Looking ahead to '19-'20 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to '19-'20

billsin01

All American
So we wrapped up this season and I don't think there's much of a need to put a bow on it -- or at least no need to belabor what happened. We ran into a team that was very well prepared for the zone and simply made everything they put up. Whether or not we should have gone man at some point will be debated until probably 10 years after JB retires but it's sort of immaterial in the sense that we didn't and we don't. The broader point is that the guys on the floor didn't get it done.

So with that, what do we want to see when this team takes the floor next November? I have a laundry list here so I don't think we'll see it all, but it's probably an interesting place to start the discussion.

We need to be able to play faster and function better in faster paced games.
I'll get into our offense a bit more later but I was watching the first 10 mins or so of the Iowa/Tennessee game and those teams are playing ball$ out, flying up and down the court and making plays in transition. I know it's not literally true but it felt like I saw more fast break and, probably equally as important, secondary break opportunities in those 10 minutes than we generated in a season.

Doubt we'll ever see the return of the late 80s style under JB and we're probably unlikely to see an offensive juggernaut like the 09-10 team, but teams are increasingly running five guys who can play offense out there so at times you're going to have to score. We were actually pretty significantly improved in this area this season over last (we lost I think five games when holding teams under 60 last year but we didn't lose a single game that way this season (perhaps b/c we weren't good enough defensively to slow teams down that much, but we did hold 13 teams under 60 and we were 13-0).

But the only shootout we won -- somehow -- was Duke. We were 2-11 in games where teams scored 70. The reality is teams are built to score and the rules and styles dictate that you're going to have a long day sometimes if the only way you win is holding teams 10-15 or 20 points below their averages.

One of the simplest fixes is getting the players we have that can makes some plays with their athleticism into the frontcourt faster. I see three key factors here: 1 -- Can't have our bigs wrestling off imaginary defenders like Chukwu did so often; 2 -- Can't have our guards getting an outlet, steal or long rebound and covering it up like their personal pot of gold and 3 -- and this one may be the most important -- We need to get people filling lanes and getting down the court instead of having four guys asking the one guy with the ball to pass it to them.

I honestly believe this is really basketball 101. Get the ball and go. Don't have to shoot in 10 seconds or less but early shotclock offense and the occasionally fast break or secondary break has to become a bigger part of our arsenal. It was better this season than last but it needs to be a good step or two better next season.

We need to run a better offense. Period.
Whatever we call our offense and however you'd explain it to someone, the bottom line is that it basically sucks. We don't have guys who break other teams down and we're unlikely to have that next year either. In fact, Frank and Tyus were probably our two 'best' players at this and they're gone. But we've had good offensive teams without that -- 09-10 featured Scoop, who was OK at best, Andy and Triche (no ability to blow by defenders), Johnson and Joseph (excellent in the open court and slashing in transition but not dribble-drive guys) and Arinze and RJ (excellent post offense but obviously not putting the ball on the floor).

Maybe Carey or Goodine bring a bit more of that element next season but we're likely to be in a spot where we need to create offense in the halfcourt without a ton of dribble drives. Maybe it's a matter of running Buddy and JGIII off more screens, running Marek/Oshae high-low action, a more effective version of the high ball screen if Carey/Goodine/Marek are a bit more explosive than the Chukwu/Frank/Tyus efforts this year. Maybe it's getting a bit more creative with Hughes so he's not just shooting threes from the wing.

I don't know exactly what the answer is, but watching us run that lame ball screen over and over again as Baylor was pulling away and we were just launching contested long jumpers was brutal. We have to be better and as much as I love JB, that falls at his feet.

We need to find an answer at the 5
I'm not entirely against Marek playing more and I love the idea of a healthy Sidibe ... but we saw Marek get abused in certain matchups defensively even late in the year and (sadly) I really wonder if we ever see the Sidibe we saw early last season. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't know.

I don't know if we take a run at a kid like Smits or someone or if the staff just feels like after another offseason Marek can be pretty competent in there defensively, but man something has to change in there. We don't get a ton of rebounding from Hughes (more on that later) and Marek gets pushed around.

Some individual player thoughts
Lastly, we need to improve individually make sure we are using guys in such a way that we're accentuating what they do best. We've had a weird trend lately of guys showing promise early and then never really reaching a higher level -- Brissett and Lydon are both good players but look like fishes out of water offensively for some reason; Battle improved but we really probably needed him to do wayyyyy too much; Frank got better but never developed into the senior leader that helps make a 20-win season more like a 23-win season; Chukwu was stronger with the ball incredibly inconsistent; Sidibe is probably injured but obviously had a rough year; Dolezaj's jumper improved but his numbers went backwards; Roberson is another of these guys, Cooney struggled with any sort of consistency ... the list goes on.

I specifically didn't mention recruiting b/c I don't think you need Zion to win a bunch of basketball games, but you've got to help these guys improve (and put them in positions to excel with your game plans). Recruiting misses haven't helped, we all know this, but Tennessee has zero top 100 recruits. Same for Buffalo. You can win a lot of games with non-Zions or RJ Barretts -- in fact, anyone thing Cam Reddish (another guy we had our eyes on early in the process) would have actually helped us this year or would he have been yet another guy lingering outside shooting contested jumpers?

So, with that, some individual thoughts:

Oshae
A lot of talk of Oshae regressing this year, but I actually thought he improved. His counting numbers were down, but that had to be expected somewhat with the addition of Hughes and even Buddy knocking down some shots in the second half of the season. Though not necessarily impressive, his numbers on 2-point FGs improved and he spent far less time outside the arc in the second half of the season.

I'm actually fine with Oshae shooting some threes. Obviously 27% is not going to cut it, but he's a player who can make that shot and kids today shoot threes. They just do. I'm OK with it. What he needs to do is spend more time on his mid-range game and working on going straight up instead of constantly leaning side to side or forwards trying to draw contact. Get post position, take a power dribble and go up strong. Catch the ball at the elbow, square up and knock that jumper down if they give it to you.

He's also a guy who would benefit from running the floor and using his athleticism in transition or unsettled situations.

Marek
Gotta add weight, obviously, but he's never going to come back jacked and play at 225, so he is what he is in that way to a degree. Also needs to cut down on the silly fouls. But ultimately I just have him working all summer on that jumper. Make teams pay for playing you with heavier dudes. Step out and knock down some threes, cut across the lane and knock down the jumper. Get confident with that jumper and play aggressively offensively. I really think this is a kid who should be a double-figure scorer -- or at least it should be something that happens far more often than the three times we saw it this year.

By the way, not saying Marek needs to start playing like he's christian laettner but if he's going to be playing big minutes at the 5 and he's going to be giving up some buckets on one end b/c of his lack of heft, he needs to confidently make some teams pay on the offensive end for playing him with stronger dudes.

One plus with Marek is that he could theoretically help us cover those corner threes a bit better than Chukwu.

Carey
Handle, handle, handle. I would be living with him in the gym working on his handle. His shooting will be fine even if he's not great from outside (we shouldn't lack for shooting) but he's a very quick kid with a pretty nice feel for getting to the basket and finding teammates. If he's strong with the ball, that would be a nice help for this team that could have two guys playing at the 2 without great handles (Buddy, JGIII) and a team in desperate need of being able to play a guy who can up the tempo, which we've seen Jalen do.

Defensively his rotations in the zone aren't great, but that's not that unusual for a frosh. Hopefully those get better with reps b/c he's quick enough and long enough to be solid.

Hughes
Hughes had a pretty solid initial year but he's got to diversify his game a bit. He took 68% of his shots from three, which is probably OK b/c he's not settling for a ton of mid-range jumpers, but he's a guy who can finish those 15-footers and get shots in the paint and should be able to get to the line more (about 3 FTs a game). But ultimately what would really help is if he's a stronger rebounder (4.7 rpg in ACC play isn't getting it done) and he's rarely finding teammates (1.5 assists/game in ACC play).

That three spot is typically a guy who can do a bunch of things and right now Hughes is mostly a spot up shooter and not even a guy we get coming off screens very often. This is where a better offensive system might be able to help him. Right now, if he's shooting well he's a big player for us, but when he's not his game is limited to the occasional weak side block or a steal now and then. That's got to improve.

Buddy
There were lots of Buddy/Rautins comps during the season which was driving me crazy b/c while Buddy shot the ball very well and improved defensively, he's still at best an average defensive player (Rautins, at least as a senior was elite), adequate but not great or even good passer (Rautins was excellent), and he's still learning how to move enough without the ball to generate enogh open looks to be a consistent scorer (which is fine, he's a freshman). But one of the best compliments you can pay a player is to say they had a positive impact even when they were missing shots. Rautins was big this way. Buddy, not so much.

Love to see Buddy absolutely crush conditioning in the offseason. If he can get himself a half-step quicker it would make a huge difference on both ends of the floor. He has to take a big step forward defensively and he has to be able to catch-and-shoot quickly. If you watch Reddick play, he is wearing people out with his movement and he's gotten faster as a pro. He is in constant motion offensively and then he's working hard on the other end. Elite conditioning is the only way to sustain that.

Sidibe
Get healthy. If that's possible it would be a massive lift for this team. Hard to state just how important that is.

Braswell
No idea what his offseason should be since we saw so little of him, but he's an intriguing guy. Hard to imagine he's going to play a big role with Guerrier coming in and Oshae likely back in the fold, but I will say I thought he showed some nice feel for the game when he got opportunities.

Summary
Hard to imagine we'll be dramatically different next year than this. Should still be competitive and have some nice moments but would think it will still be a team with enough holes that it will be frustrating at times. The team goal, IMO, should be coming out ready to compete from game 1. Really a pretty brutal pre-conference season this year with two blowout losses to UConn and Oregon back-to-back (and UConn sucked), a loss to UB which hurts even if they are pretty good and a loss to a decent ODU team but one that we had a 12-point second-half lead on. That's not to mention some games against lesser teams that were far too close for comfort. Need to be better early.

It'll also be interesting to watch what we get from the new kids. But ultimately it's not the most exciting time to be a syracuse basketball fan these days.

So we wrapped up this season and I don't think there's much of a need to put a bow on it -- or at least no need to belabor what happened. We ran into a team that was very well prepared for the zone and simply made everything they put up. Whether or not we should have gone man at some point will be debated until probably 10 years after JB retires but it's sort of immaterial in the sense that we didn't and we don't. The broader point is that the guys on the floor didn't get it done.

So with that, what do we want to see when this team takes the floor next November? I have a laundry list here so I don't think we'll see it all, but it's probably an interesting place to start the discussion.

I'll get into our offense a bit more later but I was watching the first 10 mins or so of the Iowa/Tennessee game and those teams are playing ball$ out, flying up and down the court and making plays in transition. I know it's not literally true but it felt like I saw more fast break and, probably equally as important, secondary break opportunities in those 10 minutes than we generated in a season.

Doubt we'll ever see the return of the late 80s style under JB and we're probably unlikely to see an offensive juggernaut like the 09-10 team, but teams are increasingly running five guys who can play offense out there so at times you're going to have to score. We were actually pretty significantly improved in this area this season over last (we lost I think five games when holding teams under 60 last year but we didn't lose a single game that way this season (perhaps b/c we weren't good enough defensively to slow teams down that much, but we did hold 13 teams under 60 and we were 13-0).

But the only shootout we won -- somehow -- was Duke. We were 2-11 in games where teams scored 70. The reality is teams are built to score and the rules and styles dictate that you're going to have a long day sometimes if the only way you win is holding teams 10-15 or 20 points below their averages.

One of the simplest fixes is getting the players we have that can makes some plays with their athleticism into the frontcourt faster. I see three key factors here: 1 -- Can't have our bigs wrestling off imaginary defenders like Chukwu did so often; 2 -- Can't have our guards getting an outlet, steal or long rebound and covering it up like their personal pot of gold and 3 -- and this one may be the most important -- We need to get people filling lanes and getting down the court instead of having four guys asking the one guy with the ball to pass it to them.

I honestly believe this is really basketball 101. Get the ball and go. Don't have to shoot in 10 seconds or less but early shotclock offense and the occasionally fast break or secondary break has to become a bigger part of our arsenal. It was better this season than last but it needs to be a good step or two better next season.

Whatever we call our offense and however you'd explain it to someone, the bottom line is that it basically sucks. We don't have guys who break other teams down and we're unlikely to have that next year either. In fact, Frank and Tyus were probably our two 'best' players at this and they're gone. But we've had good offensive teams without that -- 09-10 featured Scoop, who was OK at best, Andy and Triche (no ability to blow by defenders), Johnson and Joseph (excellent in the open court and slashing in transition but not dribble-drive guys) and Arinze and RJ (excellent post offense but obviously not putting the ball on the floor).

Maybe Carey or Goodine bring a bit more of that element next season but we're likely to be in a spot where we need to create offense in the halfcourt without a ton of dribble drives. Maybe it's a matter of running Buddy and JGIII off more screens, running Marek/Oshae high-low action, a more effective version of the high ball screen if Carey/Goodine/Marek are a bit more explosive than the Chukwu/Frank/Tyus efforts this year. Maybe it's getting a bit more creative with Hughes so he's not just shooting threes from the wing.

I don't know exactly what the answer is, but watching us run that lame ball screen over and over again as Baylor was pulling away and we were just launching contested long jumpers was brutal. We have to be better and as much as I love JB, that falls at his feet.

I'm not entirely against Marek playing more and I love the idea of a healthy Sidibe ... but we saw Marek get abused in certain matchups defensively even late in the year and (sadly) I really wonder if we ever see the Sidibe we saw early last season. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't know.

I don't know if we take a run at a kid like Smits or someone or if the staff just feels like after another offseason Marek can be pretty competent in there defensively, but man something has to change in there. We don't get a ton of rebounding from Hughes (more on that later) and Marek gets pushed around.

Lastly, we need to improve individually make sure we are using guys in such a way that we're accentuating what they do best. We've had a weird trend lately of guys showing promise early and then never really reaching a higher level -- Brissett and Lydon are both good players but look like fishes out of water offensively for some reason; Battle improved but we really probably needed him to do wayyyyy too much; Frank got better but never developed into the senior leader that helps make a 20-win season more like a 23-win season; Chukwu was stronger with the ball incredibly inconsistent; Sidibe is probably injured but obviously had a rough year; Dolezaj's jumper improved but his numbers went backwards; Roberson is another of these guys, Cooney struggled with any sort of consistency ... the list goes on.

I specifically didn't mention recruiting b/c I don't think you need Zion to win a bunch of basketball games, but you've got to help these guys improve (and put them in positions to excel with your game plans). Recruiting misses haven't helped, we all know this, but Tennessee has zero top 100 recruits. Same for Buffalo. You can win a lot of games with non-Zions or RJ Barretts -- in fact, anyone thing Cam Reddish (another guy we had our eyes on early in the process) would have actually helped us this year or would he have been yet another guy lingering outside shooting contested jumpers?

Oshae
A lot of talk of Oshae regressing this year, but I actually thought he improved. His counting numbers were down, but that had to be expected somewhat with the addition of Hughes and even Buddy knocking down some shots in the second half of the season. Though not necessarily impressive, his numbers on 2-point FGs improved and he spent far less time outside the arc in the second half of the season.

I'm actually fine with Oshae shooting some threes. Obviously 27% is not going to cut it, but he's a player who can make that shot and kids today shoot threes. They just do. I'm OK with it. What he needs to do is spend more time on his mid-range game and working on going straight up instead of constantly leaning side to side or forwards trying to draw contact. Get post position, take a power dribble and go up strong. Catch the ball at the elbow, square up and knock that jumper down if they give it to you.

He's also a guy who would benefit from running the floor and using his athleticism in transition or unsettled situations.

Marek
Gotta add weight, obviously, but he's never going to come back jacked and play at 225, so he is what he is in that way to a degree. Also needs to cut down on the silly fouls. But ultimately I just have him working all summer on that jumper. Make teams pay for playing you with heavier dudes. Step out and knock down some threes, cut across the lane and knock down the jumper. Get confident with that jumper and play aggressively offensively. I really think this is a kid who should be a double-figure scorer -- or at least it should be something that happens far more often than the three times we saw it this year.

By the way, not saying Marek needs to start playing like he's christian laettner but if he's going to be playing big minutes at the 5 and he's going to be giving up some buckets on one end b/c of his lack of heft, he needs to confidently make some teams pay on the offensive end for playing him with stronger dudes.

One plus with Marek is that he could theoretically help us cover those corner threes a bit better than Chukwu.

Carey
Handle, handle, handle. I would be living with him in the gym working on his handle. His shooting will be fine even if he's not great from outside (we shouldn't lack for shooting) but he's a very quick kid with a pretty nice feel for getting to the basket and finding teammates. If he's strong with the ball, that would be a nice help for this team that could have two guys playing at the 2 without great handles (Buddy, JGIII) and a team in desperate need of being able to play a guy who can up the tempo, which we've seen Jalen do.

Defensively his rotations in the zone aren't great, but that's not that unusual for a frosh. Hopefully those get better with reps b/c he's quick enough and long enough to be solid.

Hughes
Hughes had a pretty solid initial year but he's got to diversify his game a bit. He took 68% of his shots from three, which is probably OK b/c he's not settling for a ton of mid-range jumpers, but he's a guy who can finish those 15-footers and get shots in the paint and should be able to get to the line more (about 3 FTs a game). But ultimately what would really help is if he's a stronger rebounder (4.7 rpg in ACC play isn't getting it done) and he's rarely finding teammates (1.5 assists/game in ACC play).

That three spot is typically a guy who can do a bunch of things and right now Hughes is mostly a spot up shooter and not even a guy we get coming off screens very often. This is where a better offensive system might be able to help him. Right now, if he's shooting well he's a big player for us, but when he's not his game is limited to the occasional weak side block or a steal now and then. That's got to improve.

Buddy
There were lots of Buddy/Rautins comps during the season which was driving me crazy b/c while Buddy shot the ball very well and improved defensively, he's still at best an average defensive player (Rautins, at least as a senior was elite), adequate but not great or even good passer (Rautins was excellent), and he's still learning how to move enough without the ball to generate enogh open looks to be a consistent scorer (which is fine, he's a freshman). But one of the best compliments you can pay a player is to say they had a positive impact even when they were missing shots. Rautins was big this way. Buddy, not so much.

Love to see Buddy absolutely crush conditioning in the offseason. If he can get himself a half-step quicker it would make a huge difference on both ends of the floor. He has to take a big step forward defensively and he has to be able to catch-and-shoot quickly. If you watch Reddick play, he is wearing people out with his movement and he's gotten faster as a pro. He is in constant motion offensively and then he's working hard on the other end. Elite conditioning is the only way to sustain that.

Sidibe
Get healthy. If that's possible it would be a massive lift for this team. Hard to state just how important that is.

Braswell
No idea what his offseason should be since we saw so little of him, but he's an intriguing guy. Hard to imagine he's going to play a big role with Guerrier coming in and Oshae likely back in the fold, but I will say I thought he showed some nice feel for the game when he got opportunities.

Summary
Hard to imagine we'll be dramatically different next year than this. Should still be competitive and have some nice moments but would think it will still be a team with enough holes that it will be frustrating at times. The team goal, IMO, should be coming out ready to compete from game 1. Really a pretty brutal pre-conference season this year with two blowout losses to UConn and Oregon back-to-back (and UConn sucked), a loss to UB which hurts even if they are pretty good and a loss to a decent ODU team but one that we had a 12-point second-half lead on. That's not to mention some games against lesser teams that were far too close for comfort. Need to be better early.

It'll also be interesting to watch what we get from the new kids. But ultimately it's not the most exciting time to be a syracuse basketball fan these days.

Shameless bump b/c I’m interested in what people think on this looking forward to next season.

Would definitely love to see an uptempo 9+ player rotation; even suffer some early growing pains to develop it... Oh never mind...
Guards: Carey - 25mins Goodine - 15mins Buddy - 25 mins JGIII - 15
Forwards: Hughes - 30mins Brissett - 25mins Guerrier- 15mins Braswell - 10mins
Center: Sidibe - 20 Dolezaj 20mins

Last edited:
Would definitely love to see an uptempo 9+ player rotation; even suffer some early growing pains to develop it... Oh never mind...
Guards: Carey - 25mins Goodine - 15mins Buddy - 25 mins JGIII - 15
Forwards: Hughes - 30mins Brissett - 25mins Guerrier- 15mins Braswell - 10mins
Center: Sidibe - 20 Dolezaj 20mins
A lot of the players could be closer in talent level so we could possibly see a bit deeper rotation than JB usually runs. But we know he won’t be going Leonard Hamilton-style 11 deep. I do think it could be advantageous to play 9-10 guys if there’s no wide discrepancy in talent level.

A lot of the players could be closer in talent level so we could possibly see a bit deeper rotation than JB usually runs. But we know he won’t be going Leonard Hamilton-style 11 deep. I do think it could be advantageous to play 9-10 guys if there’s no wide discrepancy in talent level.
Makes too much sense right?
But, if I had a quarter for every time...

Shameless bump b/c I’m interested in what people think on this looking forward to next season.

You've got a lot of great stuff in here, but this stands out: "We need to get people filling lanes and getting down the court instead of having four guys asking the one guy with the ball to pass it to them."

Where have all the basketball players gone? It's gotten worse every year for 6 years now.

Oshae

Marek

Carey

Hughes

Buddy

Sidibe

Braswell

Summary

Great post. I think one of the keys for next year is collectively doing the little things that win games. This year we lost the hustle battle and did not extend the effort to get those loose balls and long rebounds. Other teams were tougher, on the floor more and wanted it more. As a team, free throw shooting needs to get better. O’Shea needs to be in the mid to high 70’s, Hughes around 80. Buddy around 90. Carey can not be in the 60’s and if Sidibe wants to play he cant be at 50. Little things win games and we were not good at these little things last year.

Cuse!

More than I can remember this team fell behind in the second half. We also typically started each game ice cold.
Just one small quibble. Buddy has the quickest shot on the team. Sometimes he hesitates but his shot is quick. It took Rautins several years to become a more complete player. Initially he was a one dimensional outside shooter that seldom got to the line. As to Carey, I am concerned.

Great OP...

I agree with everything you wrote. My fear is that somehow JB goes back to the same ol same ol next year and we are slow paced and again painful to watch. But the reality is that next year's team is constructed so differently from the last few versions of our team that I don't see how we can possibly grind out wins. We are going to take a huge hit on D and rebounding by replacing Frank, Tyus and Chukwu with some combo of JG3, Carey, Goodine at guard and Marek, Sidibe and whoever the freshman center is. If we don't push the ball and outscore teams I have no idea how we will stay in games. The dynasty squad was the worst defensive team I can remember, yet position by position those guys had way more defensive potential than next year's squad.

If we try to grind out games next year with the squad as constructed I am not sure we get to 20 wins. My hope and belief are that JB is deliberately moving away from a defense-first philosophy and more to a pace and space approach and we will roll that out next year. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the plan is with the roster construction. I am looking forward to feedback from Italy and really curious to see how next year's squad plays. I think we will be all pleasantly surprised by the offense and hopefully not too disappointed with the D.

More than I can remember this team fell behind in the second half. We also typically started each game ice cold.
Just one small quibble. Buddy has the quickest shot on the team. Sometimes he hesitates but his shot is quick. It took Rautins several years to become a more complete player. Initially he was a one dimensional outside shooter that seldom got to the line. As to Carey, I am concerned.

Concerned about Carey how? As a player or him transferring?

I get what you're saying about Rautins, though I'd argue he was a good passer from day 1. My biggest thing is Rautins made second-team all-BE. His name gets thrown around as basically a good shooter -- which he was -- but he made that team b/c people recognized how much impact he had defensively and offensively (pushing the tempo with long outlets and creatively finding people for easy buckets game after game). I realize this was not what Andy was as a frosh, per se, but rather my point is two-fold: 1) that's a really high bar and 2) a lot of projection. Buddy would need to get demonstrably quicker to be that kind of factor defensively and really round out his offensive game to be that kind of player overall. I'm not sure it's impossible, just think it's a tall ask and I feel like a lot of folks here view Rautins as a guy who was a really good shooter and that's about it.

Great post. I think one of the keys for next year is collectively doing the little things that win games. This year we lost the hustle battle and did not extend the effort to get those loose balls and long rebounds. Other teams were tougher, on the floor more and wanted it more. As a team, free throw shooting needs to get better. O’Shea needs to be in the mid to high 70’s, Hughes around 80. Buddy around 90. Carey can not be in the 60’s and if Sidibe wants to play he cant be at 50. Little things win games and we were not good at these little things last year.

Cuse!

Agree on this count. Need to play with energy. I feel like player movement offensively is a big part of that as well. We did an awful lot of watching and it carried over on the other end of the floor. Pure conjecture on my part but it felt that way watching this team.

I don't think we need to be exceptionally deep like 10 or 11 but I do think we'll see something more like 9 b/c I have to feel they'll try to find minutes for JGIII/Carey/Buddy/Oshae/Sidibe (if healthy)/Marek/Hughes/Guerrier at a minimum, which is 8. Wouldn't be surprised to see Goodine in that category as well.

To me, JB plays the guys he trusts. The trust factor isn't real high for any of that group beyond Oshae (he's played a TON of minutes in two years), Buddy (for obvious reasons) and Marek. I even think Hughes needs to take a step forward to be guaranteed the minutes he had. I think JB trusts him, but he needs to do some work on the boards, especially if we have Marek at the 5.

I also think it's worth noting that we really don't want to sacrifice wins at the beginning of the season if we don't have to. You aren't guaranteed depth b/c you play more guys early. I'm not saying that getting some young guys some run doesn't pay off at some point but we've had a lot of bad Nov. losses lately and we need to reverse that trend. I'd see that as a priority more than trying to establish 9 or 10 guys who can play key roles later in the season.

I get what you're saying about Rautins, though I'd argue he was a good passer from day 1. My biggest thing is Rautins made second-team all-BE. His name gets thrown around as basically a good shooter -- which he was -- but he made that team b/c people recognized how much impact he had defensively and offensively (pushing the tempo with long outlets and creatively finding people for easy buckets game after game). I realize this was not what Andy was as a frosh, per se, but rather my point is two-fold: 1) that's a really high bar and 2) a lot of projection. Buddy would need to get demonstrably quicker to be that kind of factor defensively and really round out his offensive game to be that kind of player overall. I'm not sure it's impossible, just think it's a tall ask and I feel like a lot of folks here view Rautins as a guy who was a really good shooter and that's about it.

Buddy as a freshman>than Andy as a freshman.

Buddy needs to work on catching and shooting off screens, like Rautins did. Too often he kinda stands around or just floats there. Hopefully, he’ll work on rubbing off picks and getting shots off quickly. He needs work there.

I think I’d be comfortable making the arguement that senior year Rautins was the best overall SU shooting guard since Moten.

I believe we will see different team play next year.

We depended too much on Frank and Tyus the past two years. A lot of that by necessity but maybe a little over the top. Tyus was forced to go into hero mode often enough that he would go too far especially in the second half. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the time he was in control of the ball. Next year we won't have one person who needs or should be put in that position.

Many likes on the Marek thoughts especially being smart enough to quit reaching for the ball or over the back type fouls. He IS a smart player but too many times overly anxious to make a play.

It will be interesting, to say the least, when it comes to the freshman. We need them to be able to contribute to some degree.

Oh, Braswell. There is something about the way he handles himself when he has gotten on the court. He seems more sure of himself than you'd expect from a bench player. I would not be surprised to see him be a solid contributor next year.

Rautins should have been MVP of the league his senior year. So much more than a shooter.

By the end of Rautins sophomore year he was on the CMNT, albeit the beneficiary of a little nepotism perhaps. It's not like he just bloomed in November 2009.

Buddy as a freshman>than Andy as a freshman.

Dude. This is about the 83rd time I've seen this (not all you, but I think you have posted this before). I get this. I'm not arguing that your point isn't true. I'm not even arguing that I definitively know Buddy won't be better than Andy.

I'm simply saying senior year Rautins is a very, very high bar. I don't care if he was a team manager as a freshman, for Buddy to get there he needs to get quicker, and improve remarkably on the defensive end while emerging as an elite passer and an elite shooter. Or some other such combination that puts him in that discussion. And, to be clear, I'm rooting for this to happen.

But let's also not forget that vast improvement year-over-year is far from a guarantee. Ask Roberson ... or Lydon ... or Frank Howard ... or Oshae ... or any one of a number of guys. There are players like Gbinije, Rautins, Rak and CJ Fair who take some sort of path that leads to significant improvement. There are others that don't find that success.

By the end of Rautins sophomore year he was on the CMNT, albeit the beneficiary of a little nepotism perhaps. It's not like he just bloomed in November 2009.

agreed -- and his junior year per 40 numbers are actually pretty impressive as well.

I think I’d be comfortable making the arguement that senior year Rautins was the best overall SU shooting guard since Moten.

Yeah, always hard to compare such vastly different eras and styles (moten was obviously a pure scoring machine) but you could make the argument. In general it was a great year -- he and Waiters, IMO, stand out this century along with GMac's frosh season (when he actually just played the 2 for the most part) and maybe a Devendorf year in there. Any way you slice it we've had some good ones the past 20ish years.

I'm going to wait until the roster is closer to being settled.

I think there's probably only 1 more signing - a big guy - and it doesn't sound like Brissett is leaving, based on his interview the other day.

He does it once in a while. That doesn't mean he does it all season long, but a lot of years, there have been 9 guys who played until December, and then 8 during conference, and then 7 in the NCAAs. 6 or 7 guys can't play 35 games. They'll get injured from the wear and tear. We saw that just 2 seasons ago.

The problem with projecting nexts years team is we have allot of complementary pieces but no center piece. We don’t have “the guy”...thats a problem. Maybe someone makes a jump or Guerrier comes in and takes over a la a Carmello style but neither option has a high probability. Next year feels like a transition year. Tread water develop some talent and the year after you maybe have a Carey/Boeheim/Guerrier trio that has some promise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom