Looking ahead - Next years Roster | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead - Next years Roster

If your performance is hurting the team as clearly as his is, then if you still insist on playing when you know you're not up to the job, that's selfish. That's narcissistic. That's not a team first mentality, if you can't do the job. Next man up. It's not just a saying.
There is nobody else did u not see we put rhino at gaurd ? Doing ok but no experience what does that tell you . The coaches would do something if they could . I guess you don’t follow the team

QB and RB. I think it's essential for any chance at success next year that Devito comes back. I'd hate to see a restart there. There's always a chance that Rex kills the audition, but I'm not counting on that. Also why it's essential that the freshmen extended snaps to see what potential is there.

RB - assume Elmore comes back and goes back to his FB/TE role. Jordan and Tucker are different enough that I would call them co-ones to fill different jobs. Think Hough takes the Howard slot as the third back.

No.NamePos.Ht.Wt.Yr.YrInDC
13Tommy DeVitoQB6/2221R-Jr.41
11Dillon MarkiewiczQB6/5216Fr.12
15JaCobian MorganQB6/4203Fr.13
16David SummersQB6/2214R-Fr.24
Justin LamsonQB6/3210R05
63Chris ElmoreRB6/1288Sr.41
25Jawhar JordanRB5/9172R-Fr.21
34Sean TuckerRB5/10202Fr.11
Josh HoughRB6/2235R02
22Markenzy PierreRB5/11216R-Jr.43
24Cooper LutzRB6/1201R-So.34
I will bet my last dollar that we’ve seen DeVito throw his last pass in an SU uniform.

There is nobody else did u not see we put rhino at gaurd ? Doing ok but no experience what does that tell you . The coaches would do something if they could . I guess you don’t follow the team

My only defense to that, is how do you even let it get this bad? Anybody could tell that we were dangerously thin at OL...at least with guys we knew were some what game ready. Why were we bringing in so few offensive lineman when we knew this has been a weakness? There are position groups that are far too imbalanced.

My only defense to that, is how do you even let it get this bad? Anybody could tell that we were dangerously thin at OL...at least with guys we knew were some what game ready. Why were we bringing in so few offensive lineman when we knew this has been a weakness? There are position groups that are far too imbalanced.
Because spring was supposed to have them all more developed... ohh. And not injured.

Can we see Garrett Shrader in a Syracuse uniform next year?

I will bet my last dollar that we’ve seen DeVito throw his last pass in an SU uniform.

Shouldn’t we start playing somebody that’s going to be here next year then? Or are we going to get bring in a transfer?

Shouldn’t we start playing somebody that’s going to be here next year then? Or are we going to get bring in a transfer?

Hmmmm we just reached out to a QB fresh on the transfer portal.

Hmmmm we just reached out to a QB fresh on the transfer portal.

He said Syracuse contacted but not Dino. Maybe that means he is following Moorhead here next year.:confused:

we had all the injuries happen in June July August it’s really bad luck . After 2 years in a row I’m sure you will see extra elephants on the roster

FWIW SU has the same number of OL on it's roster as BC and only 1 less OL as Pitt.

Positional group imbalance, playing players out of position because of need, playing players who aren't 100% because of need, lack of inadequate quality depth...

Those are all issues with the line this year. Cracks me up to see suggestions of NEXT MAN UP! When there aren't any.

Positional group imbalance, playing players out of position because of need, playing players who aren't 100% because of need, lack of inadequate quality depth...

Those are all issues with the line this year. Cracks me up to see suggestions of NEXT MAN UP! When there aren't any.

That has been the issue with the OL since Dino got here. He couldn't control the first three years but he certainly could control the last two. How do we only have 4 upperclassmen at OL this year? Why were we forced to play guys way too young last year? Why not bring in an older body via transfer for depth this year (Bleich is still young and wasn't likely to be eligible this year). Why did he not bring in more recruits 3 and 4 years ago? Guys who woudl have been upperclassmen the last two years?

Yes, we have had a ton of bad luck. But we also have had bad planning. That cannot be excused.

I think it is more complex than that. One guy apparently got hurt walking on stairs. Another apparently was hurt in a non contact drill in the spring. Someone got hurt in the spring and it was thought he was okay but he wasn't properly examined and it turned out he needed surgery (might have been one of the first two).

Another apparently has a condition that prevents him from playing. Think it is hereditary. We lost a few guys who should be seniors and juniors because of concussions.

Lots of different issues are in play here. We might need to do a better job vetting prospective recruits before offering them. We might be better at identifying medical problems and getting them treated in a timely fashion, but some of the problems here went down in the spring, when COVID hit, and complicated matters, especially medical ones. Pretty sure you couldn't see a doctor unless it was a major, life threatening issue.

I don't think the way the team practices has anything to do with it. If S&C plays a role, I think it is a very minor one. I think our extreme lack of depth actually made things worse as at least one player, really banged up, continues to play hurt, not getting better, maybe getting worse. With a normal OL unit, he would probably have been rested for a week or two and recovered. We didn't have that luxury.

There is such a thing as bad luck and I think it definitely played a role here. I hope the staff does a deep dive and maybe finds some things that could be done better. There probably are some tweaks that can be made. But I think on the whole, we are doing our S&C okay, and our practices are fine. We just need a normal strength of luck and more bodies to work with. The incoming class will help address this. Hopefully the banged up guys all come back and we will have good depth next year.
Wow. The truth spoken. No easy answers. It’s complex, unfortunate and unpredictable. Thanks, Sutomcat. You nailed it.

There are 176 QBs in the portal right now that’s real not a joke
And the stat I heard is that less than 50 percent of the players who enter the portal receive full scholarships from another school. So, it’s a crap shoot for teams and for the players.

That has been the issue with the OL since Dino got here. He couldn't control the first three years but he certainly could control the last two. How do we only have 4 upperclassmen at OL this year? Why were we forced to play guys way too young last year? Why not bring in an older body via transfer for depth this year (Bleich is still young and wasn't likely to be eligible this year). Why did he not bring in more recruits 3 and 4 years ago? Guys who woudl have been upperclassmen the last two years?

Yes, we have had a ton of bad luck. But we also have had bad planning. That cannot be excused.

Check out this thread. Bad roster management has definitely been a factor but I'd say it's still mostly injuries playing a part.

There's a difference between criticizing the staff for poor roster management (warranted) and criticizing an individual player repeatedly who is playing injured and not playing at his best position on the line due to lack of better options. If there were better options he wouldn't be playing Tackle. Period.

Assuming, of course, that the next man up can get the job done better.

It's not for the hurt guy who isn't doing the job to say.

Give a healthy player a chance to see what he can do.

Kids don't get better if they don't play live competition.

If your performance is hurting the team as clearly as his is, then if you still insist on playing when you know you're not up to the job, that's selfish. That's narcissistic. That's not a team first mentality, if you can't do the job. Next man up. It's not just a saying.
Where are you getting “insist on playing” from?

I think it is more complex than that. One guy apparently got hurt walking on stairs. Another apparently was hurt in a non contact drill in the spring. Someone got hurt in the spring and it was thought he was okay but he wasn't properly examined and it turned out he needed surgery (might have been one of the first two).

Some of these things sound like kids who don't really want to play.

I've been on really good teams, and really bad, demoralized teams. It can be really hard, I get it. But you don't hurt yourself walking on the stairs.

This will sound terrible to say (Al Bundy time), but as a long distance runner, I ran through a broken ankle bone, which I thought was just a sprain that was taking a long time to go away.

A part of this is "how bad do you want it"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom