to 7 scholarship players on the OL.

stop with the rationality, it’s so out of place here

Looks like we may be pursuing a QB transfer from Miss St? Whether he can play or not, that is a great step. TD needs legitimate competition. He hasn't had that since ED left and he plays as if he knows there is no better option. There always needs to be active competition in the QB room if your team is going to be successful.

Assuming, of course, that the next man up can get the job done better.

In a normal year then yes. This season is about building for the future for every school without conference championship aspirations. Playing a young guy even if he is worse will make us a better team next season. There is nothing else for us to play for this season. How does a him playing hurt make us better next season?

What next man? Lol.

Not making excuses- regardless the circumstance - is generally a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom