Looking back at the last minute TD pass | Syracusefan.com

Looking back at the last minute TD pass

upperdeck

Living Legend
Shrader and his legs when we go 5 wide are gonna cause teams to really have to decide how to play that formation now..

VT went man and single high with a spy. But the safety played more to the wide side and couldnt get over to help the DB who got beat.. If teams are gonna that route with a spy thats gonna leave 1x1 deep for someone depending on where the safety tries to help.

If you play a 2 deep Shrader is gonna run if we get any kind of blocking.

if we run that formation with 4 verts he could run all day.

options r nice.

teams that try to single Alford up on a LB like that are just asking for it when he plays that inside slot position.

Shrader and his legs when we go 5 wide are gonna cause teams to really have to decide how to play that formation now..

VT went man and single high with a spy. But the safety played more to the wide side and couldnt get over to help the DB who got beat.. If teams are gonna that route with a spy thats gonna leave 1x1 deep for someone depending on where the safety tries to help.

If you play a 2 deep Shrader is gonna run if we get any kind of blocking.

if we run that formation with 4 verts he could run all day.

options r nice.

teams that try to single Alford up on a LB like that are just asking for it when he plays that inside slot position.
The only thing that worries me on those vertical routes is GS being able to lead throws to streaking wrs. Under throwing those routes is like playing with fire.

Yep. We are going to get vertical opportunities. I think most will take their chances and still spy Shrader.
Agreed. Until Shrader burns teams deep on a regular basis, opposing defenses will play the odds and spy Shrader.

I expect Shrader and receivers will continue to improve and defenses will have to take the deep threat seriously, possibly by the end of the season.

In that situation, the VT DC has to be thinking more about preventing a long Shraader run(or a repeat of the short pass-and-run over the middle to Tucker, like the previous week) that would have put SU in range of a game-winning FG.

In that situation, the VT DC has to be thinking more about preventing a long Shraader run(or a repeat of the short pass-and-run over the middle to Tucker, like the previous week) that would have put SU in range of a game-winning FG.

Yeah, makes it a rough conundrum.

This is a team as a DC I don’t want to be prepping for right now.

An elite RB who is leading the nation in rushing.

A qb who has great legs and can move the chains and a will to fight. Isn’t afraid to make a throw to anyone on the field and and really can see plays develop whether it’s a long pass or a short pass or a qb keeper

It’s important to note that VT came into this game with a game plan on how to stop Shrader and Tuck for that matter. It wasn’t in doubt who would be the qb and Shrader had a coming out party accounting for 5tds! 2 in the air and 3 on the ground

Let’s also not forget he had 174 yards rushing.

WOW!!

The only thing that worries me on those vertical routes is GS being able to lead throws to streaking wrs. Under throwing those routes is like playing with fire.
I thought Shrader threw two incompletions that were really well thrown that our WRs didn't come up with. The one to Queely in the end zone was perfect but Queeley was unable to control the ball while trying to keep his feet in. Would have been a great catch but definitely do-able. The other was to Sharrod down to the goal line. Again, would have been a sweet catch( he was oh so close) but again do-able. Both balls lead the receiver nicely.
He is getting better each game folks.

I thought Shrader threw two incompletions that were really well thrown that our WRs didn't come up with. The one to Queely in the end zone was perfect but Queeley was unable to control the ball while trying to keep his feet in. Would have been a great catch but definitely do-able. The other was to Sharrod down to the goal line. Again, would have been a sweet catch( he was oh so close) but again do-able. Both balls lead the receiver nicely.
He did. Both wrs probably should have caught those throws. I'm not thrilled with Queeley's inability to make plays on go routes. He definitely could have had a TD on that pass.
Sharod could have caught the deep ball to him.
They seem to have trouble putting their hands together while running so they can get two hands on the ball simultaneously.

This is the Baylor offense. Spread them way out. Run run run. Go vertical. Dino's version, I don't think, has ever really been as vertical.

Last edited:
the issue has been drops . poor throws, and often the decision has been too late.. There were a couple other verts that were open st as well.. one Shrader had Cooper wide open deep but his arm got tipped as he threw and it became a duck. i think some of it is not reading the field well enough to have a feel of who will be coming open and waiting until he sees who is open and his arm is really not made for that late throw decision.

but this team over the year has probably dropped close to 10 TDs . Some are tough catches but you need to come up with a few of them. Getting better though.

Yep. We are going to get vertical opportunities. I think most will take their chances and still spy Shrader.

As they should. No reason to overreact. We had a perfect pass, with a great catch. The clear strength is still Shrader's mobility and capitalizing on running lanes.

On tv; it was difficult to make out just how much a part atmospherics were playing as well. Could have been those throws that went into the wind, were being held up in it a bit. Listen, if Shrader eventually starts throwing like Marino, great. But, with his legs, and Sean's legs; he doesn't even have to improve that much because of all the attention being focused on the running game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom